• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New HPS release 1 Aug 2019 -Marching Eagles - a Paul Bruffell design
08-02-2019, 10:55 PM,
New HPS release 1 Aug 2019 -Marching Eagles - a Paul Bruffell design
https://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/M...terloo.asp

Using an easy-to-grasp, but hard-to-master area based combat system, players command the French, British, Prussian and Allied forces that participated in the battles that culminated in Napoleon's final defeat. 

-I am still going through the documentation; had a word with Paul earlier in the week - wasn't aware that it was an area based combat system, so now I'm intrigued. 

I have to study up on the graphics file structure as well ... I wasn't expecting this one, especially since I never got around to working with Paul's Ancient Warfare series.

[Image: WaterlooTitle%20Screen.jpg]
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2019, 11:31 PM,
RE: New HPS release 1 Aug 2019 -Marching Eagles - a Paul Bruffell design
There’s a lot I’m seeing here I like. I’ve always liked Paul’s games, and he’s clearly using the same engine on this one. But OMG is that dire graphically. Needs your touch badly!

I’ll buy it as soon as I’m back from vacation, but I do wish HPS would spring for some artists.
08-03-2019, 04:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2019, 04:27 AM by O.Schmidt.)
I played with Paul Ancient Warfare series for a long time!
I really liked these games!
I hope that's as good as the other games! I hope I can read the documentation? :)
Greetings to Paul
Greetings, HaPe
08-03-2019, 04:38 AM,
Well done, Paul! Bravo on another nice game series for HPS Simulations! Napoleonics is still very much alive and well! I see that it comes in a CD version too which will please the customers out there that like to hold the product in their hand. Looking forward to downloading the game and firing it up!
08-03-2019, 05:42 AM,
The description doesn't say if it is igo/ugo or simultaneous turns.  I tried the ancient game just because it was a simultaneous move system like many of the early pc games, played the V for Victory games back in the day also the early Kampfgruppe game.  Never really got into the ancient game mostly because I never got into the era.  If it uses a similar system as the ancients game I would be interested in trying it.  Always preferred the simultaneous movement games, much more realistic imo.
08-03-2019, 09:16 AM,
(08-03-2019, 04:22 AM)O.Schmidt Wrote: I played with Paul Ancient Warfare series for a long time!
I really liked these games!
I hope that's as good as the other games! I hope I can read the documentation? :)
Greetings to Paul

I'll see if I can get permission to do that from HPS.  Will let you know what happens.
Send this user an email
08-03-2019, 09:25 AM,
Doug, you of all people know what I got on my plate. :) 

In a general sense there are some challenges -one of which is if I were to go there, I would want to come up with a different look from what I do on the JTS stuff (truth be told I like having different looks in series there where I do mod work ... so I guess that was already 'a thing' anyways.).

In a perfect world I would dive right in, however... prior commitments will stop/delay that.

I think with HPS, they probably rely on their developers, maybe, to source their own artwork - so as a publisher, it isn't something that they have a central pool or anything like that -so in a sense it has to be different than other developers.
Send this user an email
08-03-2019, 10:33 AM,
I sent a note to Paul today suggesting he get someone to do a painted map for it. Referred him to the 1777 Ferraris map website (which I used for maps for the RBR game) for ideas so lets see what happens with that.
08-03-2019, 11:57 AM,
Documentation release written permission received.

http://hist-sdc.com/spotlights/hps_marching_eagles.htm
Send this user an email
08-03-2019, 09:04 PM,
2 questions?
1) What is the scale of the game? 1 field are 500m ??
One game turn is 2 hours??

2) Does the campaign play on a big map?
or are they different small Maps?
Greetings, HaPe