• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

error on PBEM replay
06-12-2022, 08:22 AM,
Help  error on PBEM replay
I am getting an error that is new to me in a new PBEM battle of RBR v. 4.01. After typing in my password and asking  to watch the battle replay, I get a small notification window that is labelled "report." In that window there is a hashtag symbol and an at symbol  #@  Underneath the window are the clickable options Okay and Cancel. After hitting cancel, I get a message window saying there was an error with the replay file. Anyone seen anything similar or have advice how to correct this? After closing the error message, I seem to be able to play the turn fine.
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2022, 01:43 AM,
RE: error on PBEM replay
The replay part is corrupted, been doing pbem for over 20 years and have run into this now and then, seems to be more often lately since many no longer zip game files with the larger attachment sizes allowed now. 
Occasionally the bte itself will get so corrupted either when being saved or in transit and won't even load.  That's why I create a folder for each opponent and store the game emails until we finish, if a problem develops we just back up a turn or two and replay those.
Also avoid opening more than one game/battle file at a time, this can confuse the pc as to which folder/file it is working in resulting in these kinds of problems.
06-13-2022, 03:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-13-2022, 03:14 AM by Partizanka.)
(06-13-2022, 01:43 AM)krmiller Wrote: The replay part is corrupted, been doing pbem for over 20 years and have run into this now and then, seems to be more often lately since many no longer zip game files with the larger attachment sizes allowed now. 
Occasionally the bte itself will get so corrupted either when being saved or in transit and won't even load.  That's why I create a folder for each opponent and store the game emails until we finish, if a problem develops we just back up a turn or two and replay those.
Also avoid opening more than one game/battle file at a time, this can confuse the pc as to which folder/file it is working in resulting in these kinds of problems.

Hey Ken, It has been almost twenty years since I last saw you at Tillercon. Hope you are doing well. I had corrupted files before but not with that report window. Do we have to begin again or does the replay file get overwritten each turn?
06-13-2022, 03:19 AM,
(06-13-2022, 01:43 AM)krmiller Wrote: The replay part is corrupted, been doing pbem for over 20 years and have run into this now and then, seems to be more often lately since many no longer zip game files with the larger attachment sizes allowed now. 

OK. So we can also keep the emails until the game ends and revert to previous uncorrupted turn if it happens ...
06-13-2022, 04:38 AM,
(06-13-2022, 03:19 AM)nukkxx Wrote:

OK. So we can also keep the emails until the game ends and revert to previous uncorrupted turn if it happens ...
Yes, that also keeps us in play when one of occasionally sends the wrong file.  We may have to start the game over and we might have to start zipping files. Corruption also happens when you have more than one game window open or forget to close out the game and shut the window before sending. I am waiting for Ken to get back on whether we have start again.
06-13-2022, 04:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-13-2022, 04:47 AM by nukkxx.)
(06-13-2022, 04:38 AM)Partizanka Wrote:
(06-13-2022, 03:19 AM)nukkxx Wrote:

Yes, that also keeps us in play when one of occasionally sends the wrong file.  We may have to start the game over and we might have to start zipping files. Corruption also happens when you have more than one game window open or forget to close out the game and shut the window before sending. I am waiting for Ken to get back on whether we have start again.

No problem for me to restart. Fortunately it occurred on turn one :-) 
Let's wait for Ken. Then let me know what you prefer. 
Just suddenly coming to my mind: could the issue be linked with the fact that I created the game while I'm player #2 ? 
Maybe better if you create the game if we need to restart, as you are player #1 ?
06-13-2022, 08:57 AM,
I've never seen the report you are talking about, but have had people talking about corrupted game files a lot more lately...I always suggest Zipping turns as that fixes it pretty much every time.

Also, the replay is new every time...but it is a good practice to periodically delete the pbemail.xxx & .yyy files from the \Saves directory after you finish a turn - those are temp work files and sometimes they can get corrupted as well.
06-13-2022, 09:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-13-2022, 09:08 AM by nukkxx.)
I never had troubles without zipping on my other games (and i think I read somewhere that zipping is not anymore necessary). Here the file is not technically corrupted as Partizanka can open it.
06-13-2022, 10:17 AM,
(06-13-2022, 08:57 AM)rahamy Wrote: I've never seen the report you are talking about, but have had people talking about corrupted game files a lot more lately...I always suggest Zipping turns as that fixes it pretty much every time.

Also, the replay is new every time...but it is a good practice to periodically delete the pbemail.xxx & .yyy files from the \Saves directory after you finish a turn - those are temp work files and sometimes they can get corrupted as well.

Thanks Rick and Ken. I am just going to restart from scratch after deleting the file. It bothers me that I was prompted for a replay when there would have been no replay to watch on the very first turn since my side was to move first, so something might be related to that. I have the original file that I received I think if you want to see the report window popup.
06-13-2022, 03:32 PM,
Usually it should be no problem starting as side #1 and having nothing to do but sending the file as the scenario was designed with side #2 as the first player. You can send me the original file created by player #1 and I can have a look.