• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Dirty Little Secret?
01-05-2021, 06:51 AM,
RE: Dirty Little Secret?
It sounds like JTS won't develop the SB series further, which it would deserve.

I personally do not care about the map editor and would appreciate if JTS could make at least the previous game versions with the stock graphics available again.
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2021, 08:27 AM,
For one, I love the map editor, now can make scenario's. Personally I don't care about the portraits, I thought they were ugly and stupid for a squad sized game.
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
01-05-2021, 04:15 PM,
(01-05-2021, 08:27 AM)Warhorse Wrote: For one, I love the map editor, now can make scenario's. Personally I don't care about the portraits, I thought they were ugly and stupid for a squad sized game.

Hey Warhorse, you seem outnumbered in your disdain for the old graphics - I personally like them but have gotten used to the top down graphics where they are implemented properly (in fact I really love them when done properly like your Afrika Korps units are beautiful). If the commander graphics show one figure only then that works for me - the facing of the units would also be great if they could be graphically shown (but not possible at the moment - would be great to get that fixed by the power that be). I would even be willing to volunteer to edit all the stock scenarios to change the commanders to single figures if they could be officially updated in the installers so that everyone plays with the same version. Perhaps we can persuade the JTS staff to support our efforts in keeping their products alive - seeing as though they are still earning from them?
Send this user an email
01-05-2021, 08:15 PM,
(01-05-2021, 04:15 PM)Ashcloud Wrote: Hey Warhorse, you seem outnumbered in your disdain for the old graphics 

Salute6 Whistle
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
01-05-2021, 08:20 PM,
(01-05-2021, 04:15 PM)Ashcloud Wrote: I would even be willing to volunteer to edit all the stock scenarios to change the commanders to single figures if they could be officially updated in the installers so that everyone plays with the same version. Perhaps we can persuade the JTS staff to support our efforts in keeping their products alive 

I think its been made pretty clear further development by JTS on this series isn't going to happen. In order for you to do this Ash I think you would need to edit every single scenario in every game in the whole series. 

That's one of the the advantages with restoring just the portraits, they are good for units and good for leaders and no editing of any scenarios needs to be done.
Napoleon I
01-06-2021, 10:31 AM,
(01-05-2021, 08:20 PM)Embis Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 04:15 PM)Ashcloud Wrote: I would even be willing to volunteer to edit all the stock scenarios to change the commanders to single figures if they could be officially updated in the installers so that everyone plays with the same version. Perhaps we can persuade the JTS staff to support our efforts in keeping their products alive 

I think its been made pretty clear further development by JTS on this series isn't going to happen. In order for you to do this Ash I think you would need to edit every single scenario in every game in the whole series. 

That's one of the the advantages with restoring just the portraits, they are good for units and good for leaders and no editing of any scenarios needs to be done.
Yup, EVERY unit, EVERY oob! I've done it for my mod, takes a very long time, especially with the larger scenario's.
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
01-06-2021, 12:19 PM,
Honestly, old portraits have always looked a bit odd to me. The faces on those portraits just look weird and unnatural. Like, come on, do these graphics really look that much better than top down ones?

Top down graphics have at least streamlined it in my opinion. Unit counters look more crisp and map itself is obviously much better.
01-06-2021, 12:50 PM,
(01-06-2021, 12:19 PM)All_American Wrote: Honestly, old portraits have always looked a bit odd to me. The faces on those portraits just look weird and unnatural. Like, come on, do these graphics really look that much better than top down ones?

Top down graphics have at least streamlined it in my opinion. Unit counters look more crisp and map itself is obviously much better.

+1
01-06-2021, 08:15 PM,
(01-06-2021, 12:19 PM)All_American Wrote: Honestly, old portraits have always looked a bit odd to me. The faces on those portraits just look weird and unnatural. Like, come on, do these graphics really look that much better than top down ones?

LOL -- even before clicking on your link I *knew* which specific example I was going to find TEEHEE

Yes, those stick out like a sore thumb, however I think the level of ugliness depends on the game. I've been working on restoring the Spanish Civil War portraits and they look much, much better. The game is also very benign when it comes to fixing oobs; it is quite consistent across scenarios as to which images are used to represent leaders, so editing the image sheets is enough for most scens.

I've kept the topdown view for the counters but the unit cards need a more distinct and personal representation of the units IMO: especially when blown up to a larger size, the stark topdown graphics look too much like a basic drawing (no disrespect to the modder and the clearly huge work of love he undertook).

Beyond personal tastes, I believe the main point of contention is that the new graphics were unleashed on veteran players without warning, consultation or option to go back. I don't think there's much disagreement in that such a broad move coulda, shoulda been handled better.
01-06-2021, 09:24 PM,

Can't argue with those examples! This has really split the community and sadly driven some people away. I really loved Ritchies top down mod when it first came out. My views have shifted a bit since then there are some bits of that better better than others. I love the vehicle top down views on the whole, I am less keen on the infantry and leader graphics. I accept that not everyone shares my view.

For me to be happy someone who has the artistic skills to redo some/many of the portraits would be ideal. I would love to see the improved portraits that  Xerxes77  has been working on for Spanish Civil war. 

I would want to keep all the improvements to the terrain graphics, they look great, and I think that's one area where we have probably got a consensus.
Napoleon I