• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
Normandy '44 AAR - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tiller Operational Campaigns (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: TOC AAR/DAR Forum (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+---- Thread: Normandy '44 AAR (/showthread.php?tid=74164)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Normandy '44 AAR - CountryBoy - 12-13-2020

I've always enjoyed reading AARs and thought I would finally try one myself. The scenario is the campaign game in Normandy '44, which is a scary 750 turns long! 

I am playing as the Axis, with my opponent Iley fighting to liberate France. 

The optional rules we are using are shown below:

[Image: Optional%20rules.JPG]

Unfortunately it only occurred to me to start an AAR once we were already underway, so I only have images from Turn 14 onwards. The previous 13 turns covered the Allied landings and saw me trying to form a defensive line. The Allies were able to get off the beaches fairly easily.

So Turn 14, it is 10:00 am on the 7th of June 1944. The situation around Caen is as below:

[Image: T14%20Caen.JPG]

The British have covered a fair bit of ground over the past 24 hours or so, with just a few fortified positions holding out near the beaches. The 21st Panzer Division is forming a defensive line some 7km north of Caen. It's not a bad unit although they are only B morale, but much better than 716th Infantry Division, which is also in this area, all morale E.

The grey units are the 12th SS, which are moving to take up position to the west of 21st Panzer. This is the strongest unit I have at the moment, being A morale.

Further west is Bayeux, where Allied progress has been slower, as shown below. You can see the 12th SS on the right of this image, with the 352nd Infantry on their left flank (a C morale unit), who are digging in around Bayeux.

[Image: T14%20Bayeux.JPG]

Further west again, around Omaha Beach, the Allies have made the least progress. The 352nd makes up the bulk of German resistance here, although they are thinly stretched.

[Image: T14%20Omaha.JPG]

Further west again, around Utah Beach and the Allies have gained a lot of ground. I had to pull back in order to try and form a defensive line. Plus the paras of the 82nd and 101st simply chew up the low-quality German units. Carentan is still in German hands although the US 4th Infantry Division is there in force. There is a bridge immediately north of Carentan which I have not been able to blow, which will become a problem later on. German defenders here are the 709th and 243rd Infantry and the 91st Luftlande. All pretty poor units, although there are some higher quality fallschirmjager around Carentan.

[Image: T14%20Utah.JPG]

The jump map below shows the overall situation. The German defensive line is taking shape, although it is pretty thin in parts. I have units digging in furiously all over the map and reinforcements on the way, but I'm very short of quality troops at this stage.

[Image: T14%20jump%20map.JPG]

In terms of VPs, the position as at the end of Turn 14 is as below. Allied losses are high, given the damage they took storming the beaches.

[Image: T14%20victory.JPG]

RE: Normandy '44 AAR - Ashcloud - 12-13-2020

(12-13-2020, 01:17 PM)CountryBoy Wrote: I've always enjoyed reading AARs and thought I would finally try one myself. The scenario is the campaign game in Normandy '44, which is a scary 750 turns long! 

Unfortunately it only occurred to me to start an AAR once we were already underway, so I only have images from Turn 14 onwards. The previous 13 turns covered the Allied landings and saw me trying to form a defensive line. The Allies were able to get off the beaches fairly easily.

So Turn 14, it is 10:00 am on the 7th of June 1944. The situation around Caen is as below:

[Image: T14%20Caen.JPG]

The British have covered a fair bit of ground over the past 24 hours or so, with just a few fortified positions holding out near the beaches. The 21st Panzer Division is forming a defensive line some 7km north of Caen. It's not a bad unit although they are only B morale, but much better than 716th Infantry Division, which is also in this area, all morale E.

The grey units are the 12th SS, which are moving to take up position to the west of 21st Panzer. This is the strongest unit I have at the moment, being A morale.

Further west is Bayeux, where Allied progress has been slower, as shown below. You can see the 12th SS on the right of this image, with the 352nd Infantry on their left flank (a C morale unit), who are digging in around Bayeux.

[Image: T14%20Bayeux.JPG]

Further west again, around Omaha Beach, the Allies have made the least progress. The 352nd makes up the bulk of German resistance here, although they are thinly stretched.

