• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New HPS release 1 Aug 2019 -Marching Eagles - a Paul Bruffell design
08-19-2019, 05:44 AM,
RE: New HPS release 1 Aug 2019 -Marching Eagles - a Paul Bruffell design
(08-18-2019, 08:29 PM)RealAndSimulatedWars Wrote: Hello,
I recently posted a video showcasing the gameplay of this wargame. Please check it out at my YouTube channel:
https://youtu.be/3rbDKM1DRgA

Cheers,

JC

Thank you for constructing a video explanation of the game mechanics. In many points you are correct but I want to help clarify a few points for all those who watch your video -

1 - You can download a patch from the HPS web site that removes a few bugs you may have encountered.

2 - You are right in saying a lot is happening under the hood. You can see a lot more about the combat resolution if you go to the menu option - 'Display - Show Battle Losses' and remove the tick. This will give you a combat dialog box for each area where combat occurs and provides considerably more information. You made reference to the battle losses being shown on the map as due to your choice of Fog of War at the game start. Fog of War does not restrict the players view on combat resolution. You can click between showing on-map losses and a combat dialog box any time you are placing commands before the combat resolution phase starts.

3 - A good description was given on the artillery bombardment. You can also cancel the artillery made by going to the menu option - Turn - Cancel Artillery Barrage.

4 - The most common actions a player would choose are given in the toolbar buttons. So the 'Cavalry Charge' option is given by the toolbar button with a horseman on a black background. Use this to reduce the number of clicks to get the command in play. :)

I also appreciate the suggested improvements as they can be considered for later upgrades. 2 points you made that I noted -
- ' Grey out formation options that are not applicable for the unit selected' - I like this idea and I will see what can be done to bring this about.  
- 'When highlighting areas a unit can move to, shade out those areas where the stack limit is already reached' - This requires a little more thinking about as I do not want to confuse a player into thinking his unit can not move there due to terrain limitations or too many action points.

Thank you,
Paul
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2019, 10:42 PM,
(08-19-2019, 05:44 AM)Titus Wrote:
I recently posted a video showcasing the gameplay of this wargame. Please check it out at my YouTube channel:

Cheers,

JC

Thank you for constructing a video explanation of the game mechanics. In many points you are correct but I want to help clarify a few points for all those who watch your video -

1 - You can download a patch from the HPS web site that removes a few bugs you may have encountered.

2 - You are right in saying a lot is happening under the hood. You can see a lot more about the combat resolution if you go to the menu option - 'Display - Show Battle Losses' and remove the tick. This will give you a combat dialog box for each area where combat occurs and provides considerably more information. You made reference to the battle losses being shown on the map as due to your choice of Fog of War at the game start. Fog of War does not restrict the players view on combat resolution. You can click between showing on-map losses and a combat dialog box any time you are placing commands before the combat resolution phase starts.

3 - A good description was given on the artillery bombardment. You can also cancel the artillery made by going to the menu option - Turn - Cancel Artillery Barrage.

4 - The most common actions a player would choose are given in the toolbar buttons. So the 'Cavalry Charge' option is given by the toolbar button with a horseman on a black background. Use this to reduce the number of clicks to get the command in play. :)

I also appreciate the suggested improvements as they can be considered for later upgrades. 2 points you made that I noted -
- ' Grey out formation options that are not applicable for the unit selected' - I like this idea and I will see what can be done to bring this about.  
- 'When highlighting areas a unit can move to, shade out those areas where the stack limit is already reached' - This requires a little more thinking about as I do not want to confuse a player into thinking his unit can not move there due to terrain limitations or too many action points.

Thank you,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for watching. I've just unticked the thing and now I'm seeing the combat losses. That helps enormously to understand what your best tactical choices are.

Great game. Hopefully I will be able to post some AAR at my website (rswars.com) pretty soon.

Cheers,

JC
08-26-2019, 12:58 PM,

Cheers,

JC

Hey JC, glad you made your way here!

Doug
08-26-2019, 08:59 PM,
(08-26-2019, 12:58 PM)panzerde Wrote:

Cheers,

JC

Hey JC, glad you made your way here!

Doug

Doug! Is always great to see you around.

Cheers,

JC
08-29-2019, 08:58 AM,
Marching Eagles version 1.04 update is now live on the HPS website. Check it out - there are two new scenarios that come with the update.
11-22-2019, 05:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-23-2019, 08:24 PM by Laborde.)
Wow, i think am interested in this one. Hope to get the game soon and then see if i can have a pbem later on...
11-24-2019, 04:46 PM,
(11-22-2019, 05:15 PM)Lancier Wrote: Wow, i think am interested in this one. Hope to get the game soon and then see if i can have a pbem later on...

HPS are due to post an update with several user interface improvements by the end of Nov. I will wait for this to be available to everyone and then I will ask Al king if Marching Eagle can be put on the board ladder. 

Regards,
Paul
11-25-2019, 06:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2019, 02:20 AM by Compass Rose.)
(11-24-2019, 04:46 PM)Titus Wrote:
(11-22-2019, 05:15 PM)Lancier Wrote: Wow, i think am interested in this one. Hope to get the game soon and then see if i can have a pbem later on...

HPS are due to post an update with several user interface improvements by the end of Nov. I will wait for this to be available to everyone and then I will ask Al king if Marching Eagle can be put on the board ladder. 

Regards,
Paul

Great news with the interface... Btw, The Wargaming Club (TWC) added HPS-ME:Waterloo to its games' list. We are looking forward to the new napoleonic titles as well!
12-01-2019, 04:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2019, 04:36 PM by Laborde.)
(11-24-2019, 04:46 PM)Titus Wrote:

Regards,
Paul

@titus, Paul, ME 19 Nov Update v1.05R working for everyone? Not working for me cause... Installed it but it stops before start. Maybe i am doing smth wrong. v1.05R is not in the change list as well?
[Image: ME.png]
12-02-2019, 12:06 PM,
(12-01-2019, 04:15 PM)Lancier Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 04:46 PM)TitusLooking into it. Sorry you are having this problem. I downloaded the link myself to check it was OK and all appeared good. You could try downloaded one more time whilst we are checking at our end. Will get back to you. Wrote:

Regards,
Paul

@titus, Paul, ME 19 Nov Update v1.05R working for everyone? Not working for me cause... Installed it but it stops before start. Maybe i am doing smth wrong. v1.05R is not in the change list as well?
[Image: ME.png]