• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Phased Play Opponent Wanted
05-27-2023, 12:11 AM,
RE: Phased Play Opponent Wanted
(05-05-2023, 11:42 PM)dukemat Wrote: just don't click on MDF when you set up game and you will have a melee phase after you move and fire.

That is true, however it will still create a combined Fire and Movement phase, which I find produces a battle that is more mobile than the time period should allow.  The use of fire and movement as a tactical concept didn't achieve widespread acceptance until the Boar War a generation later (some minor historical exceptions).  In a 20 minute turn I think the ability to create and exploit a hole in a line is too great in a combined fire and movement phase.  The use of a separate Melee Phase after fire and movement addresses it partially but not completely.  The tactical defense had the upper hand in the ACW period and phased play does a better job of representing the strength of the tactical defense in my opinion.  Neither way is perfect, and both have flaws that are present and will always be present in an I go/You go system, but for me it creates a better simulation.

I understand I'm in the minority with this, and I'm not trying to convert anyone who feels differently, just explaining my rationale.
Quote this message in a reply