• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Noob Query re. phased v. continuous-play mode
02-24-2021, 06:14 PM,
Noob Query re. phased v. continuous-play mode
The JTS operational games have the option (available via the "Rules" dialog) to play scenarios in Phases: i.e. "Manual Defensive Fire", as opposed to a continuous mode (i.e. no phases, with freedom to move or fire at will etc).

As a new and inexperienced player I was wondering: what are the pluses/minuses of the two modes, and which is more popular? 

Also, which is best (or recommended) for single-player scenarios?

Does it, in fact, matter much?

Many thanks in advance for replies. :-)
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2021, 07:27 PM,
RE: Noob Query re. phased v. continuous-play mode
1. In general, playing in Phases let's you to avoid some non-historical game engine use (like a unit move into hex, fires, moves out. Then the other unit move into the same hex, fires, moves out. Then the other unit moves into the same hex, fires, moves out. And so on). So it will give you better simulation of the warfare.
2. So Phases in the preferred way to play against AI.
3. When it comes to PBEM, unfortunately, playing in Phases will increase number of turns by factor of 4. So, everyone plays in Continuous mode only due to this reason.
02-24-2021, 11:02 PM,
(02-24-2021, 07:27 PM)Stas_sche Wrote: 1. In general, playing in Phases let's you to avoid some non-historical game engine use (like a unit move into hex, fires, moves out. Then the other unit move into the same hex, fires, moves out. Then the other unit moves into the same hex, fires, moves out. And so on). So it will give you better simulation of the warfare.
2. So Phases in the preferred way to play against AI.
3. When it comes to PBEM, unfortunately, playing in Phases will increase number of turns by factor of 4. So, everyone plays in Continuous mode only due to this reason.

Hi and many thanks for this -- ah, OK, I get it now! Thanks again. :-)
02-25-2021, 06:13 AM,
I have been here since 2004 and there has been almost zero discussion about using the multiple phase option, so I have always assumed that very few people use it and I personally never had.

Of course that does not mean there is anything wrong with phases, but as this is mainly a PBEM community I suppose that is not a surprise.  Smile
02-26-2021, 04:25 AM,
Although I have never used Phased play in PzC or MC games, it is the only way I will play the ACW titles (which is a different Ladder and board just adding it for conversation).
02-26-2021, 07:27 AM,
(02-26-2021, 04:25 AM)Steel God Wrote: Although I have never used Phased play in PzC or MC games, it is the only way I will play the ACW titles (which is a different Ladder and board just adding it for conversation).

Wow, how many extra "turns" or emails does Phased play require? I thought Phased play would only double the email count, but after seeing the rulebook for the War of 1812 it turns out to be a lot more!
02-26-2021, 12:35 PM,
(02-26-2021, 07:27 AM)NikolaiB Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 04:25 AM)Steel God Wrote: Although I have never used Phased play in PzC or MC games, it is the only way I will play the ACW titles (which is a different Ladder and board just adding it for conversation).

Wow, how many extra "turns" or emails does Phased play require? I thought Phased play would only double the email count, but after seeing the rulebook for the War of 1812 it turns out to be a lot more!
It's not as bad as it sounds, and there is a way to get the phased play effects without having to do any extra email exchanges.

Have a look at this thread where I asked a few resident experts about it: https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=72378

It works as described and plays well. I'm an old opponent of Steel God's (Hi Paul!), and it's the only way we've ever played the ACW titles.
"If you want to know a man's true character, give him some power." - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
02-26-2021, 11:20 PM,

Although I recently purchased 1776 and French & Indian War, and have been playing PzC/MC forever, the following response applies ONLY to the ACW games because they are the ONLY ones I have done this with and quite frankly without looking at it I don't want to "assume" this works for other game series.

That said:  If you check off "MDF (manual Defensive fire)" and "ADF (automatic defensive fire)" in the optional rules when you play PBEM then you will exchange exactly 1 email per turn (same as non-phased play).  The play flow is player A does all movement, advances phases, player B (controlled by AI by virtue of ADF being checked) conducts a full defensive fire phase, and the AI advances the phase, player A conducts a full offensive fire phase, advances phase, player A conducts a full melee phase, ends turn and send email to opponent. 

Part of the reason why I have never looked at phased play in PzC/MC is because they are intended (in my mind and I believe certainly in original design) to be fluid combat situations with maneuver and breakthrough and exploitation.  ACW battles are better modeled with less of that and phased play does a better job of modelling the era.  I don't believe either way is perfect and both ways have exploitable things that can be annoying, but they are games of course.

Apologies to anyone annoyed by me talking non-PzC in the PzC Forum.
02-26-2021, 11:22 PM,
(02-26-2021, 12:35 PM)2-81 Armor Wrote:

It's not as bad as it sounds, and there is a way to get the phased play effects without having to do any extra email exchanges.

Have a look at this thread where I asked a few resident experts about it: https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=72378

It works as described and plays well. I'm an old opponent of Steel God's (Hi Paul!), and it's the only way we've ever played the ACW titles.

Tom is being modest and in fact was the one who taught me this method.  I have experimented with non-phased play in other games and the experience was disappointing.  Phased play for ACW is the only way IMHO.
02-28-2021, 10:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-28-2021, 10:18 PM by phoenix.)
Does phased play mitigate the evils of the spotting/LOS mechanics? In non-phased play, one of the worst aspects of turn-based games, I think, is the artificiality of advancing over a considerable distance in open terrain, say (with tanks, say) and not seeing the enemy tanks under your nose until your next turn (if they don't trigger a reveal mechanic). This is very noticeable with tanks and such like in open terrain, but also with cavalry in the Napoleonic titles, and effects, really, all JTS games, because it's the same in every title. It's been long-discussed elsewhere, pros and cons etc, and I don't mean to revive those discussions. But was just wondering if in phased play the manual defensive fire phase is when you get to spot things newly come into LOS? Anyone know?