• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Why have different clubs
12-14-2020, 11:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-14-2020, 11:55 PM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
RE: Why have different clubs
(12-14-2020, 11:53 AM)johnsilver Wrote: Don't look past Blitz for games myself either. Why? Never heard of the one mentioned in above post until now.

Do have a question tho.. All this going on lately.. Questions on PP transparency, Now looking to join/merge with other wargame sites? Isn't have a particular club by itself a way of keeping a group happily together? Allowing any who may want to leave a free choice to go with another?

Reminds me of the days of Panzer General and Panzer General 2 heyday when were groups all over with each it seemed filled with dislike towards the other from some of what have read in a couple of the posts previously. If this is correct? Believe bringing together would not work and a serious mistake myself.

JS

Hello JS,

I've been a Blitzer since 2002. I was a member of other clubs, when there were other clubs. A lot of them were started by Blitz members who were either cast out for not following the rules, disgruntled because they wanted more of themselves and less of the Blitz, or they simply thought they could do it better.

On PayPal donations? I personally have sent checks and used PayPal to support the club. I did it because I wanted to help this great club exit. No one is getting rich off donations to the club. The original founders paid the bills. That is not happening any longer. The club relies on the donations.
If anyone does not want to give a donation? Don't. As with all giving it is a personal thing?

The club officers know that they can count on me if they get stuck. But, that is also personal.

As far as "blending with other clubs"? Anyone from any other club is welcome to become a member here. That is not true of other clubs. And, as other have stated we have had cross club competition with other clubs. Rare but they happened.

And, yes, I have a personal disgust when a cheater and the pot stirrer leaves the Blitz to form their own club and puts the Blitz down all the while. Yes, it becomes personal to me. Thank you 3

Farmer

HSL
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2020, 07:40 AM,
Here at the Blitz members are welcome to come and go as they please, they can also be members of any other clubs that catch their eye, all we ask is that while members are here they follow the rules which allows the Blitz to be the friendly & fun place that it is, gone are the bad old days when the boards required constant vigil and moderation and bans were a regular occurrence. 

I like to think the old girl has come of age..............  Big Grin
12-15-2020, 09:23 AM,
(12-14-2020, 09:05 PM)Steel God Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 02:54 PM)Ricky B Wrote: We had a cross club tourney way back when - in 2004. What a memory you say? No, but I got a medal for it and went and found it to find when we played. We played against the PzCC club - Panzer Campaigns Club, I believe. A long time ago.

I believe I organized that Team for our Club Rick ----- and I didn't remember it until you mentioned it.   Big Grin 

As some one who stepped away from the hobby for 10 years I can say with confidence that The Blitz is best because it's like coming home. For so many it fits us right.  I forgot a lot about the hobby in my 10 year Rip Van Winkle act, but what stayed with me like the dying embers of a fire were 1) My love of war gaming; 2) My recollections of honored opponents and collaborators; and 3) The Spirit of The Blitz.

Paul, I didn't remember much of it myself, except that we won of course  Big Laugh. You did a good job of organizing us, although I couldn't have said who was involved after all this time. Or even the scenarios I fought in. It was fun.

I agree with your comments about the hobby and the club.

Regards
Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
12-15-2020, 09:38 AM,
I guess there are clubs built around themes because they offer different approaches to the same thing. Why don't we only build one car - in the end they all get us from A to B?

I'm sure most JTS PBEM gamers have a Blitz membership. It is a great supporter of the hobby.

Other clubs offer gamers another angle/view/humour/commentary/look/discussion etc on the gaming experience.

viva la difference!
12-15-2020, 04:24 PM,
Was reading SteelGod's Rip Van Winkle act's post again about no gaming for 10y and thought would bring up how it applied to myself as well, only about 11y. Can't recall which forum all of our group used to hang out on, but thought it was this one.. That is group KG as in Kampgruppe and went from Close Combat on the old MSN Zone to here I "thought", tho had many tentacles to other games and 15-20 members.
12-16-2020, 12:00 AM,
(12-15-2020, 09:38 AM)Lethal Wrote: I guess there are clubs built around themes because they offer different approaches to the same thing.  Why don't we only build one car - in the end they all get us from A to B? 

I'm sure most JTS PBEM gamers have a Blitz membership.  It is a great supporter of the hobby.

Other clubs offer gamers another angle/view/humour/commentary/look/discussion etc on the gaming experience.

viva la difference!

Welcome to The Blitz. I wish you luck and a great gaming experience.

Farmer

HSL
12-16-2020, 07:16 AM,
The other clubs that support multiple era's want a more structured approach to gaming, rules, etc.

I am active, and have been since 2001 or 2002, in the Napoleonic Wargaming Club, which is 95% Tiller games. We add some role play, training games, and army structure and our membership has a huge overlap with the Blitz. A large difference is that if you need technical support at tactics advice you know who to email and don't have to post on message boards...
12-17-2020, 11:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-17-2020, 11:45 PM by Steel God.)
(12-16-2020, 07:16 AM)jim pfleck Wrote: The other clubs that support multiple era's want a more structured approach to gaming, rules, etc.

I am active, and have been since 2001 or 2002, in the Napoleonic Wargaming Club, which is 95% Tiller games.  We add some role play, training games, and army structure and our membership has a huge overlap with the Blitz. A large difference is that if you need technical support at tactics advice you know who to email and don't have to post on message boards...

Not being critical, honest question:  but if everyone is pretty much going to the same source for"tactics advice" isn't everyone pretty much developing the same way?  I mean, doctrine in a real army is the right way to go about it, but isn't posting on a board and getting 20 different POVs and allowing everyone to sift through and decide what suits them and what doesn't a better way to develop "gamers".  If everyone ends up playing the same way wouldn't that be a shame?
12-18-2020, 01:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-18-2020, 01:09 AM by A Canadian Cat.)
(12-17-2020, 11:45 PM)Steel God Wrote:  If everyone ends up playing the same way wouldn't that be a shame?

It would but thankfully lots of people don't follow advice :-) and those that do still do creative things as they play. I don't think we are in danger of all becoming predictable.
12-18-2020, 04:13 AM,
(12-14-2020, 05:43 AM)Big Ivan Wrote: Did it ever occur to you that maybe the other clubs were started because they had a beef or a problem with The Blitz and decided to move away and do their own thing!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WboggjN_G-4
cheers