• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Favorite Large Scenarios for H2H Play
08-02-2022, 09:26 PM,
RE: Favorite Large Scenarios for H2H Play
(08-02-2022, 01:12 AM)Nort Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 09:23 AM)Dan Caviness Wrote: Thanks for the mention Mr. Zap!...;)

Yes, my heart broke when I saw Nort's list of large team game scenarios without any of mine on it.
I will nurse my heartbreak and feed it later....in the meantime...on to business...;)

If you like big team games I have one or two that might suffice.
As Zap mentioned, most are on Revision 2 or 3, one is rev 5.
They aren't all named (by revision) as such, and that is my fault, but all have been revised after test play.

Balance is tricky with large scenarios, because, as you say, the tactical opportunities are manifold.
If you design one, and leave it out there to die as an orphan, it inevitably suffers.

Mine get play tested, repeatedly, and at the risk of bragging the players who test my games are some of the best in the Blitz.  Which means the world.  Find any better you feel free to call me a liar.  They are the players who are looking for a true challenge.  And enjoy large scenarios.  Not everyone's cup of tea right HSL?...;)

I do not make it easy for them, and the more I hammer them the more they seem to enjoy it.

Tanker Tony, Zap, Cam, Dawags, kernelt, Ashcloud, VON LUCK (hello John you beautiful Scot bastard), Huib, Malsom, Pawel, Kool Kat, Peiper, Krazy Kat, Armored Inferno, Askari, Deutsche Landser, Rebel, Schwerpunkt, Scud, Ivan, Greywulf, Red Devil, Earl, the Hawk, et.al.
A murderer's row indeed...sharks every one...and chum is in the water...;)

I apologize for those I missed because all these brave men above are the reason my scenarios even had a chance to get better.

When you leverage the skills and abilities of a group like this, in effect, you are stealing from them.
It took me a decade or two to realize just how lucky I have been to meet and know every one of them.
I shamelessly dropped a lot of names here, but they all deserve mention, and more.

1.  The Longest Day
2.  Operation Cobra
3.  Hill 112
4.  Rommel Takes the Suez Canal 1944
5.  Aachen West Wall
6.  Wikings In The Carpathians
7.  Berlin 1946

None of which are perfect, but we're working on it...

And if those aren't your cup of tea, some of my favorite large team games from other designers over the years include Borisov, XXXXVIII Panzer Korps at Kursk, Operation Sealion, Huib's Fall Braun Across the Maas.

Also Tony's big 3v3...EF...armor....help!...the name eludes me and Tony will now have yet another reason to beat the crap out of me on the battlefield...;)

Regards,

Dan
LOL Dan.  My list of one was not intended to be exhaustive.

And my apologies to you Nort...I was referring to Von Dondo...a member I have not met yet.
I also wanted to say, for those who may not know my act, my posts are always full of smart-assery and should NEVER be taken seriously.

I'm finding as I get older...I'm not nearly as funny as I think I am...;)

It's always nice to see another convert to the "big scenarios"...welcome!

They are my addiction...and I'm not going to therapy...no rehab for me... Crazy
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2022, 09:45 PM,
(08-02-2022, 12:20 PM)Big Ivan Wrote: Damn, Dan (The Old Man)!!

I just took a hard look at your Patton47 scenario you crazy man!!

You need to take a break, relax, drink a couple of toddies and enjoy life a bit! 

I'm not sure where you came up with the idea for this scenario (Maybe in the electronics blueprint of a radar system) but Holy Cow!!! There are some serious totally killing units going on in this one all over the map!!

I'm scared to even try it against myself!

If you're ever near Ohio, stop in, you're always welcome. We'll put a dent in a bottle of bourbon too!

Rock on Dan and take care!

Regards,
John Wink

Dear Mr. Big, AKA Mr. John:  

Be careful...I will take you up on that someday...we have the RV thing going now in retirement.  When diesel drops back under 6 bucks a gallon I will be back on the road.  Bourbon eh?  My Stepfather used to drink "Old Crow".  Since I was young, and an idiot, I snuck a few shots out now and then before the old devil started marking his booze bottle.  Somewhere between paint thinner and kerosene as I recall... Buds Cheers6 Respect3

The scenario has developed some very interesting "twists" as it were.  I'm trying to create something different, as we all do, and this time I was trying for asymmetry.  All 4 players have very different fights on their hands.  What I thought was going to be a wild ride west for the exit objectives has transmogrified (don't knock transmogrification until you've tried it) into 4 different clashes.

We have the breakthrough up top, a rear guard in the middle, a flanking defender, and the poor northern German (in this case Mr. Ash) hanging on by his fingernails attempting to stay alive long enough to get help from his "flanker".  Jesse, also know as the one and only kernelt, came up with a battle plan I hadn't even envisioned.  Thanks to him, I learned there is yet another way to skin this cat.

In general...I'd like to ask anyone interested in trying it...seriously that is...to wait for our final test here to wrap up.  It's an overcrowded map in it's present form, and it will get trimmed down to size.  We're about 75% complete on our test game and it won't be long.

And John...while I'm a RADAR boy...remember I also ended up on subs...so SONAR must be in there somewhere?
Much respect my friend...

Respect Party Hooray

I'd also like to apologize for the visible buttcrack on the last emoji.
We must learn to be very careful about who we offend these days.

Regards,

Old Man Dan
08-03-2022, 01:19 AM,
Dan Dan,

I have been known to dabble in one or two big scenarios. Read2
I just don't care for the ones that could be classified as SM 20 or higher. Dizzy

There's only so much my butt can take from sitting long periods of time. Since I play a turn through without saving, the larger ones are often too large.
Though, they all seem to look pretty in their own ways? Shark2

I may even prefer a small butt crack. Drink Smoke Thank you 3

Farmer

HSL
08-04-2022, 01:19 AM,
I was trying to find an analogy to your butt's butt cracks when I realized my sense of punnery is in arrears...
My humor suffers from a split personality...from cranium to coccyx...

Wow...these just write themselves don't they?

Regards,

Rear Admiral Dan

ps: SM20!....I like that...;)
08-04-2022, 04:17 AM,
(08-04-2022, 01:19 AM)Dan Caviness Wrote: I was trying to find an analogy to your butt's butt cracks when I realized my sense of punnery is in arrears...
My humor suffers from a split personality...from cranium to coccyx...

Wow...these just write themselves don't they?

Regards,

Rear Admiral Dan

ps:  SM20!....I like that...;)

Of course, you'll need to leave your humor behind?
Butt, if I may say so, you are a cheeky lad? The whole of you. Whistle  Rolling Eyes Propeller Hat

Farmer

HSL
08-04-2022, 11:38 AM,
Ouch!
I think I'm going to yield here...I'm bringing a knife to a machine gun fight...:)
Your bun puns reign supreme!
08-04-2022, 09:39 PM,
I'll sit on the throne?

Respect 
Cheers5

Farmer

HSL