• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Assault Bug in DF'85
12-23-2021, 07:51 PM,
Assault Bug in DF'85
I've noticed there's a little bug with assaults in that if you try to assault with a unit that can't, you get a message with the following:

[Image: 89hrrtK.png]

IIRC I should only see the first line. The assault icon will then stay there for the rest of the turn even though you can't do anything.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2021, 08:43 PM,
RE: Assault Bug in DF'85
I asked the same question before:

(11-29-2021, 01:04 PM)unonimus Wrote: By the way, units can draw opportunity fire by trying to assault even though they don't have enough movement points or they are not able to assault (like artillery). Is this intended? I have tested it on both PzC and MC.

It might be intended, but I don't know. It doesn't happen on previous versions, either.
:(
12-23-2021, 09:34 PM,
Looks like this is true for the Panzer Campaigns also...just messed around with some Scheldt scenario of Walcheren...I have tried to launch an assault across the canal hex. It is not possible to do so with this unit, but even so, there is this assault icon on the target hex and it also triggers enemy fire, liek in cases when the assault is actually possible.

I get the same message on the screen as posted above...I don´t think this is intended, it is probably a bug after the new updates.
12-23-2021, 10:44 PM,
Hi all,

The messaging you are seeing may have crept in as we rewrote the assault code. We will have a look at it for the next round of patches.

I can tell you that the assault code is by far the most complex section of the game code and we spent a long time to get it working properly. There were issues (not obvious) previously.

David
12-24-2021, 01:16 AM,
(12-23-2021, 07:51 PM)Pinetree Wrote: I've noticed there's a little bug with assaults in that if you try to assault with a unit that can't, you get a message with the following:

IIRC I should only see the first line. The assault icon will then stay there for the rest of the turn even though you can't do anything.

If you tried to assault with the whole stack, I took it as a message telling me that one or more units doesn't have enough movement to assault, but, the rest do.  If you continue, there will still be an assault minus the unit or units that don't have enough movement.
12-24-2021, 01:33 AM,
(12-23-2021, 09:34 PM)Fhil Wrote: Looks like this is true for the Panzer Campaigns also...just messed around with some Scheldt scenario of Walcheren...I have tried to launch an assault across the canal hex. It is not possible to do so with this unit, but even so, there is this assault icon on the target hex and it also triggers enemy fire, liek in cases when the assault is actually possible.

I get the same message on the screen as posted above...I don´t think this is intended, it is probably a bug after the new updates.

I take this as you may not have the movement to assault, but, you had movement to go into travel mode to cross.  Movement draws fire.  That's the way I see it and have to try something else or take my losses and try to bull through next turn if possible.
12-24-2021, 05:08 PM,
(12-24-2021, 01:16 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote:
(12-23-2021, 07:51 PM)Pinetree Wrote: I've noticed there's a little bug with assaults in that if you try to assault with a unit that can't, you get a message with the following:

If you tried to assault with the whole stack, I took it as a message telling me that one or more units doesn't have enough movement to assault, but, the rest do.  If you continue, there will still be an assault minus the unit or units that don't have enough movement.
Yeah, I've had that before too. In this case though, I'd selected a single unit, the other two units were spent.
12-25-2021, 12:33 AM,
(12-24-2021, 05:08 PM)Pinetree Wrote:

Yeah, I've had that before too. In this case though, I'd selected a single unit, the other two units were spent.

The pic shows blue outline on both sides of the river.  Which means you need a bridge to cross or an engineer to ferry/boat across.  In which case, you need to be in travel mode to do so.  None of those three look to be in T-mode.
12-25-2021, 10:29 PM,
Just to clarify and repeat, none of my "assaulting" units were able to assault across that canal, so it´s not about one unit being able to and the rest not.
12-26-2021, 10:17 AM,
(12-25-2021, 12:33 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote:
(12-24-2021, 05:08 PM)Pinetree Wrote:

The pic shows blue outline on both sides of the river.  Which means you need a bridge to cross or an engineer to ferry/boat across.  In which case, you need to be in travel mode to do so.  None of those three look to be in T-mode.

No, it's a stream. :) I'm playing Eaglehorse and the stream is just east of Bad Neustadt. However, I know the unit was ineligible and that's not the issue here. The issue is getting the conflicting message and assault markers with opp fire after an assault has been declined.