• Downloads

Changing Hexes
02-07-2022, 04:54 AM,
RE: Changing Hexes
(02-07-2022, 04:49 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 04:47 AM)Jim Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 04:29 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 03:14 AM)Jim Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 02:05 AM)Liebchen Wrote: Copy the hex-mapping files from S'41 to S'42 and you should be fine. They are the ones labeled such things as 2DNormal50 and such.

You can also cut and paste only those portions that you like in S'41 into the bitmap in the S'42 folder.

Liebchen here is what I did....I changed the folder inside the map folder from Legendary Gold or whatever and renamed it with the word original after that, then I copied the whole "Map" folder from Smolensk to Stalingrad. I have the same colors. But I have looked at all the hex color palettes (like the one taymaj sent) and I dont see any difference. Not sure why the colors are so "off" in my Stalingrad game. And why do we have lilke three different map folders? But even at that I dont see any difference in the hex color palette

I don't know what "folder inside the map folder" you're referring to.

Inside the maps folder are files named 2DNormal50, 2DNormal100, 2DMud50, etc. Just replace those files with the versions in your S'42 Maps folder, and you should be fine.

lol.....sorry I wasnt very clear. Inside my S42 folder is a folder called "Map" Inside the Map folder I have several other folders......So I copied the whole folder titled Legacy Gold something from Smolensk and pasted it into Stalingrad, which I now think did nothing.

Yeah, no, subfolders there are just for organizing your variants and mods. The program just accesses the files directly under the Maps header.

OK Thanks....that was my conclusion and I dont think swapping them out will change colors. And btw....I went back to S41 and looked at the high hills west of Vyazma and they are the same color, so I guess I was thinking of the more tan and brown colors of the older versions of the game (which I no longer have save on my eyepad).
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2022, 05:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2022, 05:20 AM by taymaj.)
I took a crack at what I think you are looking for - greens for low elevation, tans for high.  See attached.  I tested on the 4.00 version of Stalingrad '42 in the Scenario Editor.

You would replace your ...\Map\2DNormal...bmp files with the files in the attachments.  There is a slight within-hex gradient, but, eh.  My method also wiped out the subtle "texturing" within the hex.  I probably could have figured out how to grayscale then gradient, but I was going quickly.

[Image: Screenshot%202022-02-06%20140602.jpg]

If you want to change the color range, I also included a blank template.

Use paint.net's gradient tool - Anti-alias = No, Blending Mode = Multiply.  The top color is the Primary color, and the bottom color is the Secondary... higher elevations go towards the bottom color. Click in the center-top of the .bmp and drag all the way down to the center-bottom.

Once you're happy with the color range, re-size by 50% to get the "100.bmp" and then 50% again for the "50.bmp".

Attached Files
.zip   2D_Test.zip (Size: 58.04 KB / Downloads: 5)
02-07-2022, 06:04 AM,
(02-07-2022, 05:19 AM)taymaj Wrote: he hex.  I probably could have figured out how to grayscale then gradient, but I was going quickly.

[Image: Screenshot%202022-02-06%20140602.jpg]
Looks better!! Thanks.