• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Missing original graphics in Eagles Strike update?
01-21-2020, 09:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-21-2020, 10:16 AM by Wolfgang.)
RE: Missing original graphics in Eagles Strike update?
A technical question here regarding the game mechanics with regard to the .DAT files.

(I'd like to preface this by saying that I am a Software and Systems Engineer and Consultant, and I focus primarily on data: migrations, transformations and security. I'm used to dealing with millions of records in large databases.)

Let's use the AotR Vehicle.DAT file for the purposes of my query.

In warhorse's post, he remarks that the game engine identifies which entry in the .dat file to use by an integer, in our case it's labeled as "Picture".

Let's say the game is making a call to the Vehicle.DAT file because an SdKfz 250/3 has just fired its MG-34.

In the original AotR, the Picture# for that vehicle is listed as "100"

When I look at the original Vehicle.DAT file for that, I see 4 entries for Picture # 100

(The Data file is sorted Alphabetically by Name from A-Z and each entry has a different set of weapons systems associated with it):

From the original AotR Vehicle.DAT file, in the original order that they are found are these entries:

Name                Picture       Weapons
SdKfz 250/1,   100             (MG-34)
SdKfz 250/10, 100             (PaK-35),(MG-34)
SdKfz 250/3,   100             (MG-34),(FuG Radio)
SdKfz 250/7,   100             (GrW-34),(MG-34)

How does the game know which of the 4 records to reference?

1) It looks up Picture # (100) first, and then looks for the first weapon system matching what was just fired - in our case, the MG-34. The first record of Picture 100 having an MG-34 is actually the SdKfz/1 entry. So the engine would in effect us the SdKfz/1's entry to resolve the fire.

2) The needed entry could also be referenced first by Picture# and then Name, and then lastly locates the weapon system used.

3) Or the game may just bypass the Vehicle.DAT file to resolve the MG-34 fire by going right to the Weapons.DAT file (with the Vehicle.DAT file only being used so that the game can tell which Weapons to display on that vehicle when the battle is initially setup for play).

* Upon further reflection, I think #3 is the most likely candidate.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Original Eagles Strike Graphics - by Compass Rose - 01-05-2020, 04:40 AM
RE: Missing original graphics in Eagles Strike update? - by Wolfgang - 01-21-2020, 09:09 AM