• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Modern War - Start Scenario hardest ever?
12-29-2010, 05:30 AM,
Modern War - Start Scenario hardest ever?
Has anyone actually been able to dislodge the Iraqi's from those bunkers in the Starter Tutorial scenario?

I find it impossible. I even switched sides and the computer stood no chance. it is like they are super bunkers
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2010, 06:38 AM,
RE: Modern War - Start Scenario hardest ever?
Switching sides actually makes things worse. The AI never handles the attack all that well, so it's no surprise that didn't work.

I've never played that starting scenario, but the Vietnam one is also a ball-buster. Almost made me give up playing SB before I even got started....
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
12-29-2010, 06:57 AM,
Yeah I cant crack it at all. I dont think they gave the Americans enough bunker buster support heh
Send this user an email
12-29-2010, 07:30 AM,
I do remember playing around with that scenario a bit, but couldn't find a write-up for it. I do recall being somewhat taken back by how difficult it was. The key to any type of success here is to use a lot of smoke to get into position. The M-203 has a smoke round, as does the M-1 main gun round. Use the smoke to get in close, then try to light up those bunkers as much as possible. Having the small units can make success here a bit of a challenge, as with the smaller amount of turns.

Just played it again with a major loss. It's a tough one, no question. I could never pin that unit in the bunker. Took out the leader, but couldn't quite get them pinned for the assault.

The SMAW is a nice weapon. Play around with the three different loads to see which is most effective against the bunker. My M-1 struggled to do much damage with either the AT or the HE loads.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
12-29-2010, 07:47 AM,
Yeah, that 80 protection factor is a bummer isn't it. :)

As Alan mentioned, the biggest key to this scenario is getting your infantry into the protected buildings without taking major losses. Your arsenal is very limited in terms of what can penetrate the buildings, so you will have to get in as tight as possible in order to assault the Iraqis if you want to have any hope of dislodging them.

To do that, you'll need lots of smoke while taking a careful path. It helps to enable "Visible Hexes" and then clicking in each of the industrial hexes where the enemy might be hiding to get an idea of what hexes they can see.

This is definitely a tough scenario, but it is an excellent one for helping you to develop some good habits when assaulting fortified positions. I got my butt kicked the first time I played this because I got sloppy in my approach. That caused me to analyze the situation a lot closer, forcing me to determine the best manner in which to approach the buildings, evaluate what weapons I had at my disposal and how best to use them.

Even once you reach the buildings, it is still a tough battle to reach the Objective hexes. The final assault against the Objective hexes is next to impossible if you cannot first pin or disrupt the units in there. But again, think about what you have available for resources and how best you can utilize them (e.g., this is where SMAWs, followed by smoke, 40mm cannister, and then finally just bodies will get you through).

And don't give up hope. I'll be happy to get more specific and less general in my suggestions if you are still having trouble.

Best,
Rabbit
12-29-2010, 10:02 AM,
I played it a couple of times and it is even tougher than I remember. Reaching the buildings unscathed is only part of the challenge; crossing the open ground to the Objective hexes is a real beast. You will need a certain amount of luck to knock out that leader in hex [9,4], otherwise you probably won't be able to successfully assault that hex until you do. Also keep in mind that the Iraqi units have very high morale in this scenario, so you should definitely try to disrupt/pin them before you assault them, otherwise it will be very tough to dislodge them.
12-29-2010, 10:27 AM,
I played it a three times straight during testing, and in the 2nd game I had a minor win, and the third a major win. Rabbit also beat me in his second go in a PBEM, the first was a disaster for him. Big Grin I enjoyed it, because it was very challeninging, but short and small enough that I didn't mind playing it a couple of times trying to win. Give it a few more tries, and smoke is very important. Or just call in the A10s... ;)

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

12-29-2010, 11:16 AM,
Wait there is support? Hmm somehow I didnt even catch the support. Ok Ill give it another go. I popped smoke all over and not even my tank could bust those bunkers.
Send this user an email
12-29-2010, 12:21 PM,
Sorry, I was just kidding, there isn't any support. Bad joke.... Big Grin The real marines would probably have a ton of it though. Careful movement and smoke will get you through.

Try out scenario 040.OBJ Peach-B if you want to have some fun with A10s though, it's pretty impressive.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

12-30-2010, 01:31 AM,
Yeah I was like LET ME MASH THAT RADIO BUTTON. Ha ha.
Send this user an email