• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Changing Hexes
02-06-2022, 11:08 PM,
Changing Hexes
Probly not the right forum for this but, we are about to play one of the summer scenarios in Stalingrad 42. I detest the pink and rose colored clear terrain hexes in S 42 and prefer the colors used in Smolensk 41. Is there an easy way for me to copy the terrain hexes from Smolensk to Stalingrad without breaking Stalingrad? I just want it to look like those hexes. BTW, both games are gold versions.
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2022, 01:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2022, 01:35 AM by taymaj.)
RE: Changing Hexes
I used the paint.net gradient tool and re-colored the 200.bmp (see attached).  The end point for elevation is set to the default yellow midpoint.  You lose some resolution for elevation changes but the color pallette should be better.  I think you would just re-size to the 100 and 50.bmp sizes for the other 2 zoom levels.

(You'd have to repeat the copy-paste for the soft and mud conditions too, if those came in to play.)

Attached Files
.zip   2DNormal200 - Copy.zip (Size: 314.23 KB / Downloads: 8)
02-07-2022, 02:05 AM,
(02-06-2022, 11:08 PM)Jim Wrote: Probly not the right forum for this but, we are about to play one of the summer scenarios in Stalingrad 42. I detest the pink and rose colored clear terrain hexes in S 42 and prefer the colors used in Smolensk 41. Is there an easy way for me to copy the terrain hexes from Smolensk to Stalingrad without breaking Stalingrad? I just want it to look like those hexes. BTW, both games are gold versions.

Copy the hex-mapping files from S'41 to S'42 and you should be fine. They are the ones labeled such things as 2DNormal50 and such.

You can also cut and paste only those portions that you like in S'41 into the bitmap in the S'42 folder.
02-07-2022, 03:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2022, 03:18 AM by Jim.)
(02-07-2022, 02:05 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 11:08 PM)Jim Wrote: Probly not the right forum for this but, we are about to play one of the summer scenarios in Stalingrad 42. I detest the pink and rose colored clear terrain hexes in S 42 and prefer the colors used in Smolensk 41. Is there an easy way for me to copy the terrain hexes from Smolensk to Stalingrad without breaking Stalingrad? I just want it to look like those hexes. BTW, both games are gold versions.

Copy the hex-mapping files from S'41 to S'42 and you should be fine. They are the ones labeled such things as 2DNormal50 and such.

You can also cut and paste only those portions that you like in S'41 into the bitmap in the S'42 folder.

Liebchen here is what I did....I changed the folder inside the map folder from Legendary Gold or whatever and renamed it with the word original after that, then I copied the whole "Map" folder from Smolensk to Stalingrad. I have the same colors. But I have looked at all the hex color palettes (like the one taymaj sent) and I dont see any difference. Not sure why the colors are so "off" in my Stalingrad game. And why do we have lilke three different map folders? But even at that I dont see any difference in the hex color palette
02-07-2022, 04:18 AM,
Jim, I am a bit confused, but suspect you have a mod added, hence some of the folder names you mention which I don't see. I have the plain Stalingrad Gold install and checked. I have a map folder, and in it are Hex Outline and No Hex Outline folders, no Legendary Gold or anything else close to that.

As to the point of different map folders, they are so you can swap different versions of the map files out without losing them, similar to what you did, but from Smolensk. But that may be the problem - you need to copy the files from whatever source you want, and overwrite those in the map folder. You may have already done that but wanted to be sure you understood that piece. You can try pulling from whatever files you have available and see if any look the way you like, keeping the originals safe in case you want them later.
[Image: exercise.png]
02-07-2022, 04:25 AM,
So I understand, your color palette is this:
[Image: Screenshot%202022-02-06%20131939.jpg]

But you'd prefer something more like this:
[Image: Screenshot%202022-02-06%20131823.jpg]
02-07-2022, 04:29 AM,
(02-07-2022, 03:14 AM)Jim Wrote:

Liebchen here is what I did....I changed the folder inside the map folder from Legendary Gold or whatever and renamed it with the word original after that, then I copied the whole "Map" folder from Smolensk to Stalingrad. I have the same colors. But I have looked at all the hex color palettes (like the one taymaj sent) and I dont see any difference. Not sure why the colors are so "off" in my Stalingrad game. And why do we have lilke three different map folders? But even at that I dont see any difference in the hex color palette

I don't know what "folder inside the map folder" you're referring to.

Inside the maps folder are files named 2DNormal50, 2DNormal100, 2DMud50, etc. Just replace those files with the versions in your S'42 Maps folder, and you should be fine.
02-07-2022, 04:44 AM,
(02-07-2022, 04:25 AM)taymaj Wrote: So I understand, your color palette is this:
[Image: Screenshot%202022-02-06%20131939.jpg]

But you'd prefer something more like this:
[Image: Screenshot%202022-02-06%20131823.jpg]

Yes or even darker brown but not so much a "Peach" color
02-07-2022, 04:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2022, 04:48 AM by Jim.)
(02-07-2022, 04:29 AM)Liebchen Wrote:

Inside the maps folder are files named 2DNormal50, 2DNormal100, 2DMud50, etc. Just replace those files with the versions in your S'42 Maps folder, and you should be fine.

lol.....sorry I wasnt very clear. Inside my S42 folder is a folder called "Map" Inside the Map folder I have several other folders......So I copied the whole folder titled Legacy Gold something from Smolensk and pasted it into Stalingrad, which I now think did nothing.

Attached Files
.png   Map folder.png (Size: 71.33 KB / Downloads: 3)
02-07-2022, 04:49 AM,
(02-07-2022, 04:47 AM)Jim Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 04:29 AM)Liebchen Wrote:

lol.....sorry I wasnt very clear. Inside my S42 folder is a folder called "Map" Inside the Map folder I have several other folders......So I copied the whole folder titled Legacy Gold something from Smolensk and pasted it into Stalingrad, which I now think did nothing.

Yeah, no, subfolders there are just for organizing your variants and mods. The program just accesses the files directly under the Maps header.