• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PBEM phased fire and Supply Sources/Wagons
03-05-2019, 12:09 PM,
Help  PBEM phased fire and Supply Sources/Wagons
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the follow questions?

PBEM Phased fire: A year ago I was in a PBEM battle (Murfreesboro) where my opponent coached me on how to set up the game so that we could have phased defensive fire in it, but would still be able to exchange emails by Turn rather than by Phases. All I can recall is it had something to do with what combination of options were selected at game start (sort of manipulating the system). It did work, and we were able to fight the entire battle this way with no problems, exchanging entire Turns, not Phases by email. I've since lost touch with this person, and (stupid me!) I've lost the written notes I made for how to do this. Has anyone else played this way, and can you help with how to accomplish setting it up?

Supply Sources: In a game, if one side has a supply source on map, and the opposing forces enter that hex, is the source removed from the game? (Like capturing a major depot?). Further, if a source hex is entered, are all units of the losing side now considered to be isolated or out of supply? In scenario design if one or both sides are given a supply source, are supply wagons still needed? I've looked at all of the game documentation, and I can't find anything covering these situations beyond the isolation rules. Maybe I'm overlooking something simple?

Supply Wagons: Most scenarios in this series have supply wagon assigned to divisions. If a division were to lose it's wagon, could it still draw supply from the wagon of another division? In scenario design if an OOB was created that assigned wagons at the brigade level, would these wagons be limited to supplying their brigade only? Further, if the parent division of those brigades also had a wagon, would it be capable of supplying any brigade in that division? Last one about wagons: Many if not all OOB's at their end show an "Army Wagon" or "Army Train", but I've never encountered these being used. Does anyone know if they have a function and what it might be?

I hope someone can provide some insight, and like I said, I may be overlooking the obvious.
"If you want to know a man's true character, give him some power." - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2019, 02:21 PM,
RE: PBEM phased fire and Supply Sources/Wagons
Select both Manual Defensive Fire (which triggers phased play) and Automatic Defensive fire (which will have the computer resolve it)
Scenario Designer JTS Midway JTS Seven Years War JTS Wolfpack WDS Kriegsmarine
03-05-2019, 08:25 PM,
(03-05-2019, 12:09 PM)2-81 Armor Wrote: I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the follow questions?

Supply Sources: In a game, if one side has a supply source on map, and the opposing forces enter that hex, is the source removed from the game? (Like capturing a major depot?). Further, if a source hex is entered, are all units of the losing side now considered to be isolated or out of supply? In scenario design if one or both sides are given a supply source, are supply wagons still needed? I've looked at all of the game documentation, and I can't find anything covering these situations beyond the isolation rules. Maybe I'm overlooking something simple?

Supply Wagons: Most scenarios in this series have supply wagon assigned to divisions. If a division were to lose it's wagon, could it still draw supply from the wagon of another division? In scenario design if an OOB was created that assigned wagons at the brigade level, would these wagons be limited to supplying their brigade only? Further, if the parent division of those brigades also had a wagon, would it be capable of supplying any brigade in that division? Last one about wagons: Many if not all OOB's at their end show an "Army Wagon" or "Army Train", but I've never encountered these being used. Does anyone know if they have a function and what it might be?

I hope someone can provide some insight, and like I said, I may be overlooking the obvious.

Disclaimer - I don't know if they changed things with the current round of updates coming out of WDS -I have not heard that they did...

Supply Sources - those are used for isolation purposes  - usually your lines of communication point off map for a side -and that's that ... however there are some situations that a scenario designer will create where your lines of communication (lines of communication are my term -it is just meant to be distinct from resupplying ammo) can point to somewhere on the map and even if your path towards off-board is blocked- you are still considered not to be isolated (an example of that would be in the Fort Donelson scenarios ... where basically you got a river on one side of you (as the CSA player) -and Union everywhere else --- without a supply source your units would be isolated -- it is just a mechanism to prevent a unit from becoming isolated in those types of situations.

They also are completely independent of resupplying ammo.

Supply Wagons -- doesn't matter - and supply wagon can resupply any unit. I used to think it mattered where they were found in an OOB - but it doesn't.  In some other series it matters in that a supply wagon from one nation is not able to resupply any unit from another nation -but in Civil War Battles there are only 2 sides. 

Now this doesn't mean that you will find scenario designers that assign wagons outside of the organisational structure of an army - but, at the end of the day ... no difference. I guess it looks more technical, but it isn't relevant in game terms.
Send this user an email
03-05-2019, 11:28 PM,
Gary and Trauth,

Thanks for the quick answers to my questions. Seems that this really is a simple and elegant system after all. Sometimes when you've been involved with other complex sims/games you start seeing everything in those terms. Thanks to both of you for pointing out what was really right in front of me the entire time. Your help is really appreciated!
"If you want to know a man's true character, give him some power." - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)