SB tips needed
Can't seem to access these articles.
http://hosted.wargamer.com/SquadBattles/id117.htm

Where can I read them?
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2010, 05:27 PM,
RE: SB tips needed
(06-08-2010, 01:47 PM)jomni Wrote: Can't seem to access these articles.
http://hosted.wargamer.com/SquadBattles/id117.htm

Where can I read them?

http://tfe4.wordpress.com/supply-section...-articles/
06-08-2010, 06:04 PM,
Great!
Send this user an email
06-08-2010, 11:22 PM,
(06-08-2010, 06:04 PM)jomni Wrote: Great!

TFE4 has a lot of information in there. Poke around, you'll find some cool stuff.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
06-09-2010, 01:50 AM,
Of course, if you have any specific questions (how best to assault, prepare an ambush, stalk a tank, etc) feel free to post here.
06-09-2010, 07:30 AM,
Here is another thread with some good advice as well : https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=55301

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

06-09-2010, 03:40 PM,
Wow I learned a lot from these tips.
Send this user an email
06-09-2010, 10:42 PM,
(06-09-2010, 03:40 PM)jomni Wrote: Wow I learned a lot from these tips.

There is a learning curve to the SB engine, but once you get used to it, things really start to take shape. Don't get too frustrated early on, we've all been there. It's worth the effort to push through.

Don't know how long you've played the SB series before going to PBEM, but there are a lot of things you can learn by playing against the AI. It's a great way to hone your skills, make mistakes, learn the system. Consider it to be practice to face a human, which will be much more challenging...
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
06-11-2010, 03:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-11-2010, 03:43 AM by Riley D. Smith.)
As has been mentioned, when it comes to the Squad Battles series, "the devil's in the details". You are on the right track just asking questions and reading whatever articles and such are available.

The player has to make a very conscious effort to play these games tactically. Strategic goals matter of course, but tactics is what is going to get you there. You have to think like that 2nd Lt in charge of that platoon, or that SSgt directing a heavy machine gun squad. How is the Capt in charge of Charlie Company going to react and deploy his 4 platoons? Where are my clear lanes of fire? What can you see from where? I do quite a bit of "mouse click recon" with the "show visible hexes" on. Are there terrain elevation changes between attacking and target hex? Never close-assault uphill or across obstacles (unless there are no other options). Should I change my grenade launcher ammo to canister (devastating I've found against hexes with a leader...high % of vaporized leaders in my experience)? Is my tank weapon load set to "AT" instead of "HE"? That one cost me an entire game that I probably could have won. I've seen games where one hex closer or one more turn to play made a difference, maybe between a draw or a loss. When moving troops, always remember that sometimes moving them one unit at a time gains you 2-3 hexes in distance traveled. That's 80+ meters. Picture yourself on a battlefield, hunkered down and getting ready to attack an enemy postion. You want to jump off adjacent to the enemy or do you want to run 80 meters under fire first? Maximizing all the small, tactical variables is the key to victory in SB. Easy to learn, difficult to master, but a damned good time getting there.

What exactly do I have to do to achieve the stated victory conditions? Make sure you read them before starting the game and look closely at your OOB. How long is the scenario? 10 turns or more is allot more time than it seems. Am I rushing an attack where I could use the terrain to mask a slower/safer advance? Seems obvious, but it's all these small things (and so many more) that win or lose in SB's.

I believe these are the very reasons we all like the games so much. There is more of a personal connection when I am down to that green 2nd Louie and 12 men hoping to hold off a determined counterattack by a reinforced VC platoon. Variation? Just look at titles....no other series comes close to covering as much ground with such a good engine.

Welcome aboard, don't get frustrated while learning (you'll take some losses believe me...just look at my record...lol), and, something I try to do...play folks you know that are generally better than you are. Tons of knowledge is readily dissemated by all players here and you can learn just as much from watching someone elses style of play during a game.

Only a few players here really strike fear in our collective hearts...one of course is our good friend from Eastern Europe, Ozgur Budak, who has been more than happy to "teach me some wargaming". Watch quickly as the end is usually as swift as it is brutal. Laurence Harden, The Great White Shark from down under, another great competitor who's "School of Hard Knocks" I've attended on a regular basis. No degree in sight yet, but he hasn't revoked my scholarship. Others of course....NikB...I am still nipping at your heels, and if I could compile ladder points more than 5 at time I'd be closer! Ha. Everyone here is great to play against. Some real characters and great folks.

Good luck. Fire me a game anytime.
06-11-2010, 04:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-11-2010, 04:24 AM by Nikb.)
Excellent post Riley.

I didn't realise you could change your grenade launcher ammo. It is an aspect that I really like about playing this scale. You get to choose which squad weapon to fire and even which type of ammo to use. The combination of which can win or lose you games.

On the face of it the game is simple to play. But the depth in the game is significant - which is what appeals to me.

There was a post a couple of months ago from a bloke who was struggling to win games initially. I was thinking about this the other day when for the first time ever I managed to just push my way past the 50% win mark - that milestone took over one hundred and forty games reach. Phew.

Obviously I was rubbish at the start but have slowly progressed. This has been through game play (for cricket lovers this equates to time at the crease), watching the play of my opponents, getting tips/help from other players, reading articles on sites like TF4, playing the AI, and getting little gems from forum posts (like the grenade launcher tip above).

Good fun.