• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Updates
12-17-2022, 01:57 AM,
RE: Updates
(12-17-2022, 12:29 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote:
(12-16-2022, 05:33 AM)Xerxes77 Wrote:
(12-15-2022, 11:14 PM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: What are static menus?

It's an optional configuration for the toolbars. It's not the old one, but it's closer in look. You can enable it in Settings->Toolbar->Category->Static All.

Looks like bigger pictures.  Not good enough and still takes a row of map away and all new icons I have to sort thru to find and use.  All the extra should have been left in the drop down menu.  It is not a good change.  Adds too much clutter.  I'm a Keep It Simple-Stupid kind of guy.  The key to doing anything easy, including the hard way, is to be organized.  All this time, one or more person put into doing this, could have been better spent on working on the new titles.  They need to go back and make it a choice.  If they can make a whole title, they can fix this mess.

There are three sizes of static menus, suggest you try a smaller one.
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2022, 02:00 AM,
(12-16-2022, 10:49 AM)Sgt Jasper Wrote: Another small detail: At least in France 14 and Serbia 14, the F1 command to bring up the Help file doesn't work. F2, F3, and F4 do work. The FWWC.pdf file is there, in the  Manuals folder, but one has to either navigate to it through File Explorer or bring it up through a .pdf reader such as Acrobat.

Good catch. I am guessing if you renamed the FWWC.pdf to PzC.pdf it would open under F1. Will see what can be done there for a future update.
12-17-2022, 02:26 AM,

It's an optional configuration for the toolbars. It's not the old one, but it's closer in look. You can enable it in Settings->Toolbar->Category->Static All.
i
Looks like bigger pictures.  Not good enough and still takes a row of map away and all new icons I have to sort thru to find and use.  All the extra should have been left in the drop down menu.  It is not a good change.  Adds too much clutter.  I'm a Keep It Simple-Stupid kind of guy.  The key to doing anything easy, including the hard way, is to be organized.  All this time, one or more person put into doing this, could have been better spent on working on the new titles.  They need to go back and make it a choice.  If they can make a whole title, they can fix this mess.

Once I tumbled onto the organizational principles, the new toolbar became less a annoying, but it still seems overly complicated. Also, I've never been much on hot keys, but now the five or six that I did are all changed. On the other hand, while I haven't really studied them, is seems like hot keys may be getting standardized across the different Tiller series, as the few I've been motivated to seek out seem the same in FWWC as in the ACW games. I guess it's worth the effort to be able to move from one series to another and not have to remember different sets of keys. Having damned much, let me applaud the way one can learn hot keys by rolling the mouse pointer over the toolbar buttons and find the hot keys displayed. Maybe in time I'll use them more since I don't have to seek them out in one of the Help file (See, I don't even remember which Help file they were in :)

Oh, well, I'm through griping for now....
12-17-2022, 02:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-18-2022, 02:16 AM by Kool Kat.)
Gents,   Smoke7

What was the rationale for a redesigned menu interface? Were players demanding it?  Confused

There are 22 icons (Now under Unit and Combat menus) that I believe most players use on a regular basis. But the only way to display these is to either select Unit or Combat menus separately or be forced to display ALL menu icons? For example, should Change Rail Mode carry the same weight and has the same usage as Next Stack icon? But ALL icons are displayed, whether you ever use them or not.  But once you display ALL menu icons, now you got to do some mouse flying / searching. For example, Next Stack icon is upper left, but Visible Hexes is all the way to the right. Then back to left mid-point for Artillery Dialogue. Then you need to cursor far right again for Reachable Hexes. Then back to far left for Change Travel Mode, etc. Hopefully, there are no color-blind persons playing TOC? For example, the Change Travel Mode and Highlight Travel Mode use the same icons, but different colors. How do these persons distinguish which identical icon to use? Trial and error?

Please don't suggest that I hide all icon menus and just use the drop-down menus. That's not how I was playing prior to the new menu interface. I should not be forced to play that way now.

Menu is overly complicated and cluttered. Display the most utilized menu icons. (Unit and Combat) Hide the others.

New Menu Interface

[Image: Current%20Menu%20vs%20Gold%20Version%20Menu.jpg]

Gold Version Menu Interface

Update: I reinstalled an earlier Gold version menu interface. Problem solved!  Smile
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
12-17-2022, 02:46 AM,
I can see the Artillery Dialog option under the Command menu. Tried Mius, Moscow '42 & Salerno '43.
The toolbar icon should be next to the Air Mission button in blue.
12-17-2022, 02:48 AM,
(12-17-2022, 02:46 AM)Xerxes77 Wrote: I can see the Artillery Dialog option under the Command menu. Tried Mius, Moscow '42 & Salerno '43.
The toolbar icon should be next to the Air Mission button in blue.

Gent Smoke7

Thank you! Just spotted it!
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
12-18-2022, 01:02 AM,
(12-17-2022, 02:42 AM)Kool Kat Wrote: Gents,   Smoke7

What was the rationale for a redesigned menu interface? Were players demanding it?  Confused

There are 22 icons (Now under Unit and Combat menus) that I believe most players use on a regular basis. But the only way to display these is to either select Unit or Combat menus separately or be forced to display ALL menu icons? For example, should Change Rail Mode carry the same weight and has the same usage as Next Stack icon? But ALL icons are displayed, whether you ever use them or not.  But once you display ALL menu icons, now you got to do some mouse flying / searching. For example, Next Stack icon is upper left, but Visible Hexes is all the way to the right. Then back to left mid-point for Artillery Dialogue. Then you need to cursor far right again for Reachable Hexes. Then back to far left for Change Travel Mode, etc. Hopefully, there are no color-blind persons playing TOC? For example, the Change Travel Mode and Highlight Travel Mode use the same icons, but different colors. How do these persons distinguish which identical icon to use? Trial and error?

Please don't suggest that I hide all icon menus and just use the drop-down menus. That's not how I was playing prior to the new menu interface. I should not be forced to play that way now.

Menu is overly complicated and cluttered. Display the most utilized menu icons. (Unit and Combat) Hide the others.

Update: I reinstalled an earlier Kiev 43 Gold version. Problem solved!  Smile

If the gold version is still compatible with 4.1 and can be played no problem, I'll do that.
12-18-2022, 01:10 AM,
(12-17-2022, 01:57 AM)Strela Wrote:

There are three sizes of static menus, suggest you try a smaller one.

The problem with the menus would still be there.  Too cluttered.  I don't use hot keys at all.  I only used a few icons on one toolbar and now it is, to put it in well known military jargon, a clusterf**k.  Plain and simple.
12-18-2022, 03:45 AM,
Personally I love the new menus, and the way I generally use them is like so, and I use a lot of hot keys, saves time.

[Image: spez5sv.png]
12-18-2022, 04:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-18-2022, 04:26 AM by Kool Kat.)
(12-18-2022, 01:10 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: The problem with the menus would still be there.  Too cluttered.  I don't use hot keys at all.  I only used a few icons on one toolbar and now it is, to put it in well known military jargon, a clusterf**k.  Plain and simple.

Gent:  Smoke7

Agree. And the problem / challenge for me with this new menu interface design is that it directly impacts my future TOC purchases and overall enjoyment of the games. Unless there is a "work around" or ability to revert back to the Gold version menu interface, I will not be purchasing new titles. 

I was grateful when WDS gave us the option to keep the Gold "legacy" graphics. Can there also be a Gold "legacy" menu interface option too?  Idea2
Send this user an email