• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Turn or phase play?
05-10-2020, 09:03 PM,
Turn or phase play?
Hi, just trying to get into the ACW games, so I wondered if I should be playing in turns or phases? Ideally I want to play via PBEM eventually so I wanted to start out the right way. Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2020, 11:24 PM,
RE: Turn or phase play?
(05-10-2020, 09:03 PM)CountryBoy Wrote: Hi, just trying to get into the ACW games, so I wondered if I should be playing in turns or phases? Ideally I want to play via PBEM eventually so I wanted to start out the right way. Thanks.

It depends on your personal tastes, there is no Right Way.  Both methods have good and bad points.  Both allow the AI to handle defensive fire so a turn only takes one email.  There are people who only play one way or the other and then there are those who play both.
A few comments, all are just MHO, I have been playing since Corinth came out in 2001.

Turn Mode -
Pros -
The ability for infantry to change formation at any time during their move as long as they have enough MP left.         
Allows for Opportunity Fire at approaching enemy units.
Has Optional Rules for Full Defensive Fire before Melee, Separate Melee Phase to prevent non historical Blitzkrieg attacks.
Cons -
Opportunity Fire is spotty, IMO lower class units fire less often providing a big edge to CSA player.
Opportunity Fie is at half strength, supposedly since units may fire more than once, see above.
Gamey tactics easily used to punch hole in line for WWII style attacks that weren't possible in the era unless Optional Rules used.
All the above make the Attack the better option for Turn Play in most cases.

Phase Mode
Pros
Similar to older Battleground system if you played those games, difference is casualties are individual men.
Full Defensive Fire, better chance to Disrupt an attack even though AI often makes poor target choices.  
No Blitz attacks, no movement after Fire or Melee.
Cons
Infantry can only change formation at the START of their move, once they use 1 MP they cannot change.
Small units can hold up an attack for a turn.
Units can advance and may find terrain that hides them before Fire Phase, preventing being fired at.
05-11-2020, 01:25 AM,
I play with both and enjoy either. In a PBEM, I usually suggest phases, using the trick that makes them play like turns. I suggest this to try and keep the WW2/Modern style gamey stuff down. If my opponent doesn't want to try it, I'll agree to turns. The important thing is to agree on rules and have some fun.

If you're interested, here's a link to a thread where I forgot how to set up a PBEM for phases (really!), and got some help. It works just fine. https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=72378

With Covid out there I really should look to start a PBEM or 2, and maybe tinker with some scenarios I was designing.
"If you want to know a man's true character, give him some power." - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
05-11-2020, 06:22 AM,
Thanks for the feedback guys. It sounds like phases is the way to go, but with changes to ensure no blitzkreig-ing.
05-15-2020, 09:36 AM,
I prefer turns. With phases your opponent can march across open terrain without a shot being fired and end in terrain you can't see them and you get no shot at all. There is an optional rule that prevents the blitzkrieg attacks. I think defensive fire is halved no matter how you play. There is an optional rule that's allows full defensive fire before melees which I recommend using.
05-16-2020, 08:12 AM,
I tried a couple of scenarios vs the AI using phase play and I did notice that it seemed like you could do exactly what you described. I think I prefer turn play with the optional rules to stop blitzkrieg-ing.