• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Phased Play Opponent Wanted
04-18-2023, 12:37 AM,
Phased Play Opponent Wanted
I'm looking for a game, I like something on large map with plenty of room for maneuver (as opposed to a scenario where we started ready for battle and commence to hammering away).  For an examples of what I mean, look at 294 Collision in Maryland from Gettysburg or 86 Gaps to Manassas from Antietam, or even 95 Shermans Advances on Atlanta from Atlanta. 

I am flexible on sides played, and although I like most of the optional rules I'm flexible on them and willing to discuss before start of play.  The only thing I'm hard over on is that I prefer phased play (optional rule MDF) used in combination with optional rule ADF.  I prefer MDF because I feel it better portrays the period than the default rules which allow fire and movement simultaneously (the tactical concepts of fire and maneuver were a generation away from the ACW).  And the use of ADF is necessary because when you use it with phased play it keeps the number of file exchanges between players to 1 per turn, the same as if you were using default. 

If anyone is hesitant about phased play and would like to discuss it before we start I'd be happy to do that.

Any takers?  Let me know.
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2023, 02:49 AM,
RE: Phased Play Opponent Wanted
(04-18-2023, 12:37 AM)Steel God Wrote: I'm looking for a game, I like something on large map with plenty of room for maneuver (as opposed to a scenario where we started ready for battle and commence to hammering away).  For an examples of what I mean, look at 294 Collision in Maryland from Gettysburg or 86 Gaps to Manassas from Antietam, or even 95 Shermans Advances on Atlanta from Atlanta. 

I am flexible on sides played, and although I like most of the optional rules I'm flexible on them and willing to discuss before start of play.  The only thing I'm hard over on is that I prefer phased play (optional rule MDF) used in combination with optional rule ADF.  I prefer MDF because I feel it better portrays the period than the default rules which allow fire and movement simultaneously (the tactical concepts of fire and maneuver were a generation away from the ACW).  And the use of ADF is necessary because when you use it with phased play it keeps the number of file exchanges between players to 1 per turn, the same as if you were using default. 

If anyone is hesitant about phased play and would like to discuss it before we start I'd be happy to do that.

Having played many games ..........

actually, choosing MDF creates a defensive fire phase even if you choose ADF.
That means you will have two emails per turn..........not one.

If you want one exchange per turn with phased play...choose ADF only and that will place a melee phase at the end of the moving players turn. Once all moving and firing is ended, there is the melee phase which completes the turn.
04-19-2023, 04:52 AM,
(04-19-2023, 02:49 AM)dukemat Wrote:
(04-18-2023, 12:37 AM)Steel God Wrote: I'm looking for a game, I like something on large map with plenty of room for maneuver (as opposed to a scenario where we started ready for battle and commence to hammering away).  For an examples of what I mean, look at 294 Collision in Maryland from Gettysburg or 86 Gaps to Manassas from Antietam, or even 95 Shermans Advances on Atlanta from Atlanta. 

If you want one exchange per turn with phased play...choose ADF only and that will place a melee phase at the end of the moving players turn. Once all moving and firing is ended, there is the melee phase which completes the turn.

Having played this way exclusively for several years now I must respectfully correct you.  If you play with both MDF and ADF checked the turn will play out as follows:

1) Player A moves
2) Player B's defensive fire is executed by the AI
3) Player A Fires
4) Player A Melees
5) Player A hits end turn and mails files.

Players B repeats process on his half of turn.

One email file exchanged per player turn.
04-20-2023, 01:43 AM,

I'm up for Campaign Atlanta 095 or 096 "Sherman's Advance". Your choice on sides and weather scenario or not. Just got around to reinstalling and updating some Tiller games after a long hiatus and getting a new rig. Been awhile since we've crossed swords with each other, so I'm rusty, but I should be able to get back up speed pretty quickly, and we do both like the phased play approach. Let me know unless someone has already claimed the spot.
04-20-2023, 06:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-20-2023, 06:22 AM by Steel God.)
(04-20-2023, 01:43 AM)2-81 Armor Wrote:

I'm up for Campaign Atlanta 095 or 096 "Sherman's Advance". Your choice on sides and weather scenario or not. Just got around to reinstalling and updating some Tiller games after a long hiatus and getting a new rig. Been awhile since we've crossed swords with each other, so I'm rusty, but I should be able to get back up speed pretty quickly, and we do both like the phased play approach. Let me know unless someone has already claimed the spot.

Great to hear from you Tom.  I'll take the War Criminal Sherman Wink  and go first and send the turn your way.  Just gotta make sure I've got the latest version installed.  Will set it up with the rules we usually used, but if there's something you want left out or added in just send me a note.  I think I'll play the weather version.  Played a Chickamauga battle last Fall with weather (and variable reinforcements) and it was wild as hell.
04-20-2023, 07:10 AM,
(04-20-2023, 06:22 AM)Steel God Wrote:
(04-20-2023, 01:43 AM)2-81 Armor Wrote:

Great to hear from you Tom.  I'll take the War Criminal Sherman Wink  and go first and send the turn your way.  Just gotta make sure I've got the latest version installed.  Will set it up with the rules we usually used, but if there's something you want left out or added in just send me a note.  I think I'll play the weather version.  Played a Chickamauga battle last Fall with weather (and variable reinforcements) and it was wild as hell.
We're on then! I'm OK with the options and rules we used in the old days. My email has changed, so look out for a PM and I'll send it to you.
"If you want to know a man's true character, give him some power." - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
05-05-2023, 11:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2023, 11:31 PM by cv_donuts.)
[attachment=5332 Wrote:Steel God pid='452722' dateline='1681843959']

Having played this way exclusively for several years now I must respectfully correct you.  If you play with both MDF and ADF checked the turn will play out as follows:

1) Player A moves
3) Player A Fires
4) Player A Melees

Hi SteelGod,

I've been trying to test your phase play system and I keep seeing it as more than 1 email per turn. Here are the rules I have checked. Not sure what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Attached Files
.jpg   Screenshot 2023-05-05 092928.jpg (Size: 52.66 KB / Downloads: 28)
05-05-2023, 11:40 PM,
(05-05-2023, 11:30 PM)cv_donuts Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 04:52 AM)Steel God Wrote:

1) Player A moves
3) Player A Fires
4) Player A Melees

Hi SteelGod,

I've been trying to test your phase play system and I keep seeing it as more than 1 email per turn. Here are the rules I have checked. Not sure what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
05-05-2023, 11:42 PM,
just don't click on MDF when you set up game and you will have a melee phase after you move and fire.
05-27-2023, 12:03 AM,
(05-05-2023, 11:30 PM)cv_donuts Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 04:52 AM)Steel God Wrote:

1) Player A moves
3) Player A Fires
4) Player A Melees

Hi SteelGod,

That is the correct set up and should be producing 1 email exchange per turn.  I can't imagine why it doesn't for you, but if you want to get to the bottom of it I suggest the WDS help desk.  Sorry, that's not more helpful.