• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Pre-planned arty fire on setup zones
07-05-2011, 06:07 AM,
RE: Pre-planned arty fire on setup zones
(07-01-2011, 03:04 AM)Herr Klopek Wrote: Good thread....another thing to consider:

On tiny to small maps the Americans can purchase real heavy arty for the cheep and even if you follow a "5 minute" rule they can literally wipe out the whole other side of the map.

On tiny/small maps if your opponent brings heavy arty-even if it's not preplanned-then you're most likely screwed ;) But,i guess this is true for all folks unlucky enough to be caught in an arty barrage,no matter the map/battle size.The difference is you still have a chance to pull your men back-and minimize the casualties if you notice the spotting rounds getting closer and closer on your positions :)
The main issue is with the pre-planned bombardment.In this case,you have no chance whatsoever to avoid the rounds.
That's why at this moment-unless someone puts some good reasons not to-i'm quite sure we'll soon have a 'code of conduct' which will explicitly specify that arty fire won't be allowed in the first 5 minutes in meeting engagements and on the attacker in attack/defense games.

Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2011, 01:13 AM,
I'm completely new to this website, but after purchasing the game I was wondering the same thing. Question:

In a pbem set up don't both players have the option to bomb set up zones and have artillery come in on both ends in the first turn since it's wego??
07-16-2011, 11:30 AM,
I have a question regarding the targeting of anywhere but the set-up zone on turn one. I ask because, one function of arty is to deny your enemy access to certain terrain. For instance, an important hilltop (not in set up area) will be targeted if I think it will eventually house a FO team. A main road into an OBJ or key terrain, to deny use of said road. Anybody see this as too gamey?
07-18-2011, 06:46 AM,
I think if you are the attacker there is no problem with pre-planned arty strike due to the fact that defenders setup zone is usually so big.

Oh the other hand meeting engagements and the defender side of the scenario shouldn't be allowed to nuke the attackers setup zone. The rule should say that.

There I've ruled on the matter make it happen.:)
07-18-2011, 09:08 AM,
There is another factor to be considered in the Arty on set-up question. Prep fire before an attack (not ME or defender as Zmoney remarks)) is a well established principle, why should we artificially remove that factor?
07-19-2011, 06:22 AM,
(07-16-2011, 11:30 AM)O Murchadha Wrote: I have a question regarding the targeting of anywhere but the set-up zone on turn one. I ask because, one function of arty is to deny your enemy access to certain terrain. For instance, an important hilltop (not in set up area) will be targeted if I think it will eventually house a FO team. A main road into an OBJ or key terrain, to deny use of said road. Anybody see this as too gamey?

Being a forward observer myself, I think this is the only right way to use arty. Artillery is really not about killing guys and blowing up vehicles. It's mainly about affecting the way the enemy will act. To force them into a position that is beneficial to your side by, like you said, denying them acces to certain areas or roads, by supressing them (not killing) while you advance, securing your flanks, feinting an attack, etc.

This being said, it surprises me that I actually need to see something to be able to shell it. The forward observer can get the coördinates for a road or a hill from just looking at a map. he may not be able to adjust fire because he can't see that target, but you should be able to just fire for effect without adjusting at the loss of accuracy.

Loving the game and the realistic implementation of artillery tough Big Grin