• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Combat Results Statistics?
05-11-2020, 08:46 AM,
c_Question Mark  Combat Results Statistics?
Is there a way to log or display the combat results statistics of the individual unit engagements per turn?

This would be a really useful feature to see how the combat calculations are applied and develop tactics accordingly.

Thanks for your feedback!  Helmet Smile
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2020, 01:27 PM,
RE: Combat Results Statistics?
Turn off on map results and you will get a bit more info, although still limited if playing with FoW. But give it a try and see if it helps.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
05-12-2020, 01:02 AM,
So basically there is no way to log combat results in a tabular way or export as a csv file?

Or maybe there is a mod that would add that functionality?
05-12-2020, 04:26 AM,
None I am aware of, and definitely not if playing encrypted. If unencrypted, replay results are accessible for a PBEM game, but nobody has ever captured and parsed it that I am aware of. If playing direct, there is nothing to pull from that I know of.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
05-18-2020, 04:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2020, 04:57 AM by WargameGeneral.)
The map results are really limited.

It would be great to have a way to display the combat calculations that the engine is performing.

The data is there. It's just the question how to pull and visualize it...  Helmet Rolleyes
05-18-2020, 06:49 AM,
Well, most guys (me including) would tell you that it´d be a waste of time to dig through the numbers. Although it might shed some light here and there, the only thing you need to develop tactics is experience. After a while you´re going to ´feel´ when it is good to assault, to withdraw, to bring up reserves, leave the trenches or reinforce them, include your tanks in the assault or leave it to the infantry and then exploit with tanks, if you have enough superiority, if it´s good to risk an assault or there is one more turn of your firepower needed and all this stuff..
Maybe that´s why not many responded, you´re not the first one with this topic if I recall correctly Big Grin
05-19-2020, 01:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2020, 01:09 AM by WargameGeneral.)
I think that calls for a mod to display detailed combat results in an additional window and log them optionally in a separate csv file for export into Excel...  Helmet Smile
05-19-2020, 04:13 AM,
(05-18-2020, 06:49 AM)Fhil Wrote: Well, most guys (me including) would tell you that it´d be a waste of time to dig through the numbers. Although it might shed some light here and there, the only thing you need to develop tactics is experience. After a while you´re going to ´feel´ when it is good to assault, to withdraw, to bring up reserves, leave the trenches or reinforce them, include your tanks in the assault or leave it to the infantry and then exploit with tanks, if you have enough superiority, if it´s good to risk an assault or there is one more turn of your firepower needed and all this stuff..
Maybe that´s why not many responded, you´re not the first one with this topic if I recall correctly Big Grin

Could not put it better myself, the game is all about the "feel" you get from playing, once you have tried a 100 assaults with different units of different strengths/weaknesses you so learn what works and what does not!  Whistle 

Even then the odd result will leave you scratching your head...………….. Big Grin
05-19-2020, 04:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2020, 04:30 AM by Mowgli.)
(05-19-2020, 04:13 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 06:49 AM)Fhil Wrote: Well, most guys (me including) would tell you that it´d be a waste of time to dig through the numbers. Although it might shed some light here and there, the only thing you need to develop tactics is experience. After a while you´re going to ´feel´ when it is good to assault, to withdraw, to bring up reserves, leave the trenches or reinforce them, include your tanks in the assault or leave it to the infantry and then exploit with tanks, if you have enough superiority, if it´s good to risk an assault or there is one more turn of your firepower needed and all this stuff..

Could not put it better myself, the game is all about the "feel" you get from playing, once you have tried a 100 assaults with different units of different strengths/weaknesses you so learn what works and what does not!  Whistle 

Even then the odd result will leave you scratching your head...………….. Big Grin

But if a player wants to learn the game by learning the rules, rather than playing hundreds of games, what's wrong with that? Praxis always trumps theory. But a bit of theory can also help. :)

That being said, the manual is really quite good and if you turn onmap-results off, you can get a pretty good idea about the odds in fire and assault combat. It's just that the calculations are quite complicated and certainly not something that you want to do on a regular basis while playing the game. But for learning and getting a base understanding, I think taking a look at the numbers is a valid approach. And it's not as if you get some unfair advantage or gain insight into some super secret stuff. There is still plenty of randomness (high/low thresholds) so that "number crunchers" are not rewarded over players who prefer a more casual/feeling/experience approach to the game.
05-19-2020, 05:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2020, 05:13 AM by WargameGeneral.)
I think there is nothing wrong with a bit of number crunching considering the simulation aspect the games are claiming. But everyone has their own approach to the game and that's fine...  Helmet Smile

Most wargames nowadays have a combat results statistics and it should not be too difficult to implement that and develop the product further.