• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Modern War - Start Scenario hardest ever?
12-30-2010, 02:44 AM,
RE: Modern War - Start Scenario hardest ever?
I've been able to get to the buildings unharmed, basically using the M-1 smoke rounds to blind the objectives, but Rabbit's right, once you get there it's still a challenge to get a win. The SMAW's are nice weapons, but they degrade *very* fast. The A morale for the Iraqi's is also a very tough nut to crack. Disrupt the unit and the next turn they've rebounded back to normal. Very tough fight.

It's a tough little scenario, but it will give you a better appreciation for grabbing cover. Staying exposed in MW will get you pretty roughed up.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2010, 02:50 AM,
I forgot to change the loadout on the tank i wonder if that will help? I got near the building but i also could not crack it. Has anyone used the M-1 with success?
Send this user an email
12-30-2010, 03:09 AM,
(12-30-2010, 02:50 AM)BluntF Wrote: I forgot to change the loadout on the tank i wonder if that will help? I got near the building but i also could not crack it. Has anyone used the M-1 with success?

The SMAW also has three different loads, so keep that in mind. Same with the M203s.

The M-1 can't get too close into those bunkers with the RPG-16s floating around.

The difficult thing that Joao and the testing team had to balance was reality versus game-play. In reality, that M-1 would probably have vaporized those bunkers with a single shot, especially at the ranges on the SB scale, but if you make the game play exactly like that, you'd simply sit back, fire and destroy everything you saw, then have your troops waltz into the smoldering hexes unscathed. None of us believed that this would be any fun to play.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
12-30-2010, 09:40 AM,
Always switch to canister when you are using your M203 at 1 hex range, it's very deadly. If there are any new players reading this, or anyone new to the Blitz, here are a few very good old threads about gameplay and tactics:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=55301
https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=55927
https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...ica+at+war

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

12-30-2010, 09:52 AM,
That is probably my problem. Back to the scenario. I need to check my load outs
Send this user an email
12-30-2010, 05:52 PM,
I'm a newbie to the Squad Battles series, and am struggling big style with this "starter" scenario. Luckily I stumbled upon this thread, I'm hoping I can take the advice here and put it into practice. It does seem a rather harsh introduction to the game though.
Send this user an email
12-30-2010, 05:54 PM,
Well one thing is for sure Spelk, this is the hardest one I have encountered, but dont let that stop ya. Red Victory, Advance of the Reich and the other SB titles are great.

I tried it again tonight and used a lot of smoke but just couldnt crack those bunkers. Back to the drawing board.

I have been moving in using the top row of hexes. I may have to pick another path
Send this user an email
12-30-2010, 06:07 PM,
I'd assumed the tank would play a bigger part of suppressing (and inflicting casualties) than it seems to do. As soon as I opened the scenario I saw the tank, and the small collection of troops and assumed it was a tank assault supported by the infantry. But from what I can gather from the posts around the Net, it seems to be the tank is the support and you have to smoke your troops in close, get a lucky hit on the leaders in the bunker, to reduce morale and then assault the bunkers. All in 10 turns! *shudder* seems like a tall order for a newbie.

Still, its got me digging deep into the nuances of the game, and perhaps thats why its such a brick wall to progression initially. To force you into learning the depth of the game to succeed.
Send this user an email
12-30-2010, 10:28 PM,
I've started an AAR on this tutorial scenario, first couple of turns are up. I'm presenting it more or less move by move, so any Vets please chip in with comments and thoughts as it progresses. I'm definitely a novice at SB so be gentle. :)

Squad Battles: Modern War - The First Battle AAR - Part 1
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=1129
Send this user an email
12-31-2010, 07:30 AM,
Just a suggestion:

If you are having difficulty with the started scenario, try opening it up in the scenario editor and remove the bunkers. That might help make things a little easier for you. :)
Send this user an email