• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

home or work
03-30-2020, 11:47 AM,
RE: home or work
@Old Bones   if 80% are not working where does the government get the money to pay everyone. Debt must be on the rise or the y are just printing money. In any case worrisome situation economically for all.
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2020, 05:20 PM,
Yes I am wondering the same thing, over here we pay taxes and we pay national insurance and we pay tax on nearly every thing we buy.
We have the National health service NHS which is free to British citizens, good example, I have just had a load of tests, MRI scan and biopsies done over the last couple of months. None of that cost me anything. But I have paid national insurance and taxes for 45 years. We do have private health care if you want to pay, which only means you will get seen faster.
The only thing we pay for is meds, but that about £20 or less, no matter what the med is.
The government said for the NHS, no matter what they need or no matter how much it costs we the government will give it to them.

We were told not to go to work unless your a key worker, and the government will pay 80% of your wages till we can get back to work.

Where will they get the money, I don't know.
They are passing laws, making it against the law to evict any one who cant pay rent.
All homeless people or rough sleepers are being taken in and given shelter.
For disadvantaged people, there are food banks where they can get food, it is not a help your self situation its controlled, and you get a fair share.

Small business owners will receive grants to pay workers while the crisis goes on.

A call went out for volunteers to help the NHS, with in about 3 days they had 5000,000 people step up to the plate. (to me that's amazing)

Retired police and medical personal are returning to help with cause.
All we have to do if follow the guide lines set out for us to help slow the spread.

Yes there is political argument about loads of aspects to this situation.
People complain about the Dyson company getting the contract to produce ventilators for the NHS, I don't care who makes them, just get them made.

Will all this set the country back, yes it will, will people lost the fight for their life, yes they will and have.
We can and should do our best.
Quote:Sir Winston Churchill said they were the "Finest Regiment in the world" The Gordon Highlanders ,
03-30-2020, 10:03 PM,
I am working at a school and we have been told we will get paid and keep all benefits which is nice. The teachers go in on Mon, Wed, and Friday. My helper and i go in on Tue and Thur to fully clean and sanitize the building. School is closed to the public. At 71 years of age I prefer to work when building is empty. I have enough life insurance so wife won't have to grab the first man that comes along. I am fortunate to live in a rural sparsely populated county  and there are currently no REPORTED cases in the county. There will soon be a large influx of returning people that have wintered in Florida etc and another group of folks coming that have summer places here so, I reckon it is just a matter of time.

Anyway we will endevour to persevere. Try to stay safe everybody.

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
03-30-2020, 10:41 PM,
(03-30-2020, 11:40 AM)Big Ivan Wrote: So if anyone on this forum wants to whine, go talk to the power pole out at the road!

Time to suck it up and stop your complaining!! 

Stand up Americans! 

Deal with it boys and girls!

John

Who you talking to John?
I did not see anyone complaining. Thank you 3

Farmer

HSL
04-05-2020, 01:29 AM,
(03-30-2020, 09:35 AM)Scud Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 08:38 AM)Oldbones Wrote: It looks like in your country is not easy when it comes to health care or government assistance, here its NHS and we are supposed to be getting 80% of our income paid to us by the government until we get back to work.
Stay at home is the instruction from the government, Only go out to shop for food and medicine and you can go out to exercise once a day, stay away from others and. If your a key worker you can go to work, but do not do any non essential  trips , no visits to friends or family.

Social services in the US, including affordable healthcare, is an ongoing political issue here and will be long after the current crisis ends. The government has passed several relief bills, including the most recent $2 trillion one, which will give every citizen making under $75,000 a year $1200 each, with an extra $500 if you have a kid. For me, retired, free money, but for most that's not much, especially if you lose your job or have no job to return to. It slopes off for workers making up to ~$95,000, with nothing for anyone making more. I think testing is now free, but if you have it and need hospitalization it's going to cost whatever your co-pay is. If you have no insurance and go to the hospital, they can't turn you away if it's life and death. In which case, everyone pays through the high cost of insurance premiums. Retirees have Medicare, but it's limited. I supplement mine (most do) and my wife's for around $10,000 a year. My heart goes out to people who don't have the means.

Oregon is now at 548 cases. My county only 13, with 1 death. Oregon's population is a little over 4 million and is the 9th largest state. By contrast, the island of Manhattan, is 1.6 million, with the entire city, all 5 boroughs, ~8 million. Still, Oregon is on lockdown.

Scary times.

