• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Windows Vista
01-18-2007, 12:05 PM,
RE: Windows Vista
I would avoid it for the first year or so. XP is a (relatively) stable O/S for a Microsoft product, and nothing they release is worth the money in the first year or so. You spend more time d/l patches and security updates than anything else. Just my opinion, YMMV.
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2007, 04:33 PM,
Its madness to have a system that neads so much ram just to run a back ground program!!
01-19-2007, 12:07 AM,
I have the final pre release version. I thought XP was a memory hog. Vista is absolutely glutonous. I have 1 gig memory and XP runs like a champ with a demanding online game like EVE. But Vista runs slower because of the constant swapping of virtual memory on the HD.

As for vid cards, top end card here. Vista still runs like a pig. 2 gig ram is probably the minimum you should have if you run a graphics intensive online game program like EVE.

Also, be sure to have a power supply with lots of excess. That will help the machine run smoothly with less heat buildup.

BTW, I build my own machines. Only one I ever bought was my first. Had it strewn all over the living room by the third day seeing what made it tick. :chainsaw:

Alonzo

So ends the bloody business of the day - Homer
01-19-2007, 02:15 AM,
A word of caution on Vista. If you connect to a Windows domain network at work and a peer network at home you will need to buy the Ultimate edition, which seem to be able to do everything. My PC's at home run on a Windows Domain network so if I were to upgrade I would go for the Ultimate Edition.

My take on Vista at this point is that I'm in no rush to upgrade when it comes out. Most of the reviews I have read don't give it very high marks, and in many cases will require you to upgrade your hardware to use it. If you are considering a new PC within the next year or two I would consider holding off upgrading to Vista.
01-19-2007, 03:12 AM,
All very good points, but is it compatible with PBEM helper? LOL!

That said, this is one OS that I will not "early adopt" based on what I have read here. Thanks to all those that have contributed.

01-19-2007, 03:13 AM,
Well Im gonna go for it.... someone has to take the plunge in order to warn all you guys not to do it... LOL

Bootie
01-19-2007, 03:31 AM,
Sounds to me Bootie you have WAAAY too much money!! Eek
How about buying us all a pint? :)

Well lads, if Bootie is going to be our guinea pig for Vista, we insist he posts on a regular basis telling us if the CM games installs and plays ok :)
Just imagine if there are problems like the Talonsoft CS games and XP Eek Cry
01-19-2007, 03:32 AM,
Hell Im working my 2 days of to pay for it... you dont get nought for free these days... LOL

Bootie
01-19-2007, 03:41 AM,
Maybe we should get the Blitz to sponsor you so at least you can have one day off to install Vista ;)
01-19-2007, 03:52 AM,
Only takes 25 minutes..... installing CM will be the main hurdle.... Im gonna start transferring all my mods to dvd so I can just throw them on instead of re-downloading them all.

Bootie