• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tournament?
12-08-2019, 11:06 PM,
RE: Tournament?
(12-08-2019, 02:38 PM)Big Ivan Wrote: Sorry no mirrors for me.

BI. I only chose mirror because the scenario selected might be a one sided affair.
If the scenarios chosen are relatively balanced I have no problem not doing mirrored play.

It would also speed up the tourney if we did not mirror. That, I understand.

Farmer

HSL
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2019, 11:55 PM,
I might be up for it, if the scenario's aren't huge? Also have to upgrade to windows 10 from 7 in January, not sure what I am in for with that either...
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
12-09-2019, 12:15 AM,
Dave - count me in!

No mirror matches - takes too long.
Players have to be committed
Why not all three fonts - EF-WF-RS - that would be great!
What are the options we play with? Do we leave that up to the players?
What about ROEs? Again leave up to the players?

I remember the days when Von Neimack and Rico would run these tourney's and they would build some damn good scenarios for it as well! Man those really were the golden days!  Where are those guys? Come back - we need you!

Steve
12-09-2019, 01:01 AM,
Hi Steve, good to hear from you and thanks for jumping in!

Neimack like dropped off the face of the earth. I can find nothing on him anymore! Sometimes I see Rico over at Matrix on the Tigers on the Hunt forum. In fact we just exchanged pleasantries just a couple of days ago. Sorry though that that game system Tigers on the Hunt is kind of dead. Shame too its not ASL but its damn close! Rico did a bunch of scenarios for Tigers on the Hunt but I think his interest has taken him somewhere else in the gaming world.

Ed: I hear ya and you bring a valid point to the table about balance and playability. I understand some scenarios are worthless for balance. We need to be careful with our choices in that respect.

Mike: Good luck with the Win10 transition! I had no choice back in June when my HD crashed. But now that I'm with Win10 and have a solid state HD this 8 year old laptop kicks ass in speed. Win10 is not bad once you get use to it. Its pretty stable. I think the newer versions of Win10 are better than the older. I have the newer one which is to be replace with an updated version in 12/2020. BTW thanks for the SB Red Victory game, it was fun and I learned a lot my friend!!

ROE: Hmmm that can be a slippery slope! Each player has his preferences and gripes. For the sakes of all our sanities I really do not want to bring up the dreaded "Halftrack" thingy or dare I say the "Truck surround" thingy. ROE's is a good point though and we all should set and agree to some general rules up front.
As for optional rules I say stick with what the individual scenario calls for. I know a lot of the older scenarios don't have EA, which I love to play with, but that's the chance you take I guess. We all know and accept (at least I think we do) that VV doesn't work so suggest we stay away from that.

As for time period and location my choice is Europe 43-45. I love the latter part of the war in general. One of the reasons I say that is M5 Stuarts are neat to look at but in combat give me an "Easy Eight" Sherman any day of the week. Also Tigers and Panthers are a more pleasing to the eye than Panzer I's. 

RS is a cool game but don't get me wrong its a different war compared to Europe. We all know that. A lot different in its approach. But maybe as a change of pace one or two scenarios could be discussed/included in this tourney. 

Remember though a while back we had the World in Flames tourney where we played the whole war Axis vs Allies. IMHO that was an interesting tourney. As one of the Allied guys I remember bouncing around in that one. I even had the Chinese in one scenario which was kind of different! I also was in Africa and Stalingrad back to back...wow!

Regards all for now,
John
12-09-2019, 01:04 AM,
I am up for it....

How about dividing participants into groups of 3-5 players. In each group everyone would play against all players-> 2-4 games each depending on the group size. If some players have larger bandwidth they could be playing more games at the time.

We could select 5-10 scenarios for that stage and players could agree between each other which they want to play..

depending on number of players, we could have 1-2 players progress to the next stages?

Just a bit different idea for the format :)
12-09-2019, 09:34 AM,
Nice to see some banter on here again, thanks fellahs!!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
12-09-2019, 01:20 PM,
Nine sign-ups so far. I'm trying to get my brother too.  

I think we should stick with all optional rules except EA and VV. If a H2H scenario and it calls for EA, then OK. Other rules by consensus. No exits? No blocks or surrounds by non-combatants? If no consensus, I'll make the rules and they'll have to stand, but it would be nice if we could all agree.

Keep coming up with ideas and I'll reach out to John and Ed at some point for a little help with the mechanics. Chad, the Blitz's fearless leader, also reached out and advised me no mirrors. Slows things down. As a player, I don't like them much anyway. We'll just have to find scenarios that are relatively balanced. Feel free to start suggesting. 

If no objections I'd like to call the tournament "The Boisforas 2020 Tournament" in memory of our old friend.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
12-09-2019, 05:49 PM,
(12-09-2019, 01:20 PM)Scud Wrote: Nine sign-ups so far. I'm trying to get my brother too.  

I think we should stick with all optional rules except EA and VV. If a H2H scenario and it calls for EA, then OK. Other rules by consensus. No exits? No blocks or surrounds by non-combatants? If no consensus, I'll make the rules and they'll have to stand, but it would be nice if we could all agree.

Keep coming up with ideas and I'll reach out to John and Ed at some point for a little help with the mechanics. Chad, the Blitz's fearless leader, also reached out and advised me no mirrors. Slows things down. As a player, I don't like them much anyway. We'll just have to find scenarios that are relatively balanced. Feel free to start suggesting. 

If no objections I'd like to call the tournament "The Boisforas 2020 Tournament" in memory of our old friend.

Dave

Wow Dave that was inspired. What a great idea to honor our Old friend Biosforas.
12-09-2019, 08:27 PM,
(12-09-2019, 05:49 PM)zap Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 01:20 PM)Scud Wrote: Nine sign-ups so far. I'm trying to get my brother too.  

Dave

Wow Dave that was inspired. What a great idea to honor our Old friend Biosforas.

Yes Dave that's a great idea naming this tourney in honor of Eric Bonner (Biosforas)!
12-10-2019, 04:07 AM,
I'm a big proponent of no EA or VV unless specifically designed for it.
We used to be able to sort the scenario data base by balance. Or, at least I remember doing it years ago when I ran a few tourneys.
I, too, miss Ricos tourneys. Though most were played in mirror, mostly due to balance issues. And, yes again, mirrored play should be avoided.

Dave, I tip my hat to you. That will be an inspired title and we all should be humbled to play in the tourney. Eric's love for the game exceeded most average players.

Farmer

HSL