• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

I went Gold! (and boy am I sorry!)
10-22-2020, 03:42 AM,
RE: I went Gold! (and boy am I sorry!)
(10-22-2020, 03:34 AM)Deturk Wrote: I don't care for the NEW Maps either.  So I just copy the old maps from the Disks of the old games.  I still have the Gold with just a better looking Map.    Wink

The best map ever was B 44. I need to figure out how to get the terrain over to F 40. First World War Campaigns have GREAT maps. I can't understand why map art isn't important to some people; it's what we look at all the time.   Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
10-22-2020, 07:08 AM,
(10-22-2020, 01:08 AM)Green Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 09:13 PM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: Thanks Green. I play mostly First World War Campaigns. I just like the old maps and artwork. I don't understand how anyone likes the new maps; they are all the same. Anyway could you send me Bulge 44, Minsk 44, Moscow 41 and France 40? I really appreciate your help. jonny Rolling Eyes

Here is a link. Any problems, let me know.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing
Thank you!! Propeller Hat
10-22-2020, 08:22 AM,
(10-22-2020, 03:34 AM)Deturk Wrote: I don't care for the NEW Maps either.  So I just copy the old maps from the Disks of the old games.  I still have the Gold with just a better looking Map.    Wink

For what it's worth -check to see if that works in all situations. I am pretty sure that I recall a thread where the map files were changed around some (in Smolensk '41 - maybe a few other titles- as the idea was to get them all to link up).

There was one scenario (one of the longer ones I think in Smolensk maybe) where Russians who were behind ( off the top of my head it was the Dnepr- might have been the Dvina [well the one in the north sort of opposite the Dnepr) - were all of a sudden on the west bank with no way to get away -- so the deployment had to be adjusted.

Just taking the maps from older titles - if you have an OOB file like that - may not work.  

For my money - ultimately it ends up finding and integrating a graphic set ( plus where additional features were added -finding graphics that are compatible/consistent with your new choice) and just go with that.  

I mean -for me, I'd have loved it if the powers that be could see that not having banks/shores hexsides like the grand tactical scales leaves for some really hex-y coastlines, and wide rivers/lakes .... sure a hexside graphic is only really a bit of a bandaid but in those instances  -you can apply some effects that maybe make it slightly less so.   Of course to so so - you have to put some water effects directly on those hexside graphics - not just go with a singular colour (like say green - like is done in the Civil War and probably all of the grand tactical series now ...   however I will concede that you will indeed find a network of people that think the new look is the best thing since sliced bread.
Bydand
Send this user an email
10-22-2020, 04:44 PM,
(10-22-2020, 08:22 AM)_72z Wrote:

For what it's worth -check to see if that works in all situations. I am pretty sure that I recall a thread where the map files were changed around some (in Smolensk '41 - maybe a few other titles- as the idea was to get them all to link up).

There was one scenario (one of the longer ones I think in Smolensk maybe) where Russians who were behind ( off the top of my head it was the Dnepr- might have been the Dvina [well the one in the north sort of opposite the Dnepr) - were all of a sudden on the west bank with no way to get away -- so the deployment had to be adjusted.

Just taking the maps from older titles - if you have an OOB file like that - may not work.  

For my money - ultimately it ends up finding and integrating a graphic set ( plus where additional features were added -finding graphics that are compatible/consistent with your new choice) and just go with that.  

I mean -for me, I'd have loved it if the powers that be could see that not having banks/shores hexsides like the grand tactical scales leaves for some really hex-y coastlines, and wide rivers/lakes .... sure a hexside graphic is only really a bit of a bandaid but in those instances  -you can apply some effects that maybe make it slightly less so.   Of course to so so - you have to put some water effects directly on those hexside graphics - not just go with a singular colour (like say green - like is done in the Civil War and probably all of the grand tactical series now ...   however I will concede that you will indeed find a network of people that think the new look is the best thing since sliced bread.

By saying that the new graphics are great, I was reffering to the map graphics that will come with Scheldt title. Current Gold version map - eh, don´t like them that much. I always prefered those Phellipes maps, even over Jison´s graphics. They were much easier to look at without those hexes...

Seconldy, you might have misunderstood Deturks post. He was not referring to the maps themselves, but their graphics. At least I believe so, because copying only the map files from older games´s folder without switching the graphics pictures won´t result in different graphics. Map will still look the same  Helmet Smile
10-22-2020, 11:11 PM,
(10-22-2020, 04:44 PM)Fhil Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 08:22 AM)_72z Wrote:

By saying that the new graphics are great, I was reffering to the map graphics that will come with Scheldt title. Current Gold version map - eh, don´t like them that much. I always prefered those Phellipes maps, even over Jison´s graphics. They were much easier to look at without those hexes...

Seconldy, you might have misunderstood Deturks post. He was not referring to the maps themselves, but their graphics. At least I believe so, because copying only the map files from older games´s folder without switching the graphics pictures won´t result in different graphics. Map will still look the same  Helmet Smile

Thumbs Up
10-23-2020, 01:30 AM,
Yeah, I'll join the list of those who find the "GOLD" map graphics to be.....uhhhh....yeah ugly.  Maybe boring is a better word.  With the old maps the colors were vibrant and even the desert maps you could tell at a glance what terrain was in a hex.  It all kind of melds together on the new maps. Literally hurts my eyes (and don't ask me about the tool bar which has required me to relearn but that's a personal gripe  Wink  ).  I was thus very confused when I installed one of the FWWC titles and found the graphics on the maps to be very much like the old PzC titles. 

Really love the map graphics on the ACW titles though. 

You'd think that since the engine is basically the same in all these products the look and feel of them would all be the same too.
10-23-2020, 07:55 AM,
I would love to see a side by side screenshot to compare the two. I have an old HPS Moscow '41 but no PC with a CD drive to install the game. I enjoy the Gold versions but would be interested in seeing what all the fuss is about....
10-23-2020, 05:29 PM,
I'm always loath to post these kind of shots but it is what it is and people will always have their own opinions and likes and dislikes.

These shots are taken from Kharkov '42.

Originally released graphics (HPS). All images should be able to be viewed full size by right clicking on it.

[Image: Post%2020201023_01.jpg]

Tiller release with raised hex sides using a very early reduced version of Panzer Battles graphics. These were (very) ugly and was the main reason the Gold graphics were introduced.

[Image: Post%2020201023_02.jpg]

These are the Gold graphics that are the current default;

[Image: Post%2020201023_03.jpg]

And these are the hi-res Scheldt graphics that will be in the next updates.

[Image: Post%2020201023_04.jpg]

And as I have said, graphics will polarise a community quicker than you can say boo. We do not plan to change anything from the new hi-res graphics going forward, but there will be 'hexless' versions included as will the superseded Gold version graphics if someone wants to use those. And that's not to stop anyone wanting to use their favourite mod etc, but I think we are done, at least for the summer maps currently.

Thanks, 

David
10-23-2020, 05:55 PM,
Thanks David, didn't mean to put you to so much trouble.

The original HPS map looks headache inducing to me.

As you say, it's all an opinion but I like Gold the most.
10-23-2020, 11:24 PM,
Personally, with the Scheldt era, on the one shown, the fields and buildings need to stand out better like the Gold. It should be no problem to see the difference between wood and stone buildings. Even on maps the military uses today, they immediately see the difference. Take the fields and building from Gold and put the on Scheldt and you get the best yet. But, as always, y'all know how much it takes to do any changes.

Maps have been an interest of mine since the late 60s. I have a lot of experience in Land Surveying. I know it has been some time, but, like everything else, some parts just stay with you.