Stay safe,

Dave
Stay Safe, Dave!
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
04-05-2020, 01:32 AM,
(03-30-2020, 09:29 AM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 05:29 AM)RedDevil Wrote: You ain't kidding, Ed!  Be safe up there my friend!  If we get thru this mess, perhaps we'll grab a dinner at Busters again :)

My friend. I hope that good memory can be followed by many more good memories.

Farmer

HSL
Ours, and many others!.. Lets kick this shittyfeckingbat bug!
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
04-05-2020, 01:34 AM,
(03-23-2020, 09:18 PM)Big Ivan Wrote: I've been retired since July 2019. So I have been holed up mostly at home except for that occasional run to get provisions. The city of Ontario where I live west of Mansfield has been pretty quiet. 

The State of Ohio goes on "official" lock down/shelter in place at 11:59 PM today 3/23/20. Ohio has been taking steps all along over the past 3 weeks to try and close this thing down. Governor DeWine has been very proactive in getting things shut down and people separated. I use to work as a Quality Manager in a steel mill. But glad I'm done with that. Don't know if the steel business is considered essential for the short term. I assume for a long term it is. Just glad I don't have to work.

Ohio is at 351 cases or so as of yesterday. The age range is 1 to 92 with a median age of 51. There have been 3 deaths as of yesterday. The hot spot is Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) with 125 cases. But Franklin County (Columbus) and Hamilton County (Cincinnati) are into the double digits in cases. Ohio is the 7th most populous state in the Union with 11.7 million residents and I don't believe we have seen our peak yet. Crazy times for sure!

Stay in touch my friends and good luck to all of you!! Wink

John

Be safe there Big John!,  Love to buy you a beer, or 3, or 6, or.. in Gettysburg one day.
Dev
04-05-2020, 01:37 AM,
(03-23-2020, 05:52 AM)zap Wrote: Funny i retired took up What was supposed to be a "part Time" job. Just to stay busy. Turns out I'm working avg. 50 hours weekly.  Also this work is considered essential. Transporting train crews back and forth to their trains. So we,re are in close contact. Have to keep the toilet paper moving. That age group thing worries me.

Hope to have a Visit from you, Phil.. or at least a drive from my end, to your neck of the woods soon enuf..
 Don't let them breathe on you, Bro.
Dev
04-05-2020, 01:46 AM,
(03-30-2020, 11:40 AM)Big Ivan Wrote: All scary stuff indeed!

Hospital care, being infected, survivability, cost to my pocket book? I don't give a flying fart! I busted my fanny for 37 years in the steel business. If there is anyone out there that thinks its easy working to make steel in a mill then call me. I will definitely set you strait! It is freaking dangerous!! In the time I have been in the mills, 5 people have died and countless injured. I came close once during an Electric Arc Furnace explosion. I remember that day like it was yesterday 28 years ago!

I figure I have lived a good life, tried to treat people like I want to be treated and always tried to find a happy median. At 65 I figure I am closer to my death than my birth because I doubt with the cigs, beer and bourbon intake I'll make 130 years, simple math. So there ya have it! It is what it is, right?

I have no children only a beautiful wife who I tried to make sure that she has enough money to survive without me.

Unfortunately that's more than my father could do with my mom, my brother and me before he passed when I was 10 months old in 1955.

So if anyone on this forum wants to whine, go talk to the power pole out at the road!

Time to suck it up and stop your complaining!! 

Stand up Americans! 

Deal with it boys and girls!

John

Respect! John.  Some of us are there .. right beside you, different profession, just as dangerous.. IOHO...   A little more worry on my end, with a couple kids, working in grocery, wife working there too.. Life is, as we live it, and this daily BS "China buggery" keeping us on our toes, is worse than any Storm 555 we played..  keep your ammo dry, my friend.
Dev
04-05-2020, 01:49 AM,
(03-30-2020, 10:03 PM)Von Earlmann Wrote: I am working at a school and we have been told we will get paid and keep all benefits which is nice. The teachers go in on Mon, Wed, and Friday. My helper and i go in on Tue and Thur to fully clean and sanitize the building. School is closed to the public. At 71 years of age I prefer to work when building is empty. I have enough life insurance so wife won't have to grab the first man that comes along. I am fortunate to live in a rural sparsely populated county  and there are currently no REPORTED cases in the county. There will soon be a large influx of returning people that have wintered in Florida etc and another group of folks coming that have summer places here so, I reckon it is just a matter of time.

Anyway we will endevour to persevere. Try to stay safe everybody.

VE
EarL, My friend.. stay safe bro.. you owe me a fecking lobster!   Jester Jester Jester Jester

Dev