• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Normandy '44 AAR
01-09-2021, 08:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2021, 08:01 AM by CountryBoy.)
RE: Normandy '44 AAR
(01-09-2021, 07:03 AM)PlanB71401 Wrote: It looks like the only place to deploy the 2nd panzer is towards the American push on Lehr's flank...

I noticed in the June 19-30 campaign that the 2nd Panzer's tanks are still not on the frontline, and only arrive later in the day on the 19th. Assuming this translates into the grand campaign, maybe it would be better to have it replace the 12th SS or 21st panzer, so that either of those 2 divisions can be sent to help shore up Lehr's flanks? Corp Attachments may make it a little tricky for a bit.

Yes, that is probably a good spot for the 2nd Panzer, although you are correct that their tanks don't arrive for some time, so that is an issue. The other place I was thinking was on the left flank of the 17th SS Pzgr division, which is the western coastline of the Cherbourg peninsula. The terrain here is quite open along the beach and I can almost imagine an attack down this thin open area which would unravel the entire defensive line and bypass the bocage.

[Image: Terrain.JPG]
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2021, 12:54 PM,
(01-09-2021, 08:00 AM)CountryBoy Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 07:03 AM)PlanB71401 Wrote: It looks like the only place to deploy the 2nd panzer is towards the American push on Lehr's flank...

I noticed in the June 19-30 campaign that the 2nd Panzer's tanks are still not on the frontline, and only arrive later in the day on the 19th. Assuming this translates into the grand campaign, maybe it would be better to have it replace the 12th SS or 21st panzer, so that either of those 2 divisions can be sent to help shore up Lehr's flanks? Corp Attachments may make it a little tricky for a bit.

Yes, that is probably a good spot for the 2nd Panzer, although you are correct that their tanks don't arrive for some time, so that is an issue. The other place I was thinking was on the left flank of the 17th SS Pzgr division, which is the western coastline of the Cherbourg peninsula. The terrain here is quite open along the beach and I can almost imagine an attack down this thin open area which would unravel the entire defensive line and bypass the bocage.

[Image: Terrain.JPG]

Ah, that definitely could be a lynch pin in the defense! Would you rotate the 17th SS towards Carentan/2nd US armored's flank? 

It is a narrow causeway, you could just bluff a good defense with a few tank elements of either the 17th SS or 2nd Panzer?
01-09-2021, 03:09 PM,
Yes, looking from west to east, the line-up would be:

2nd Pz -- 17th SS -- Panzer Lehr -- 12th SS -- 21st Pz

I think it's quite close to the historical line-up, although I think 2nd Pz is out of position (should be around Caen). There really are only a couple of major decisions to be made in the scenario (so far).
01-09-2021, 06:51 PM,
I expected a bloodbath with the alt rules in place, but casualties are quite low thus far. As you mentioned earlier, direct fire not used by both sides.

Not being able to use the higher soft attack values the Germans tend to enjoy does complicate things. At some point you'll have to stop the Allies and their current losses are not high enough to have a significant impact on their capabilities across the map I'd say. Though I expect the airborne units moving along the beach hexes have taken a beating, manpower losses with the current pdt settings can be managed.
01-13-2021, 05:59 PM,
(01-09-2021, 06:51 PM)ComradeP Wrote: I expected a bloodbath with the alt rules in place, but casualties are quite low thus far. As you mentioned earlier, direct fire not used by both sides.

Not being able to use the higher soft attack values the Germans tend to enjoy does complicate things. At some point you'll have to stop the Allies and their current losses are not high enough to have a significant impact on their capabilities across the map I'd say. Though I expect the airborne units moving along the beach hexes have taken a beating, manpower losses with the current pdt settings can be managed.

Yes, both sides tend not to use direct fire at all. From the German perspective, nearly every occasion I have been tempted to use direct fire my units have been slammed by Allied artillery (and closer to shore a naval bombardment). The few times I have done it I have tended to regret it!

From the Allied perspective, the approach seems to be to move into contact, dig in, rely on artillery and air bombing to disrupt the defending units, and then assault. It works and it presumably limits Allied losses from opp fire.

But yes, at some point I will have to make more of an effort to stop the Allied advance. A this stage I am thinking that this starts once my front line (or most of it) sits on bocage, which at least offers some extra defence (although for the Allies too).
01-13-2021, 07:14 PM,
Turn 62. 06:00 12 June 1994. Visibility good. Disrupted units are highlighted in red.

