• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Favorite Large Scenarios for H2H Play
07-30-2022, 10:11 PM,
Favorite Large Scenarios for H2H Play
Greetings, Blitz Friends!

I have recently found it enjoyable to play very large scenarios (even those designed for team play) in H2H matches against my friends.  These types of scenarios seem to provide more strategic flexibility, and you're not defeated or at a loss if you suffer significant casualties in one part of the map or another.  Could folks share their favorite larger or team play scenarios on this thread?  It would certainly help me, and hopefully others, in having a consolidated list of such scenarios.  I've listed a few of those I found to be the most fun as of late (big size, large maps, relatively balanced OOBs, lots of strategic decisions and flexibility for both players).

- Hausser's Last Charge (EF)
- Meeting Engagement at Bogoduhkov (EF)
- A Festering Wound (EF)
- The Montecorvino Airfield (WF)
- V Panzer Army The Campaign (WF)
- Another Lost Vicotry (EF)
- Operation Saris III (EF)
- Zelechow Melee (EF)
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2022, 12:40 AM,
RE: Favorite Large Scenarios for H2H Play
Die Brucken (The Bridges) WF
07-31-2022, 10:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2022, 05:17 AM by zap.)
Operation Ikarus. Hypothetical. Designer is improving it, as I write this.  (just like Dan Caviness) Tony makes improvements to his when needed. He is making several changes to this scenario which will improve balance and mobility. I would wait for that new itineration.
Die Brucken- is good, though it needs a slight adjustment for balance.
08-01-2022, 09:23 AM,
Thanks for the mention Mr. Zap!...;)

Yes, my heart broke when I saw Nort's list of large team game scenarios without any of mine on it.
I will nurse my heartbreak and feed it later....in the meantime...on to business...;)

If you like big team games I have one or two that might suffice.
As Zap mentioned, most are on Revision 2 or 3, one is rev 5.
They aren't all named (by revision) as such, and that is my fault, but all have been revised after test play.

Balance is tricky with large scenarios, because, as you say, the tactical opportunities are manifold.
If you design one, and leave it out there to die as an orphan, it inevitably suffers.

Mine get play tested, repeatedly, and at the risk of bragging the players who test my games are some of the best in the Blitz. Which means the world. Find any better you feel free to call me a liar. They are the players who are looking for a true challenge. And enjoy large scenarios. Not everyone's cup of tea right HSL?...;)

I do not make it easy for them, and the more I hammer them the more they seem to enjoy it.

Tanker Tony, Zap, Cam, Dawags, kernelt, Ashcloud, VON LUCK (hello John you beautiful Scot bastard), Huib, Malsom, Pawel, Kool Kat, Peiper, Krazy Kat, Armored Inferno, Askari, Deutsche Landser, Rebel, Schwerpunkt, Scud, Ivan, Greywulf, Red Devil, Earl, the Hawk, et.al.
A murderer's row indeed...sharks every one...and chum is in the water...;)

I apologize for those I missed because all these brave men above are the reason my scenarios even had a chance to get better.

When you leverage the skills and abilities of a group like this, in effect, you are stealing from them.
It took me a decade or two to realize just how lucky I have been to meet and know every one of them.
I shamelessly dropped a lot of names here, but they all deserve mention, and more.

1. The Longest Day
2. Operation Cobra
3. Hill 112
4. Rommel Takes the Suez Canal 1944
5. Aachen West Wall
6. Wikings In The Carpathians
7. Berlin 1946

None of which are perfect, but we're working on it...

And if those aren't your cup of tea, some of my favorite large team games from other designers over the years include Borisov, XXXXVIII Panzer Korps at Kursk, Operation Sealion, Huib's Fall Braun Across the Maas.

Also Tony's big 3v3...EF...armor....help!...the name eludes me and Tony will now have yet another reason to beat the crap out of me on the battlefield...;)

Regards,

Dan
08-01-2022, 12:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2022, 12:34 PM by zap.)
(08-01-2022, 09:23 AM)Dan Caviness Wrote: Thanks for the mention Mr. Zap!...;)

Yes, my heart broke when I saw Nort's list of large team game scenarios without any of mine on it.
I will nurse my heartbreak and feed it later....in the meantime...on to business...;)

They aren't all named (by revision) as such, and that is my fault, but all have been revised after test play.

Balance is tricky with large scenarios, because, as you say, the tactical opportunities are manifold.
If you design one, and leave it out there to die as an orphan, it inevitably suffers.