[Image: T14%20Omaha.JPG]

Further west again, around Utah Beach and the Allies have gained a lot of ground. I had to pull back in order to try and form a defensive line. Plus the paras of the 82nd and 101st simply chew up the low-quality German units. Carentan is still in German hands although the US 4th Infantry Division is there in force. There is a bridge immediately north of Carentan which I have not been able to blow, which will become a problem later on. German defenders here are the 709th and 243rd Infantry and the 91st Luftlande. All pretty poor units, although there are some higher quality fallschirmjager around Carentan.

[Image: T14%20Utah.JPG]

The jump map below shows the overall situation. The German defensive line is taking shape, although it is pretty thin in parts. I have units digging in furiously all over the map and reinforcements on the way, but I'm very short of quality troops at this stage.

[Image: T14%20jump%20map.JPG]

In terms of VPs, the position as at the end of Turn 14 is as below. Allied losses are high, given the damage they took storming the beaches.

[Image: T14%20victory.JPG]

Fantastic, I look forward to more. Thank you for the effort.

RE: Normandy '44 AAR - Plain Ian - 12-15-2020

(12-13-2020, 01:17 PM)CountryBoy Wrote: I've always enjoyed reading AARs and thought I would finally try one myself. The scenario is the campaign game in Normandy '44, which is a scary 750 turns long! 

Very nice maps and outline of the game so far. So this is #30x - Normandy Campaign (6 June - 19 August)_Alt. The unit graphics do not look Gold but you've maybe modded them?
It looks like they are the Default Options? You are also playing without FOW? It will be like playing a very large board wargame.  Smile

I've never played the Germans but when playing the allied side I've always tried to combine my companies to form big battalions as soon as they are off the beaches. However with the Alt rules they do suffer excessively. Good morale German units are probably better off remaining as companies and rotating them as Fatigue rockets. 

Another AAR to watch. 

Ian
PS before you take snaps can you toggle on Disruption.

RE: Normandy '44 AAR - CountryBoy - 12-15-2020

(12-15-2020, 06:38 AM)Plain Ian Wrote:

Very nice maps and outline of the game so far. So this is #30x - Normandy Campaign (6 June - 19 August)_Alt. The unit graphics do not look Gold but you've maybe modded them?
It looks like they are the Default Options? You are also playing without FOW? It will be like playing a very large board wargame.  Smile

I've never played the Germans but when playing the allied side I've always tried to combine my companies to form big battalions as soon as they are off the beaches. However with the Alt rules they do suffer excessively. Good morale German units are probably better off remaining as companies and rotating them as Fatigue rockets. 

Another AAR to watch. 

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm pretty sure it's just plain Gold, although I am using Jison's mapmod.

We are using FOW - the reason you can see so many Allied units is that I have quite a few units stuck in bunkers and pillboxes behind Allied lines. I'm not sure if this is the Alt version, I will check next time.

As the German player I have had to keep my units company-sized as I would otherwise not have enough units to form a front line.

I'll try and remember to turn disruption on next time.

Cheers,
Justin

RE: Normandy '44 AAR - Plain Ian - 12-15-2020

(12-15-2020, 07:49 AM)CountryBoy Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 06:38 AM)Plain Ian Wrote:

Another AAR to watch. 

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm pretty sure it's just plain Gold, although I am using Jison's mapmod.

We are using FOW - the reason you can see so many Allied units is that I have quite a few units stuck in bunkers and pillboxes behind Allied lines. I'm not sure if this is the Alt version, I will check next time.

As the German player I have had to keep my units company-sized as I would otherwise not have enough units to form a front line.

I'll try and remember to turn disruption on next time.

Cheers,
Justin

Oops yes you are right sorry. 

I looked at all those German units and somehow thought you were playing the Allied side??? But you did right that you were playing the German side.......mmh senior moment here.

I see what you mean about stacking/combining and forming a front line. The front line at Caen looks thin. Still in the bocage .......(Edited: thats not Bocage its Fields in front of caen sorry) but hopefully outwith the range of a lot of allied naval guns?