I've jumped ahead a few turns again, to the morning of the 12th of June. For the first time in a long time weather conditions are clear, giving a very good look at enemy lines. The downside of course is that the overwhelming Allied air power is back, which limits German moves.

Starting as usual in the eastern edge of the map, the image below shows the situation around Troarn, east of Caen. The village of Troarn has been ferociously fought over, changing hands a number of times. You can see the large number of disrupted units on both German and Allied sides. Overall however this does not appear to be an area where the Allies are looking to push, at least at the moment. Which is just as well as the weak 346th Infantry Division is the main defender here.

[Image: T62%20East%20Caen.JPG] 
Moving further west, to Caen itself. As has been the case for a while, Allied advances here are minimal. The Canadians and 51st Highland have not made much of an effort here at all.

[Image: T62%20Caen.JPG]

Moving further west again, to the Bayeux region. Germans units have had to give up a hex or two here - you can see the numerous Allied units in the image. This is after German moves, before I end the turn, so I have retreated the front line back one hex. There are a LOT of Allied units here, but I feel like Panzer Lehr (and the 12th SS further east) have things in hand.

[Image: T62%20Bayeux.JPG]

Further west again, and this is the area in-between Bayeux and Carentan, south west of Utah Beach. You may recall that the Us 2nd Armored made a big push here a few turns ago. In response I moved the bulk of Panzer Lehr's armor here, which seems to have scared off the Allied armor, although perhaps only temporarily. The terrain here is not fantastic for defence, being mainly fields, so I have had to give up quite a few hexes to keep the defensive line intact and straight. 

[Image: T62%20Isigny.JPG]

Moving further west again, and to Carentan, probably my biggest worry. Two infantry divisions, backed by masses of artillery are pushing hard here. German defences are not up to the task, being worn out fallschirmjager and a few miscellaneous infantry units. That failure to blow all the bridges across the La Vire is really a problem now. I don't have many reinforcements to send here either, which is a problem. You can see how many German units are disrupted behind the front line.

[Image: T62%20Carentan.JPG]

Further west again, and looking at a zoomed out view of the Cherbourg peninsula. So far my staged withdrawal from the peninsula is working out well. There is Allied pressure, but no real attempt to outflank the retreating units (probably because my opponent is not aware of my plans and has become tangled in the fixed defences around Cherbourg itself). The arrows show the intended line of retreat.

[Image: T62%20Cherbourg%20wide.JPG]

Below is a zoomed in shot of the situation in Cherbourg. My defensive line is looking good, stiffened by units of the 17th SS Pzgdr (the blue units). However, I am nervous about the situation around Carentan. It seems clear to me that I am unlikely to hold my position around Hill 30, south west of Carentan, for long. I suspect the Allies will be driving south west from Carentan, which risks cutting off my defensive line north of la Haye du Puits. Hmmm.....

[Image: T62%20Cherbourg%20close.JPG]

A look at the jump map, and I am reasonably happy with my position (apart from the Carentan issue).

[Image: T62%20jump%20map.JPG]

And finally, the VP situation. I usually keep an eye on men losses and the differential between the two sides has been reasonably steady at around 6,000 more Allied than German. Most German gun and vehicle losses are flak units or fixed artillery units. A few tanks have been lost on the German side, however in the main I am saving those for when they are really needed.

[Image: T62%20VP.JPG]
01-13-2021, 07:56 PM,
(01-13-2021, 07:14 PM)CountryBoy Wrote: Turn 62. 06:00 12 June 1994. Visibility good. Disrupted units are highlighted in red.

I've jumped ahead a few turns again, to the morning of the 12th of June. For the first time in a long time weather conditions are clear, giving a very good look at enemy lines. The downside of course is that the overwhelming Allied air power is back, which limits German moves.

Starting as usual in the eastern edge of the map, the image below shows the situation around Troarn, east of Caen. The village of Troarn has been ferociously fought over, changing hands a number of times. You can see the large number of disrupted units on both German and Allied sides. Overall however this does not appear to be an area where the Allies are looking to push, at least at the moment. Which is just as well as the weak 346th Infantry Division is the main defender here.

[Image: T62%20East%20Caen.JPG] 
Moving further west, to Caen itself. As has been the case for a while, Allied advances here are minimal. The Canadians and 51st Highland have not made much of an effort here at all.