Mine get play tested, repeatedly, and at the risk of bragging the players who test my games are some of the best in the Blitz.  Which means the world.  Find any better you feel free to call me a liar.  They are the players who are looking for a true challenge.  And enjoy large scenarios.  Not everyone's cup of tea right HSL?...;)

I do not make it easy for them, and the more I hammer them the more they seem to enjoy it.

Tanker Tony, Zap, Cam, Dawags, kernelt, Ashcloud, VON LUCK (hello John you beautiful Scot bastard), Huib, Malsom, Pawel, Kool Kat, Peiper, Krazy Kat, Armored Inferno, Askari, Deutsche Landser, Rebel, Schwerpunkt, Scud, Ivan, Greywulf, Red Devil, Earl, the Hawk, et.al.

I apologize for those I missed because all these brave men above are the reason my scenarios even had a chance to get better.

When you leverage the skills and abilities of a group like this, in effect, you are stealing from them.
It took me a decade or two to realize just how lucky I have been to meet and know every one of them.
I shamelessly dropped a lot of names here, but they all deserve mention, and more.

1.  The Longest Day
2.  Operation Cobra
3.  Hill 112
4.  Rommel Takes the Suez Canal 1944
5.  Aachen West Wall
6.  Wikings In The Carpathians
7.  Berlin 1946

And if those aren't your cup of tea, some of my favorite large team games from other designers over the years include Borisov, XXXXVIII Panzer Korps at Kursk, Operation Sealion, Huib's Fall Braun Across the Maas.

Also Tony's big 3v3...EF...armor....help!...the name eludes me and Tony will now have yet another reason to beat the crap out of me on the battlefield...;)

Regards,

Dan

Dan, any designer like yourself or Tony and I know other designers not mentioned have improved their scenarios. All should be praised for your efforts to improve a scenario along the way. When speaking of large scenarios, that takes a special dedication. Finding, testers, then balancing it several times. The result is a scenario that players want to play. 

What better compliment can a designer receive then when players gravitate to the scenario you made! Because its damn good.

I have played all your scenarios and enjoyed them. it would be nice that people leave their impressions of scenarios played. 

I didn't   mention more scenarios since the OP (Michael) and myself are playing against each other in large ones for some time now. I was interested in others opinions. 
08-01-2022, 10:11 PM,
As you know Mr. Zap, since you are on the list above, it's a team effort.
For straight up playability and hypothetical fun I believe "rommel takes the suez" works well.
Which is what we're striving for on the new one...Patton 47...testing...and revisions to improve...are ongoing.

Don't forget Earl's monster...lol...the V Chronicles one...nice work...as always...

Regards,

Old Man Dan
08-02-2022, 01:12 AM,
(08-01-2022, 09:23 AM)Dan Caviness Wrote: Thanks for the mention Mr. Zap!...;)

Mine get play tested, repeatedly, and at the risk of bragging the players who test my games are some of the best in the Blitz.  Which means the world.  Find any better you feel free to call me a liar.  They are the players who are looking for a true challenge.  And enjoy large scenarios.  Not everyone's cup of tea right HSL?...;)

1.  The Longest Day
2.  Operation Cobra
3.  Hill 112
4.  Rommel Takes the Suez Canal 1944
5.  Aachen West Wall
6.  Wikings In The Carpathians
7.  Berlin 1946

Regards,

Dan
LOL Dan.  My list of one was not intended to be exhaustive.
08-02-2022, 05:07 AM,
All good...game on and prosper...may Nichelle Nichols rest in peace...

Regards,

Dan
08-02-2022, 10:32 AM,
Thanks, Dan, Phil, and Nort!  Kudos to all the scenario designers out there.  The new (and bigger) custom-made scenarios have definitely kept our matches fresh over the years.  I remember testing a lot of Don Fox's scenarios out with him several years (decades?) ago.  Always happy to help anyone who needs a tester.  And appreciate you all adding to the list with some helpful tips on scenarios to check out.
08-02-2022, 12:20 PM,
Damn, Dan (The Old Man)!!

I just took a hard look at your Patton47 scenario you crazy man!!

You need to take a break, relax, drink a couple of toddies and enjoy life a bit! 

I'm not sure where you came up with the idea for this scenario (Maybe in the electronics blueprint of a radar system) but Holy Cow!!! There are some serious totally killing units going on in this one all over the map!!

I'm scared to even try it against myself!

If you're ever near Ohio, stop in, you're always welcome. We'll put a dent in a bottle of bourbon too!

Rock on Dan and take care!

Regards,
John Wink