• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

FWWC N00b Questions
07-06-2020, 05:25 PM,
FWWC N00b Questions
1) Is there a way of predicting the number of MP expended BEFORE a proposed move when FOW is on so there is no redoing?

I know about the max movement range toggle but I'd like to know how many movement points I would spend before going down a particular path so I can calculate if I have enough left for firing afterwards.

2) Isolation is not really defined in the rule book. I am assuming it means surrounding an enemy with unchallenged ZOC.

3) When it takes 1/3 of your allowance to, say, exit travel mode is the fraction rounded up or down ?

Thanks for your time. I am enjoying it so just a few small questions
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2020, 06:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-06-2020, 06:55 PM by ComradeP.)
RE: FWWC N00b Questions
Quote:1) Is there a way of predicting the number of MP expended BEFORE a proposed move when FOW is on so there is no redoing?

I know about the max movement range toggle but I'd like to know how many movement points I would spend before going down a particular path so I can calculate if I have enough left for firing afterwards.

Considering there are a limited number of terrain types, you'll get a feel for it soon enough.

If you check the parameter data dialog, you can find the MP costs for all terrain types per movement type and any modifiers for weather conditions.

Weather condition fractions are rounded down. For example, the Foot movement soft terrain penalty (130%) for a Clear hex (6 MP) would be 7.8, or 7 MP.

Generally speaking, unless you move into a forest or through brush you can move two hexes and fire with C quality and better units. D quality units can only move and fire after moving through/into at most 14 movement cost worth of hexes, so a Clear and Field hex in Serbia '14 for example.

You can always use the Save movement cost toggle if you want to be absolutely sure. You'd generally use that to check where a unit can leave T-mode, but it works for determining what hexes a unit can move to and still fire as well, due to leaving T-mode and firing both having a cost of 1/3 MP's.

Quote:2) Isolation is not really defined in the rule book. I am assuming it means surrounding an enemy with unchallenged ZOC.

A unit becomes Isolated if it can't trace a path to a friendly supply source clear of enemy ZOCs. Hexes with a friendly unit and an enemy ZOC are valid for the supply trace. In practice, it will normally occur when as you say a unit has an unchallenged enemy ZOC surrounding it or, say, a bridge across a river is blocked by the enemy and the unit can't trace supply through another route.

Quote:3) When it takes 1/3 of your allowance to, say, exit travel mode is the fraction rounded up or down ?

Down, just like weather condition fractions. 4 speed (21 MP's) D quality and below units need 7 or more remaining MP's, 4 speed (24/26 MP's) C quality and above 8 or more remaining MP's. B quality units still use 8 MP's.

The same doesn't apply for assaults: B quality units need 17 or more MP's to assault, not 16 which you would expect based on movement and firing costs. You can launch an assault as long as MP's are "green" regardless of how many MP's it would take to enter the terrain you're assaulting into.

Also: first post in 12.5 years I see, welcome to the vocal part of the community! :)
07-06-2020, 06:56 PM,
(07-06-2020, 06:27 PM)ComradeP Wrote:
Quote:1) Is there a way of predicting the number of MP expended BEFORE a proposed move when FOW is on so there is no redoing?

Considering there are a limited number of terrain types, you'll get a feel for it soon enough.

If you check the parameter data dialog, you can find the MP costs for all terrain types per movement type and any modifiers for weather conditions.

Weather condition fractions are rounded down. For example, the Foot movement soft terrain penalty (130%) for a Clear hex (6 MP) would be 7.8, or 7 MP.

Generally speaking, unless you move into a forest or through brush you can move two hexes and fire with C quality and better units. D quality units can only move and fire after moving through/into at most 14 movement cost worth of hexes, so a Clear and Field hex in Serbia '14 for example.

You can always use the Save movement cost toggle if you want to be absolutely sure. You'd generally use that to check where a unit can leave T-mode, but it works for determining what hexes a unit can move to and still fire as well, due to leaving T-mode and firing both having a cost of 1/3 MP's.

Quote:2) Isolation is not really defined in the rule book. I am assuming it means surrounding an enemy with unchallenged ZOC.

A unit becomes Isolated if it can't trace a path to a friendly supply source clear of enemy ZOCs. Hexes with a friendly unit and an enemy ZOC are valid for the supply trace. In practice, it will normally occur when as you say a unit has an unchallenged enemy ZOC surrounding it or, say, a bridge across a river is blocked by the enemy and the unit can't trace supply through another route.

Quote:3) When it takes 1/3 of your allowance to, say, exit travel mode is the fraction rounded up or down ?

Down, just like weather condition fractions. 4 speed (21 MP's) D quality and below units need 7 or more remaining MP's, 4 speed (24/26 MP's) C quality and above 8 or more remaining MP's. B quality units still use 8 MP's.

The same doesn't apply for assaults: B quality units need 17 or more MP's to assault, not 16 which you would expect based on movement and firing costs. You can launch an assault as long as MP's are "green" regardless of how many MP's it would take to enter the terrain you're assaulting into.

Also: first post in 12.5 years I see, welcome to the vocal part of the community! :)
07-06-2020, 06:57 PM,
Well, takes a while for me to really focus on these games !!

Thanks for the advice though.
07-06-2020, 08:28 PM,
As a reminder you can MOD the sidebar with the values from the PDT file.

I got the idea from Mowglis last video and think for longer scenarios this is worth the effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RWxYZuk...fG&index=8
"Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu." - PzGrenB.13 Ried/Innkreis
07-07-2020, 12:59 AM,
(07-06-2020, 06:27 PM)ComradeP Wrote:

07-07-2020, 01:01 AM,
Is there a combat log available where you can see all the results of a battle ?
07-07-2020, 01:09 AM,
Quote:Is there a combat log available where you can see all the results of a battle ?

No, the on-map or dialog results are the only ways to display combat results.

See this recent thread:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=73450
07-07-2020, 07:15 AM,
I like what he has done with the sidebar, but how do you do it? Does he explain in the video? (didn't want to spend 30 minutes watching it if it wasn't mentioned). Thanks.
07-07-2020, 09:04 AM,
(07-07-2020, 07:15 AM)CountryBoy Wrote: I like what he has done with the sidebar, but how do you do it? Does he explain in the video? (didn't want to spend 30 minutes watching it if it wasn't mentioned). Thanks.

Easy.
In your game-folder, there's a sub-folder called 'Info'.
There you'll find two files called BlankboxH.bmp and BlankboxV.bmp (for horizontal and vertical boxes respectively).
Simply a matter of using whatever image-program you're comfortable with to add the needed info, and you're golden.