• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Updating Scenarios in Data Base
01-12-2012, 08:14 PM,
RE: Updating Scenarios in Data Base
Good point Herr Huib! Thank You Sign

I originally looked at the scenarios as "mine" and put my real name as author. I should have done it differently. Desert

Buds

HSL

Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2012, 08:24 PM,
(01-12-2012, 08:09 PM)Huib Versloot Wrote: On a side note: it is recommendable to use the same name as handle and as scenario designer. Then all your scenarios will appear in your profile which is very convenient is you want to have an overview how much they are played, what the comments are etc.

Excellent side note advice! :)

When I first starting developing CS scenarios... I listed my "real" name as the designer. But it was confusing with a mix of scenarios with both my real and handle names... and as Huib correctly points out... if you use your handle as the identified scenario developer... all scenarios will list under your Blitz profile!

Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
01-13-2012, 04:20 AM,
(01-12-2012, 08:01 PM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: Uh ... Dave? Search

I sorted the list by "author". Here it is in EFII listed with two more of his:

https://www.theblitz.club/scenarios/Camp...7&ladder=2

Scenario info is there but, not the downloadable scenario files.
I think the problem may be that John is using his "real" name and the dBase code only recognizes his "handle"? Thus Ivan the Big cannot update or upload to John Pirman's scenario.
That might be why HSL cannot upgrade Ed Silcox scenarios too?

Cheers2

HSL

OK, Raz has helped me figure this out. First, Ed, can you try again. I've gone into the dbase and made some adjustments. If it works I'll tell you all what's going on and then start applying fixes as time permits.

Thanks,
Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-13-2012, 04:48 AM,
Huib, yours should be fixed now too, and Big Ivan, my sincerest apologies. I think I searched, but omitted the astericks (I think I hear Huib laughing). Thanks for the link Ed. File's uploaded, but John, you should now be able to make edits to the scenario details.

Let me know this is working guys.

Thanks,
Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-13-2012, 05:48 AM,
(01-13-2012, 04:48 AM)Scud Wrote: Huib, yours should be fixed now too, and Big Ivan, my sincerest apologies. I think I searched, but omitted the astericks (I think I hear Huib laughing). Thanks for the link Ed. File's uploaded, but John, you should now be able to make edits to the scenario details.

Let me know this is working guys.

Thanks,
Dave

It works! Thanks a lot.

Huib
01-13-2012, 06:04 AM,
Great!!

Here's the deal. Scenarios that were added prior to the new "Venus" site didn't log the uploaders ID. To improve security and to prevent others from tampering with your files, Raz required a check against your user ID and the original uploaders ID. Since the original uploader/modifier ID column in the dbase didn't exist prior to Venus, you get the permission denied error.

So to fix this, I have to go into the database and apply your user ID to all of your scenarios that don't already have it. Lotta work, especially for the prolific designers. NOTE: this doesn't apply to post-venus uploads, they should work fine.

I'll try to get to KKR's and von Earlman's next. If other designers from the olden days need theirs fixed I'll try to get to them on a first-come, first served basis.

Please speak up here or send me an email.

Thanks guys, sorry for the problems,
Dave
Send this user an email
01-13-2012, 11:22 AM,
Wooooo Hooooo!

***Scud, Raz, Huib and HSL and anyone else I may have overlooked***

You gents are da men!!

I updated info and added scenario!

The space-time continuim has once again settled into a state of rest.

"The universe is again at peace tonight!"

Ivan the Big:smoke2:
01-13-2012, 11:37 AM,
Brainstorming Smoke8

:band of brothers:

:legion:

Horray2

Working together can solve just about anything?

:drink:

HSL
01-13-2012, 07:12 PM,
(01-13-2012, 06:04 AM)Scud Wrote: Great!!

Here's the deal. Scenarios that were added prior to the new "Venus" site didn't log the uploaders ID. To improve security and to prevent others from tampering with your files, Raz required a check against your user ID and the original uploaders ID. Since the original uploader/modifier ID column in the dbase didn't exist prior to Venus, you get the permission denied error.

So to fix this, I have to go into the database and apply your user ID to all of your scenarios that don't already have it. Lotta work, especially for the prolific designers. NOTE: this doesn't apply to post-venus uploads, they should work fine.

I'll try to get to KKR's and von Earlman's next. If other designers from the olden days need theirs fixed I'll try to get to them on a first-come, first served basis.

Please speak up here or send me an email.

Thanks guys, sorry for the problems,
Dave

A question remains. What would happen now if someone changes his handle to the name he used in the scenario designer field. I know that before Raz added the extra security, I changed my handle from Alfonsdepalfons to Huib Versloot because I wanted to have my scenarios listed under my profile. That worked perfectly and all the scns showed up. But what happens now when there is a check with you're user id if you change your handle. Is the handle the primary key and checked against, or does each member have another unique id, that is perhaps only visible in the system.
In other words, suppose KKR where to change his handle to Rod Coles (his designer name), would he then see all his scns listed under his profile, as opposed to now? The other question, will this trigger a "permission denied" whn trying to modify a scenario as the original upload name is not the same anymore.

Huib
01-14-2012, 03:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-14-2012, 03:33 AM by raz_atoth.)
Yes,if KKR would change his username to 'Rod Coles' right now,let's say,he would still have those scenarios listed on his profile.
However,if he'll add new scenarios to the database he will need to use the new 'Rod Coles' in the scenario author field,if he wants for the new scenario to be listed in his profile.
Also,if he'll modify any of the older-which still have KKR as author,he'll need to update the name to 'Rod Coles' for the modified scenario to be listed in his profile after the update.
And no,changing the username doesn't affect the ability to update your scenarios in any way.
Send this user an email