• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tournament?
12-07-2019, 07:24 AM,
Tournament?
Assuming I can come up with a decent format and pull off some simple tournament management skills and you don't mind putting up with a rookie tourny master...

Who'd be up for a tournament? I'm thinking keep it simple, JTCS WF/EF. Maybe RS? No ME, unless all signups play it.

Thoughts or ideas?

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2019, 07:50 AM,
RE: Tournament?
(12-07-2019, 07:24 AM)Scud Wrote: Assuming I can come up with a decent format and pull off some simple tournament management skills and you don't mind putting up with a rookie tourny master...

Who'd be up for a tournament? I'm thinking keep it simple, JTCS WF/EF. Maybe RS? No ME, unless all signups play it.

Thoughts or ideas?

Dave

I would be interested, we are moving home in a few weeks, so my play will be delayed a bit. I cant commit till the move is settled etc.
 But you can count me in, 
Oldbones.
Quote:Sir Winston Churchill said they were the "Finest Regiment in the world" The Gordon Highlanders ,
12-07-2019, 10:14 AM,
Count me in. I don't have ME. And am less interested in RS.   Simple EF WF is good for me.
12-07-2019, 11:44 AM,
Dave,

A WF tourney sounds good to me. I would much rather have CSME but we already had one of those. Besides everyone doesn't own CSME. EFII is at a super saturation point with me so I am shy in suggesting that kind of tourney at the moment. But than again what does the players think who want to play in it.

Another thing, I have never run a tourney but if you need help I am your lieutenant!! Or if your more agreeable your equal so we both go down together....LOL!!

Very willing to help you Dave even though the wife has a busted ankle and I'm running around at 65 years old on overdrive. Her car died too for good after 19 years so that's another chore that needs done. Other gaming pressures too. Finally, dare I say it, the Holidays. Yeah, I think I'm OK...

I suggest a double elimination where even with one loss one gets a chance to go on. After two eliminations, sorry but their gone.

I fancy the latter part of the war on the western front say '43 through '45. I like the evolution of the weapon systems in action. But depending on what the majority votes for, all the periods on the WF are OK by me. Suggest a quick survey to see what players think!

First off I think we should get a tally of interested players after the survey and period of the war on the West Front. Then we can review the scenario data base for balanced playable scenarios with input before we make the list. Suggest we use only proven scenarios based on number of times played first. Later we can sift through that list  based on DB individual scenario opinions. Finally when we come up with a list we push it out to the participants for their opinion. Think if we keep it between 5-8 scenarios that is doable within a suitable time frame.

Finally I have been through enough tourneys where some players drag their fannies for whatever legitimate or non-legitimate reason IMO.  Sorry folks but that's the way it goes sometime, life is life. We need to set strict time limits on playing through scenarios and getting them done. The worst thing that can happen in a tourney is leaving it open ended on time. If you do that it will die for sure. My point is a 15 to 20 turn scenario should not take a year to play. An acceptable playing turn around is typically 2-3 turns per week. Gauge it by that.

Always open for other ideas from anyone. 

Regards all,
John
12-07-2019, 11:50 AM,
(12-07-2019, 11:44 AM)Big Ivan Wrote: Dave,

A WF tourney sounds good to me. I would much rather have CSME but we already had one of those. Besides everyone doesn't own CSME. EFII is at a super saturation point with me so I am shy in suggesting that kind of tourney at the moment. But than again what does the players think who want to play in it.

Another thing, I have never run a tourney but if you need help I am your lieutenant!! Or if your more agreeable your equal so we both go down together....LOL!!

Very willing to help you Dave even though the wife has a busted ankle and I'm running around at 65 years old on overdrive. Her car died too for good after 19 years so that's another chore that needs done. Other gaming pressures too. Finally, dare I say it, the Holidays. Yeah, I think I'm OK...

I suggest a double elimination where even with one loss one gets a chance to go on. After two eliminations, sorry but their gone.

