• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Assault Bug in DF'85
12-27-2021, 03:41 AM,
RE: Assault Bug in DF'85
There is more fishy stuff going on. I don't think that it is legal to assault with an unavailable self propelled howitzer bataillon, yet works perfectly fine.
And drawing opportunity fire for invalid assaults happens all the time.
Quote this message in a reply
12-27-2021, 06:28 AM,
(12-27-2021, 03:41 AM)Markus Gattringer Wrote: There is more fishy stuff going on. I don't think that it is legal to assault with an unavailable self propelled howitzer bataillon, yet works perfectly fine.
And drawing opportunity fire for invalid assaults happens all the time.

Hmm, I would disagree on self propelled artillery assaulting. PzC units represent mixed formations, where there can be vehicles, machine guns, flame throwers and foot soldiers representing the combat power of the unit. So an artillery unit for pretty much any nation is also going to have a security force with machine guns and other security forces, that to me represent the assaulting force.
[Image: exercise.png]
12-27-2021, 06:45 AM,
If you initiate an assault with a stack containing no valid units to assault with, the assault should not be designated on the map as pending. So if all units have insufficient movement points, for example, then a message to this effect should appear and no assault should be initiated.

Since this is not happening, but did happen in the past, there is a bug. The pending 'assault' cannot proceed, and so needs to be manually cancelled or it will remain marked on the map indefinitely.  This is my understanding of the problem.

Opportunity fire will occur since this is triggered by the initiation of the assault. If the process was working correctly, the assault would not initiated and there would be no oportunity fire.

There is no reason that an Unavailable unit could not assault if it meets all the other requirements. This has not changed.

If I am missing something, let me know. 

John
12-27-2021, 08:33 PM,
Fair enough. If the assaulting SPH is treated as a low ammunition unit I can accept that.

More entertaining is the fact that AI armour now constantly assaults helicopters, wasting good movement for no use. Leopards chasing Hinds. (Though I have to say that assaulting helicopters with AD units makes sense to me.)