RE: Normandy '44 AAR - CountryBoy - 12-16-2020

Ok, next update. I've jumped ahead to Turn 16, 2pm on the 7th of June 1944.

In the Caen area the German defences are taking shape, as per below. 21st Panzer Division is in a good position to the NW of Caen. There was no German surge towards the beaches unfortunately, as I opted to save my men for defence. The 21st basically holds all positions east and north west of Caen. You can see the 12th SS Panzer Division taking up positions to the west of the 21st Panzer Division. Not too much Allied pressure in this area.

[Image: T16%20Caen.JPG]

In the Bayeux area, I have had to pull back to try and maintain a consistent line as I was in danger of being cut off around Bayeux. South East of Bayeux is the 12th SS, while the 352nd Infantry Division is to their west. They are in pretty poor shape however and will need support soon.

[Image: T16%20Bayeux.JPG]

Around Omaha, the Germans have also given up ground, although one or two fortifications are still holding out. Germans defences here are very thin and this area is a priority for reinforcement. The 352nd and elements of Schnelle Brigade (the blue units) hold this area.

[Image: T16%20Omaha.JPG]

Further to the west, things are not looking good. The Allies are pushing around Carentan, although they have been taking losses due to some pretty hefty stacks congregating in open territory. Sadly I have very little artillery to take advantage. There are some armoured units there, but they are all French tanks pressed into service and so pretty hopeless. The German paratroopers are better but few in number. The Allies have crossed La Douve and I'm unlikely to hold Carentan for very long.

[Image: T16%20Carentan.JPG]

Finally, further to the west around Utah, the Allies seem to be focusing on a push north along the eastern edge of the Cherbourg peninsula. There are plenty of German defenders here, plus a fair few bunkers, but they are mostly morale E, with the very best being morale C.

[Image: T16%20North%20Utah.JPG]

General thoughts:

So far it is not looking too good. The poor quality of the German troops makes it difficult to hold a position for any length of time. I am trying to focus on building a double defensive line: an initial line of troops dug in, with a second line two hexes back. The plan is that when the first line is disrupted or pushed back, to leapfrog over the second line and begin digging in, leaving the second line as the new front line. A bit like this:

[Image: T16%20Line.JPG]

Note the two defensive lines, separated by a line of empty hexes. This allows me to pull back to the second line without leaving a defensive position for the Allies to occupy.

Not much change to the jump map, still focusing on building a consistent defensive line.

[Image: T16%20Jump%20map.JPG]

And finally, the VP situation after Turn 16:

[Image: T16%20Victory%20points.JPG]

RE: Normandy '44 AAR - Plain Ian - 12-17-2020

(12-16-2020, 08:01 PM)CountryBoy Wrote: Ok, next update. I've jumped ahead to Turn 16, 2pm on the 7th of June 1944.

General thoughts:

So far it is not looking too good. The poor quality of the German troops makes it difficult to hold a position for any length of time. I am trying to focus on building a double defensive line: an initial line of troops dug in, with a second line two hexes back. The plan is that when the first line is disrupted or pushed back, to leapfrog over the second line and begin digging in, leaving the second line as the new front line. A bit like this:

[Image: T16%20Line.JPG]

Note the two defensive lines, separated by a line of empty hexes. This allows me to pull back to the second line without leaving a defensive position for the Allies to occupy.

Not much change to the jump map, still focusing on building a consistent defensive line.

That's a nice idea. I guess it works when fighting in Field terrain as your units should be able to pull back 2 hexes in one go? Elevations and low quality might screw this up? In Bocage the movement cost won't allow this but then Bocage gives you -50 protection.  

I checked and was surprised to find that even Field gives -25 protection. Forest is -35 and Orchard is -30. That hopefully keeps casualties down when using the Alt fire rules. Yes the allies cannot stay too long stacked in Clear terrain.

I use Jisons mod as well for Bulge. Makes it a bit easier to look at all those wood/forest hexes and towns jump out a bit more. Unfortunately it takes awhile to get used to Fields and Bocage being quite similar in Normandy 44.