I fancy the latter part of the war on the western front say '43 through '45. I like the evolution of the weapon systems in action. But depending on what the majority votes for, all the periods on the WF are OK by me. Suggest a quick survey to see what players think!

First off I think we should get a tally of interested players after the survey and period of the war on the West Front. Then we can review the scenario data base for balanced playable scenarios with input before we make the list. Suggest we use only proven scenarios based on number of times played first. Later we can sift through that list  based on DB individual scenario opinions. Finally when we come up with a list we push it out to the participants for their opinion. Think if we keep it between 5-8 scenarios that is doable within a suitable time frame.

Finally I have been through enough tourneys where some players drag their fannies for whatever legitimate or non-legitimate reason IMO.  Sorry folks but that's the way it goes sometime, life is life. We need to set strict time limits on playing through scenarios and getting them done. The worst thing that can happen in a tourney is leaving it open ended on time. If you do that it will die for sure. My point is a 15 to 20 turn scenario should not take a year to play. An acceptable playing turn around is typically 2-3 turns per week. Gauge it by that.

Always open for other ideas from anyone. 

Regards all,
John

Sorry my bad doesn't have to be West Front. It could be East Front or a combination. Don't think it should be using Rising Sun unless we stick strictly to the Pacific War. Two entirely different wars and how they were fought.
12-08-2019, 01:15 AM,
I'm in.
12-08-2019, 08:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-11-2020, 07:15 AM by Scud.)
So far:

1. Scud (long as no one minds my participating in my own tourny  Smile )
2. Oldbones
3. Zap
4. Big Ivan
5. Kernel t
6. Herr Straße Laufer
7. Warhorse
8. Tiger 88
9. PawelM
10. Nort
11. Dawags
12. Outlaw Josey Wales
13. Dan Caviness
14. Cam
15. Juan Manuel
16. Infantrysoldier223
17. Fritzfarlig
18. Panzerjaeger
19. Deutscher Landser
20. Ed
21. itlnprd
22. Ashcloud

23. John Given
24. Hawk Kriegsman
25. mark_vanroosendaal
26. Oberst
27. Maus Man
28. Scaz
29. Aces8
30. Ade670
31. Quijote Libre
32. Von Luck

Double elimination, WF/EF. I think we should start first or second week of January? That gets the holidays and traveling etc. out of the way? I plan to chose the most oft played scenarios that are most evenly balanced, highly rated and that most of use are familiar with. If agreed, no mirror games? Or would you prefer two mirrored games per opponent. My concern with mirrors is it makes for a longer tourny and possible dropouts, but I'm good either way.

Further suggestions? Name of the tourney? I'll design medals for participants and winners.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
12-08-2019, 08:35 AM,
NAME= suggestion, maybe call it Purple Heart Tourney?

Mirror= It does not matter to me but I'm a regular turn return player with lots of free time. I understand your fear of extended time possibly means longer delays delays.

January = good for me, seems a good choice.

Double elimination = good for me since I expect to be defeated first game played Lol
12-08-2019, 09:18 AM,
Name = The Latest CS Tourney
Mirrored play = yes
January = Is a new year and a new start
Double Elimination = OK

How about looking into H2H custom scenarios? Or, those that are listed for H2H (though mirrored play eliminates the need, it is often better that the scenarios are relatively balanced for enjoyment).

I don't mind EF/WF/RS.
I don't own ME. Though if you want to use it I can take the two losses (just make them later in the tourney) Jester

BTW, I'm in if you want a beat up old horse. Horse2

I've run plenty of tourneys. I just don't have the desire or more importantly the time. Waiting

John was right too. Players need to not drag their feet. Others then get disinterested and the whole tournament drags on.

If you need help or pointers please feel free to send me an e-mail?

Farmer

HSL
12-08-2019, 02:38 PM,
Sorry no mirrors for me.