• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Why have different clubs
12-14-2020, 12:49 AM,
Why have different clubs
Just wondering why there are at least three general wargamming clubs out there. I have always managed to find opponents here at the blitz but I’m also a recent member of the wargamming club for gentleman and the wargamming society not sure why there is a need for all three as they all do the same thing.
  Wonder if we are like boxing and think it might be beneficial to reunite or at the very least communicate together more perhaps pool resources it would cut the bills. If not then Perhaps some cross club tourneys or leagues would be interesting. No idea why there is a split and wonder how many are like me and keep an eye on all three places
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2020, 01:43 AM,
RE: Why have different clubs
I feel the same way.I never met opponents in the other two clubs.I always find opponents here.
12-14-2020, 05:43 AM,
typhoon,

That's kind of a loaded question! 

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the other clubs were started because they had a beef or a problem with The Blitz and decided to move away and do their own thing!?

I know for a fact that is true in one of those cases you mention. I will not say which out of respect for The Blitz. The other one you mention I know nothing about so can't comment.

To each his own I guess and I for one am very glad The Blitz is around and alive with players, games and forums. Good group here and I plan to stick with it!
12-14-2020, 08:46 AM,
(12-14-2020, 12:49 AM)typhoon Wrote: Just wondering why there are at least three general wargamming clubs out there. I have always managed to find opponents here at the blitz but I’m also a recent member of the wargamming club for gentleman and the wargamming society not sure why there is a need for all three as they all do the same thing.
  Wonder if we are like boxing and think it might be beneficial to reunite or at the very least communicate together more perhaps pool resources it would cut the bills. If not then Perhaps some cross club tourneys or leagues would be interesting. No idea why there is a split and wonder how many are like me and keep an eye on all three places

Ask the Wargame Club for Gentleman who they will allow to join? And, maybe what you are allowed to say or do (or not do) while a member?
For me, I like clubs that let all join and then stand on your own merit. But, that is just me. I'm not allowed to join one of the clubs. Not sure of the other.

What John alluded to but I can elaborate on. Wink

Farmer

HSL
12-14-2020, 08:55 AM,
Never knew any of this.Post was supposed to be more about the possibilities being greater together rather than apart.If it’s going to open up a can of worms then I would like a moderator to close the thread down before it does so
12-14-2020, 09:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-14-2020, 09:10 AM by Scud.)
The best part of the Blitz is it's database. We don't use google spreadsheets or offline stats. The database is huge and contains over twenty years worth of data. Our online hosted forums, much nicer IMO than Facebook pages, also go back quite far and can be accessed towards the top using the "Archived Forums" link. Doesn't look too pretty, but it's fun to go back in time and read old threads. Both the database and the active and archived forums contain a wealth of searchable knowledge concerning wargaming and military history. I'm biased, but The Blitz really is the gold standard. Plus we have a phenomenal webmaster and very dedicated site officers who help whenever we can.

No reason not to join the lesser clubs, if you wish, I'm sure, for the most part we share the same members, except for the few (only three in CS I think since I started moderating) who have lifetime bans for egregiously breaking the rules. 

One club you mentioned I can say unequivocally we will not be partnering with in any way whatsoever, but I for one would not be against friendly club vs club tournaments, depending on the club. 

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
12-14-2020, 11:05 AM,
(12-14-2020, 08:55 AM)typhoon Wrote: Never knew any of this.Post was supposed to be more about the possibilities being greater together rather than apart.If it’s going to open up a can of worms then I would like a moderator to close the thread down before it does so

typhoon,

You are cool and glad you stepped up to ask the question or concern.

I don't believe there is a need for a moderator to close this down. It's history with another page in the books and a done deal. You, me and the rest of The Blitz lives on!!

Enjoy your gaming typhoon with The Blitz.

Merry Christmas!! Xmas3

John Big Grin
12-14-2020, 11:53 AM,
Don't look past Blitz for games myself either. Why? Never heard of the one mentioned in above post until now.

Do have a question tho.. All this going on lately.. Questions on PP transparency, Now looking to join/merge with other wargame sites? Isn't have a particular club by itself a way of keeping a group happily together? Allowing any who may want to leave a free choice to go with another?

Reminds me of the days of Panzer General and Panzer General 2 heyday when were groups all over with each it seemed filled with dislike towards the other from some of what have read in a couple of the posts previously. If this is correct? Believe bringing together would not work and a serious mistake myself.

JS
12-14-2020, 02:54 PM,
We had a cross club tourney way back when - in 2004. What a memory you say? No, but I got a medal for it and went and found it to find when we played. We played against the PzCC club - Panzer Campaigns Club, I believe. A long time ago.
[Image: exercise.png]
12-14-2020, 09:05 PM,
(12-14-2020, 02:54 PM)Ricky B Wrote: We had a cross club tourney way back when - in 2004. What a memory you say? No, but I got a medal for it and went and found it to find when we played. We played against the PzCC club - Panzer Campaigns Club, I believe. A long time ago.

I believe I organized that Team for our Club Rick ----- and I didn't remember it until you mentioned it.   Big Grin 

As some one who stepped away from the hobby for 10 years I can say with confidence that The Blitz is best because it's like coming home. For so many it fits us right.  I forgot a lot about the hobby in my 10 year Rip Van Winkle act, but what stayed with me like the dying embers of a fire were 1) My love of war gaming; 2) My recollections of honored opponents and collaborators; and 3) The Spirit of The Blitz.