RE: Normandy '44 AAR - CountryBoy - 12-17-2020

(12-17-2020, 07:57 AM)Plain Ian Wrote: That's a nice idea. I guess it works when fighting in Field terrain as your units should be able to pull back 2 hexes in one go? Elevations and low quality might screw this up? In Bocage the movement cost won't allow this but then Bocage gives you -50 protection.  

I checked and was surprised to find that even Field gives -25 protection. Forest is -35 and Orchard is -30. That hopefully keeps casualties down when using the Alt fire rules. Yes the allies cannot stay too long stacked in Clear terrain.

I use Jisons mod as well for Bulge. Makes it a bit easier to look at all those wood/forest hexes and towns jump out a bit more. Unfortunately it takes awhile to get used to Fields and Bocage being quite similar in Normandy 44.

Yes, it works reasonably well in field terrain, allowing units to pull back to the new defensive line or even beyond it in some cases. In bocage I don't use the same approach, simply digging in in a line 3 or 4 hexes deep and retreating one hex at a time.

The Allied strategy has basically been to move up to my defensive line and dig in. They then wait for airstrikes and artillery to disrupt my units and then launch an assault. I have found that there is nothing to gain using direct fire with my units - they invariably get disrupted by the artillery strikes that firing attracts. So it has become a strange game where there is almost no direct fire, except when units move into contact with each other.

RE: Normandy '44 AAR - ComradeP - 12-17-2020

Nice AAR thus far!

Those optional rules should be challenging to play with.

The Allied air forces are only limited by the air strike limit (if there is one) and the air unit availability percentage, but not by weather.

The various alt rules make it difficult to form stacks to defend, even if you would have the men to do so. As soon as more of your forces arrive, I'd expect the scenario to turn into a bloodbath.

No delayed disruption reporting also hurts, as a player can immediately assault after noticing units became Disrupted from (in)direct fire or air strikes.

The lack of artillery setup should be an advantage for the Allies, though I'd expect the percentage is generally pretty high to begin with.

The lack of supply helps both sides defend difficult terrain where supply would normally be limited. Having the same supply level all over the map feels a bit odd.

I also like to put a non-fortified hex between lines, ideally placing the attacker in a position where it is in a Clear hex.

What are the Improved/Trench values in this scenario?

RE: Normandy '44 AAR - CountryBoy - 12-17-2020

(12-17-2020, 08:57 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Nice AAR thus far!

Those optional rules should be challenging to play with.

The Allied air forces are only limited by the air strike limit (if there is one) and the air unit availability percentage, but not by weather.

The various alt rules make it difficult to form stacks to defend, even if you would have the men to do so. As soon as more of your forces arrive, I'd expect the scenario to turn into a bloodbath.

No delayed disruption reporting also hurts, as a player can immediately assault after noticing units became Disrupted from (in)direct fire or air strikes.

The lack of artillery setup should be an advantage for the Allies, though I'd expect the percentage is generally pretty high to begin with.

The lack of supply helps both sides defend difficult terrain where supply would normally be limited. Having the same supply level all over the map feels a bit odd.

I also like to put a non-fortified hex between lines, ideally placing the attacker in a position where it is in a Clear hex.

What are the Improved/Trench values in this scenario?

The Allies airpower is intense. I have seen as many as 30% of a unit destroyed through a single interdiction attack. Plus the Allied naval guns are devastating. Almost no unit can remain undisrupted after being hit by naval gunfire.

Perhaps some of the optional rules are not ideal, but I would be a liar if I understood the impact that most of the optional rules have on gameplay. It sometimes seems to me that the 'wrong' optional rule can render a scenario almost unplayable, which is a shame.

This is the PDT file:

Time Parameters:
Day: 6:00 Night: 22:00
Day turn: 2 hours Night turn: 4 hours
Has Dawn and Dusk Turns: No

Stacking Limits:
Road: 400 men Maximum: 1600 men

Miscellaneous:
Foot Speed: 4 km/hr Infantry Defense: 16
Digging-In: 10% per turn Bunker Prob: 0% per turn
Mine Prob: 5% per turn Fatigue Recovery: 10 Night Move Disruption: 0%
Allied Air Availability: 20% Axis Air Availability: 20%