• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

error on PBEM replay
06-14-2022, 01:24 AM,
RE: error on PBEM replay
(06-13-2022, 10:17 AM)Partizanka Wrote:
(06-13-2022, 08:57 AM)rahamy Wrote: I've never seen the report you are talking about, but have had people talking about corrupted game files a lot more lately...I always suggest Zipping turns as that fixes it pretty much every time.

Also, the replay is new every time...but it is a good practice to periodically delete the pbemail.xxx & .yyy files from the \Saves directory after you finish a turn - those are temp work files and sometimes they can get corrupted as well.

Thanks Rick and Ken. I am just going to restart from scratch after deleting the file. It bothers me that I was prompted for a replay when there would have been no replay to watch on the very first turn since my side was to move first, so something might be related to that. I have the original file that I received I think if you want to see the report window popup.

I've had it go both ways, sometimes I just open the file again and don't watch the replay and the games continued fine.  Other times we had to back up a turn.  We used to zipfiles in the early pbem days due to the limited size of file attachments but it also seems zipped files are less subject to corruption in transmission.  The past few years I have had more and more opponents that don't zip and most times it works ok but occasionally you run into these problems.
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2022, 02:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2022, 02:16 AM by Partizanka.)
(06-14-2022, 01:24 AM)krmiller Wrote:
(06-13-2022, 10:17 AM)Partizanka Wrote:
(06-13-2022, 08:57 AM)rahamy Wrote: I've never seen the report you are talking about, but have had people talking about corrupted game files a lot more lately...I always suggest Zipping turns as that fixes it pretty much every time.

Also, the replay is new every time...but it is a good practice to periodically delete the pbemail.xxx & .yyy files from the \Saves directory after you finish a turn - those are temp work files and sometimes they can get corrupted as well.

Thanks Rick and Ken. I am just going to restart from scratch after deleting the file. It bothers me that I was prompted for a replay when there would have been no replay to watch on the very first turn since my side was to move first, so something might be related to that. I have the original file that I received I think if you want to see the report window popup.

I've had it go both ways, sometimes I just open the file again and don't watch the replay and the games continued fine.  Other times we had to back up a turn.  We used to zipfiles in the early pbem days due to the limited size of file attachments but it also seems zipped files are less subject to corruption in transmission.  The past few years I have had more and more opponents that don't zip and most times it works ok but occasionally you run into these problems.

Again everyone, thanks for the help. I will forward the corrupt file just to make sure it was not a bug. No need to send file. It was corruption from internet traffic.
08-19-2022, 02:23 PM,
I've had issues; if they can be resolved, I've closed the file, shut down the computer completely. If that doesn't fix it then try reloading the file your opponent emailed you.

That is why I always save my last turn, and the opponents turn from the turn BEFORE the last turn I sent.
08-22-2022, 04:17 AM,
(08-19-2022, 02:23 PM)tobruck41 Wrote: I've had issues; if they can be resolved, I've closed the file, shut down the computer completely.  If that doesn't fix it then try reloading the file your opponent emailed you.

That is why I always save my last turn, and the opponents turn from the turn BEFORE the last turn I sent.

Thanks for the input tobruk, we fixed the issue. It was file corruption and zipping the turns took care of the problem.