• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CMBS pbem combat shots
02-11-2015, 02:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-03-2016, 04:03 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: Beginner wants opponents
(02-11-2015, 01:17 AM)animalshadow Wrote: Hey PoorOldSpike,
Here's my AAR: https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=67636
Thanks for the game! :)

Thanks mate, we'll have to arrange a return match..:)
Congratulations on your Tactical Victory, but my pathetic excuse is that your choice of "Iron" Difficulty level completely threw me, I'd never played that level before and it took some getting used to, having to spot my own units as well as having to spot the enemy units!

[Image: CMBS-iron_zpsdg2lljbw.jpg~original]

Newcomer note, the levels are, in order of difficulty-
Iron
Elite
Warrior
Veteran
Basic Training

However I learnt a couple of useful things from the game, firstly NOT to unbutton my tanks on the false assumption that the commander will spot better, as it's best to leave him buttoned down in his tank so he can use his IR spotting devices.

Secondly I devised this tactic of charging at enemy ATGM vehicles to get inside their minimum range. For example Animalshadows Bradley's TOW's (yellow circle) have a minimum range of 200m, so I order my T-90 to charge at max speed along the red arrow..
[Image: CMBS-charge1_zpsx10ypoop.jpg~original]

..and it works like a dream, the Bradley can't fire its TOW because I'm too close, so it slams into reverse and hoses the T-90 down with 30mm cannon fire, smashing my optics and making my main gun unfireable, so obviously cannons can hurt tanks.
(note in the Damage panel how the gun data has turned red indicating it's knackered)
[Image: CMBS-charge2_zpshzasrfu8.jpg~original]

Next turn I reversed the T-90 back to safety, suffering more optics damage as the Bradley continued cannoning me..
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2015, 03:56 AM,
Good read. Keep 'em coming, POS!
Send this user an email
02-11-2015, 04:19 AM,
(02-11-2015, 02:54 AM)PoorOldSpike Wrote: However I learnt a couple of useful things from the game, firstly NOT to unbutton my tanks on the false assumption that the commander will spot better, as it's best to leave him unbuttoned down in his tank so he can use his IR spotting devices.

Oh yes this is extremely important. There is some older equipment where being unbuttoned is better but all the new stuff is fight buttoned up all the way.

(02-11-2015, 02:54 AM)PoorOldSpike Wrote: Secondly I devised this tactic of charging at enemy ATGM vehicles to get inside their minimum range. For example Animal Shadows Bradley's TOW's (yellow circle) have a minimum range of 200m, so I order my T-90 to charge at max speed along the red arrow..

Oh how very Red October of you. Nice idea. Next time it might work.
02-11-2015, 05:39 AM,
(02-10-2015, 08:00 AM)PoorOldSpike Wrote: PS- does anybody know if the CMBS ladder is up and running yet? I tried reporting Grobers win but when I get to 'Select result', nothing happens.
Has anybody reported a game yet? The ladder looks blank and empty to me.

Try it now, it should work.
Send this user an email
02-11-2015, 05:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2015, 10:49 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
A perfect peaceful day down on the farm, what could possibly go wrong except for Grober's incoming bomb?
[Image: CMBS-groberA_zpsu3zhdzi0.jpg~original]

[Image: CMBS-groberB_zpsnnr49uvc.jpg~original]

..and we're left with the ruins of the barn inside a smoking crater.
I keep hearing the sound of a jet plane but I didn't buy any AAA or SAM's so I can't do anything about it (sniffle)..
[Image: CMBS-GroberC_zps53tx1o8u.jpg~original]
02-11-2015, 07:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-15-2015, 04:00 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
MWAAAH! I'm off to a great start, NOT!
2 games played, 2 games lost! Oh well at least it gives me sulking rights (sniffle)
02-11-2015, 08:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2015, 01:00 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
Grober's jet jockey is back, this time with a rocket salvo which hurt a few of my infantry in the barn, but my Abrams weren't scratched.
I replayed this turn several times wth pauses and zooms and different angles to try to spot the jet, but it's invisible, I only heard its engine and saw its rockets and bomb/missile trails..
[Image: CMBS-air-ghe_zpskijliizq.jpg~original]

EDIT- the game just ended and Grober told me he bought 1 x Su-25, and that it was armed with-
2x 515kg bombs
122mm HE rockets
25 mm HE cannon

And for the record, during the whole game I counted-
2 bomb attacks (left huge craters, destroyed nearby Humvee but didn't scratch nearby Abrams)
1 rocket attack (left medium craters around tanks but none were damaged. Infantry in nearby barn took a few casualties)
3 strafing runs with cannons (below: spattered the Abrams but did no damage, the craters are from the earlier rocket airstrike)-
[Image: CMBS-strafe-lls_zpsygluqgam.jpg~original]
02-12-2015, 10:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2015, 10:56 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
AARGH! are BMP-2's junk or is it just me?
I placed my ATGM-armed BMP-2 here early on to ambush anything coming from behind that barn, but when Jomni's Abrams trundles into view (blue circle), the BMP just sits watching it and lets it fire first (down the dotted line) and he's toast.
It's broad daylight so the BMP didn't need any fancy optics to see a hulking great tank in front of him, so I can't figger why he didn't let a missile fly the instant it appeared!
All I can assume is that he might have seen it better if he'd been unbuttoned, but you can't unbutton BMP's!
[Image: CMBS-fhr_zpsc30ynnhp.jpg~original]
02-13-2015, 02:33 AM,
Yeah BMP2 are second rate gear these days. And yes unbuttoning them is a better way to fight. Wait, you could not unbutton it? That does not sound right.

Also don't for get that even if he spots first the ATGM takes longer to actually leave the tube due to the length of aiming.
02-13-2015, 06:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-15-2015, 04:03 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
(02-13-2015, 02:33 AM)A Canadian Cat Wrote: Yeah BMP2 are second rate gear these days. And yes unbuttoning them is a better way to fight. Wait, you could not unbutton it? That does not sound right.
Also don't for get that even if he spots first the ATGM takes longer to actually leave the tube due to the length of aiming.

Yeah, CMBS is still new so there are bugs and glitches and stuff that need to be worked out.