• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CMBB Dying
09-21-2008, 03:50 AM,
RE: CMBB Dying
I use Vista Home Edition for quite some time now and never had much trouble instaling and playing both CMBB and CMAK games.
Only one minor issue I come across, was the Saved Games folder.
Windows explorer would not show it, even though it was functioning.
Had to create that two folder in both games myself, in order to be able to manually retrieve saved game files from it. etc.
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2008, 04:54 AM,
Well there we go, quite a few Vista users playing CMBB.

So I guess my agenda was simply that I know a few with Vista who play CMBB and know its still an option out there, and am of the opinion that CMBB is not dying.

No harm no foul MR ?

So its all good from my end.
[Image: Tiger-Sig2.jpg]
Send this user an email
09-21-2008, 05:40 AM,
Wigam Wrote:No harm no foul MR ?

So its all good from my end.

There never was a harm or foul from my end with you mate.

I was just showing Lord Bane that there are lots of Vista users out there that can't play CMBB. There are two sets of Vista users where CMBB is concerned from what I can see.

Those that bought Vista early and those that got it later. IF you got it early it will run CMBB. IF you bought it lately it won't.

Good Hunting.

MR
09-21-2008, 06:00 AM,
Sooner or later there will be an XP-emulator program on which you can play CMBB and old XP games. Like the Dosbox now. I'm pretty sure CMBB can run in a virtual-PC (like VMWare or a free alternative), because it doesn't need CPU and video at all by today's standards. We have tons of options to use that good old Barbarossa to Berlin.exe which was so finely built. Does its age help to bring in new players? Certainly not.

CMx1 has been abandoned, but it still has a playtime of few years worth. Then we will have new and _better_ wego-tactical-3d-ww2 games. CM actually has quite a few ugly things, the user interface, the secrecy around the game mechanics etc. So I don't wait for the next CM - I wait for a better game. (Sadly the Panzer Command series isn't going to be it)
09-21-2008, 06:17 AM,
kineas Wrote:Then we will have new and _better_ wego-tactical-3d-ww2 games. CM actually has quite a few ugly things, the user interface, the secrecy around the game mechanics etc. So I don't wait for the next CM - I wait for a better game. (Sadly the Panzer Command series isn't going to be it)

What makes you say that?

Everything I've seen said about the next game in the PC series shows that it will more than outdo the old CMx1 series games.

Yours is the first comment I've seen that doesn't think they are going the right direction.

Curious why you think that.

Good Hunting.

MR
09-21-2008, 07:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-21-2008, 07:08 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Only today PCK designer Erik Rutins told me he has no plans to incorporate a "trees fully off" toggle, so I told him "in that case I won't be re-installing PCK".
I mean, who wants the hassle of peering behind trees all the time to see what's lurking there?
(CM has a "trees fully-off toggle")

PS- But aside from the trees issue, PCK needs too much fiddly micro-management during play for my taste, so for that reason too, as Dragons Den would say- "I'm not investing any more of my time in it, I'm out"
09-21-2008, 07:27 AM,
I don't think Vista is to blame for CMBB not running for some people.It's just a guess since i didn't installed vista on my PC,but i'm under the impression it's a driver related problem.Perhaps with newer cards,the ones which support Direct X 10?I have an ATI 2900 pro card&Windows XP Pro,and i need to use a driver released about 8 months ago,because no driver newer than that works with CM.
Just out of curiosity-and for further guidance of those who want to upgrade their PCs,can the owners of Vista,for which CMBB works,post what graphics card they have?
Send this user an email
09-21-2008, 08:17 AM,
I have already posted what graphics card I use (see earlier post).
Most certainly it's the graphics card and drivers causing the problem. When I bought my new computer it had a ATI card already installed and I knew others have had problems with it and the CM games so I removed it and installed a Nvidia Geforce card.
One thing I will say to players with new Vista computers, when you install the CM games (AK and BB) patch them up straight away before you start fiddling around with card settings.
09-21-2008, 09:55 AM,
Some of us rely on a computer tech for a lot of what is being discussed here. Myself, I'm no Dr. Strangelove with my own computer. I can turn it on, send emails, play CM games, and do a few other common things.

(Yet I still keep my old ''Aces of the Deep'' disc just in case I could get it to play again some day...)

But technology is beginning to quickly pass me by.....:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD7_7SXsHU8
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
09-21-2008, 05:13 PM,
I still play PC occasionally, against the AI, when I'm hungry for new content.

The main difference between PC and CM is the abstraction level aka 'bean counting' which they miss. They fall in to the trap of simulating a battalion commander who supposedly only think in terms of platoons.

The ammo model of the tanks, the artillery is just plain wrong. Infantry model is oversimplified. I get the abstraction, I know what purpose it serves (and it does well) - only I don't accept it. If they want to enhance the game they will simulate more detail, bringing the game closer to CM.

Some people likes this new approach, I certainly don't. The genre established by CMx1 is not a commander simulation, it's a kind of battle chess. Omitting details only makes the game shallower without gaining much.

There's a lot more good (and bad) things about PC what I won't address in this post. I also know it's my personal preference and some likes the reduced detail in PC more. The majority - I doubt. They still here playing CM.