• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Updating Scenarios in Data Base
01-08-2012, 06:30 PM,
Updating Scenarios in Data Base
Hey Folks,

Any ideas on how to enter scenario data like the scenario itself and all the supporting files into the data base?

I got a dreaded "You don't have permission Boy to get in here!" when I tried to update my own scenario thru the modify tab!

I'm trying to update my scenario **Counterattack on the Dubysa with the actual scenario files and supporting org/bmp/map files. Its a scenario from long ago originally posted on the Wargammer site and I'd like to incude it in this data base. It's been played and logged a few times with some good reviews.

Cheers!

Ivan the Big:smoke2:
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2012, 06:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2012, 06:52 PM by Huib Versloot.)
RE: Updating Scenarios in Data Base
(01-08-2012, 06:30 PM)Ivan The Big Wrote: Hey Folks,

Any ideas on how to enter scenario data like the scenario itself and all the supporting files into the data base?

I got a dreaded "You don't have permission Boy to get in here!" when I tried to update my own scenario thru the modify tab!

I'm trying to update my scenario **Counterattack on the Dubysa with the actual scenario files and supporting org/bmp/map files. Its a scenario from long ago originally posted on the Wargammer site and I'd like to incude it in this data base. It's been played and logged a few times with some good reviews.

Cheers!

ps. I know it has worked in the past. I have updated an exisiting scenario several times with an improved version. The only thing you had to think of was to use a zipfile with a different name then the one you're replacing to avoid a unique constraint error.

The moderators have to look into this. I tried it too and got the same error. I then tried if I could modify one of my own scenarios to see if the permissions are restricted to thsoe scenarios that are linked to my own user name but got the same. It is critical that scenario designers have acces to their scenarios at all times.

Huib

ps. It has worked before. I updated many scenarios with improved versions in the past. You just have to make sure not to use the same name for the zip file to avoid an unique constraint.
01-10-2012, 10:40 AM,
Thanks Huib for the kind explanation but unfortunately it does me minimal good when dealing with a scenario I wrote in '05 or '06. The scenario and zip name is the same, so I am perplexed as why they would force something different!?

I can't even remember what my e-mail address was back then because I was in a different part of the country under a different RR system. But then again as I recall I was under phone modum and not high speed! Oh wow this can get interesting!

The whole issue seems to be a bit complex for adding something simple as a scenario that I created.

Anyway Wargamers win, Blitz's loss...

01-10-2012, 11:33 AM,
On a lark, I tried to update a scenario of mine and got the same message. Hang2

Disappointed as both of you must be. Orc

Maybe the mods can look into lightening up the burden on the scenario designers? Maybe not restricting their access to their own files? Horse2

Really, a vibrant and mature discussion might be in order?
I can understand if the mods do not want other files messed with. But, your own files should not be restricted?

Though, I also see the need to keep the data base protected. How many steps are needed?

cheers

HSL
01-10-2012, 12:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2012, 12:09 PM by K K Rossokolski.)
My first thought is that the club must allow access for designers to their own scens. This should be balanced by the designer posting his intention to modify a DB scenario, perhaps with advice as to why and what is involved. We should perhaps make a distinction between a mod using the existing file name(s), and one with file(s) renamed...which then IMO becomes effectively a new version.
PS.
Any steps taken should adhere to the KISS principle.
01-10-2012, 02:16 PM,
I've entered a trouble ticket. Clearly not the way it's supposed to be working.

I'll let you all know when I know.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-11-2012, 07:54 AM,
As Dave says this seems to be a bug, it is not our intention to block scenario designers from updating their own work.

Your patience is appreciated while our webmaster looks into this. ;)
01-11-2012, 07:55 AM,
Until this gets straightened out, email me your updated zipped files and a link to the scenario they go to and I'll try uploading them for you. Pretty sure the moderator tools will let me do this, but only one way to find out.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-11-2012, 10:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-11-2012, 10:39 AM by Big Ivan.)
[attachment=3412]

Dave and Foul,

Thanks for your help.

Problem is there is a lot of stuff besides the actual scenario files that make the experience so much better when looking up a scenario. But ego and detail not widthstanding here at least are the scenario files to play the game. Guess the detail will need to be updated later.

Cheers!!
Ivan the Big
01-11-2012, 10:52 AM,
John, had you added this scenario to the database previously and want the files updated, or is this brand new? I was under the impression you were trying to modify something you'd uploaded previously?

Dave
Send this user an email