[Image: T62%20Caen.JPG]

Moving further west again, to the Bayeux region. Germans units have had to give up a hex or two here - you can see the numerous Allied units in the image. This is after German moves, before I end the turn, so I have retreated the front line back one hex. There are a LOT of Allied units here, but I feel like Panzer Lehr (and the 12th SS further east) have things in hand.

[Image: T62%20Bayeux.JPG]

Further west again, and this is the area in-between Bayeux and Carentan, south west of Utah Beach. You may recall that the Us 2nd Armored made a big push here a few turns ago. In response I moved the bulk of Panzer Lehr's armor here, which seems to have scared off the Allied armor, although perhaps only temporarily. The terrain here is not fantastic for defence, being mainly fields, so I have had to give up quite a few hexes to keep the defensive line intact and straight. 

[Image: T62%20Isigny.JPG]

Moving further west again, and to Carentan, probably my biggest worry. Two infantry divisions, backed by masses of artillery are pushing hard here. German defences are not up to the task, being worn out fallschirmjager and a few miscellaneous infantry units. That failure to blow all the bridges across the La Vire is really a problem now. I don't have many reinforcements to send here either, which is a problem. You can see how many German units are disrupted behind the front line.

[Image: T62%20Carentan.JPG]

Further west again, and looking at a zoomed out view of the Cherbourg peninsula. So far my staged withdrawal from the peninsula is working out well. There is Allied pressure, but no real attempt to outflank the retreating units (probably because my opponent is not aware of my plans and has become tangled in the fixed defences around Cherbourg itself). The arrows show the intended line of retreat.

[Image: T62%20Cherbourg%20wide.JPG]

Below is a zoomed in shot of the situation in Cherbourg. My defensive line is looking good, stiffened by units of the 17th SS Pzgdr (the blue units). However, I am nervous about the situation around Carentan. It seems clear to me that I am unlikely to hold my position around Hill 30, south west of Carentan, for long. I suspect the Allies will be driving south west from Carentan, which risks cutting off my defensive line north of la Haye du Puits. Hmmm.....

[Image: T62%20Cherbourg%20close.JPG]

A look at the jump map, and I am reasonably happy with my position (apart from the Carentan issue).

[Image: T62%20jump%20map.JPG]

And finally, the VP situation. I usually keep an eye on men losses and the differential between the two sides has been reasonably steady at around 6,000 more Allied than German. Most German gun and vehicle losses are flak units or fixed artillery units. A few tanks have been lost on the German side, however in the main I am saving those for when they are really needed.

[Image: T62%20VP.JPG]
Maybe it's time to move most of 17SS-PzGr Div to Carentan. Your line across the river should hold if 4th and 9th are around Carentan (and the paras at Cherbourg)
01-13-2021, 08:30 PM,
(01-13-2021, 07:56 PM)Indragnir Wrote: Maybe it's time to move most of 17SS-PzGr Div to Carentan. Your line across the river should hold if 4th and 9th are around Carentan (and the paras at Cherbourg)

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. The only problem is that those other units holding the line along the peninsula are pretty terrible - mostly E and F morale - and are pretty beat up too from trying to slow down the 101st and 82nd. I'm not sure that line would hold long without the 17th SS to add some steel.
01-14-2021, 12:48 AM,
(01-13-2021, 08:30 PM)CountryBoy Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 07:56 PM)Indragnir Wrote: Maybe it's time to move most of 17SS-PzGr Div to Carentan. Your line across the river should hold if 4th and 9th are around Carentan (and the paras at Cherbourg)

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. The only problem is that those other units holding the line along the peninsula are pretty terrible - mostly E and F morale - and are pretty beat up too from trying to slow down the 101st and 82nd. I'm not sure that line would hold long without the 17th SS to add some steel.
You should have some C/B troops (Sturm btl, MG btl 17, some LL-Div, 77th ID) able to guard the crossing points. Allied have limited crossing capacities. Also with alternative assault resoltion even D quality armor (along with some infantry) parked near the bridges could hold back Paras.
If the Carentan area wouldn't hold, he will cut all the western line. Since you know where his main untis are, you can take some risk while balancing the fronts.
01-17-2021, 10:19 PM,
Just a quick update on casualties.

[Image: 2021-01-15_22h16_24.png]

[Image: 2021-01-15_22h17_32.png]

and for those that prefer graphs...I know there is one somewhere...

[Image: 2021-01-17_11h12_45.png]

Ok back to following this excellent AAR.