• Downloads

Luckiest thing that ever happened to you in CM
05-22-2007, 07:48 AM,
RE: Luckiest thing that ever happened to you in CM
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2007, 08:08 AM,
I hid a miserable 45mm AT gun as German Panthers and Tigers ground closer and closer.....my infantry was routed around me, German troops started entering the Russian lines and a platoon of Germans more or less had the gun bracketed but hadn't yet spotted it (night scenario).

Finally a Panther presented a side on shot. Firing and missing, my crew frantically reloaded as German infantry less than twenty metres away spotted them and started rotating to fire. Three things happened almost simultaneously:

1. The 45mm fired its second shot.
2. The German infantry shot up the gun whose crew, well and truly surrounded, surrendered instantly; and
3. The 45mm - normal AP, not tungsten - described a graceful arc into the side of the Panther, penetrated through a weak point, and knocked it out.

My gun only got off a second shot because it had been effectively overrun before revealing itself, so the Germans had to turn a long way.

I thought that was rather fortunate :) Best use I've ever made of a 45mm popgun.

05-22-2007, 08:44 AM,
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
05-22-2007, 09:29 AM,
About 2 month ago in one of the games i played for the FGM against KG,i had an unlucky(i thought) T34 m43 which got immobilized while rushing to the enemy lines :) Later in the game an enemy Tiger approached it from the rear.Of course,i considered my poor crew on the casualties list,but i had a sudden revelation and gave it a cover armor arc,in order to turn the gun towards the approaching cat.After all,you never know when you can damage its gun or have it imob. as well :whis: A couple of seconds later,the Tiger spots my T34 and fires.The shell hits the front turret and miraculously bounces.My T34 fires as well and gets a front partial penetration,then fires again and gets another partial penetration.Next thing i know is that my T34 is firing its mg to the bailed crew of the (once) mighty Tiger.A deserved medal,no doubt about it :smoke:
Send this user an email
05-22-2007, 03:30 PM,
Mad Baron,
If I was your opponent I sure I would be cursing the screen at losing 3+ AFVs to an air attack.

I also like McIvan's dramatic description of the Panther kill. I remember reading somewhere though, that McIvan "cheats" at the start of his movie playback by first looking at the victory percentages. Actually, I do this as well;) He must have known something very good had happened as his victory percentage must have gone up, unless he was totally overrun elsewhere.
05-22-2007, 06:22 PM,
No, that one happened well before I figured out that you can get a hint from the victory percentages :)
05-22-2007, 08:12 PM,
I once had a 150mm german infantry gun fire at a mg team that had made it to the top of a house overlooking a vital valley. my shot missed.

my opponent started cursing.

the round had arced over the house and landed in the middle of 3x 82mm mortars walking to get setup. they were down the reverse slope, and I didnt even know they were there - until he told me....

:)

Grum
05-22-2007, 08:58 PM,
Yeah I had an opponent pull that one on me too, except it was just a 75mm shell from his M8 HMC.....missed its target completely, but sailed on to wipe out my perfectly good artillery spotter before it had even called in a single round :(
05-23-2007, 12:21 AM,
05-23-2007, 02:20 AM,
...or my 150mm gun in a mechanised battle against the russians.
stands on a hill and shoot out round after round with direct and indirect fire.just 1 bullet is left,because no tanks ;).
why lucky you ask?it survived,and look at the kills :smoke:..........

[Image: Unbenannt.jpg]