• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Does anybody own War on the Southern Front?
08-17-2019, 07:45 AM,
RE: Does anybody own War on the Southern Front?
(08-17-2019, 01:34 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: It was a real pity this series did not catch on at the club, one big issue was that neither the designer or playtesters were available to provide insights into how the rather unique way combat results were handled and because of the vacuum of information I believe many players became frustrated when the engine threw up results that did not seem to make sense and gave up.

Perhaps with the launch of a new title someone involved in the design of this series might become available to help players new to the system get the best out of it?  Wink

Agree with everything you say here.
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2019, 12:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2019, 12:19 AM by Deturk.)
(08-17-2019, 07:45 AM)Al Wrote:
(08-17-2019, 01:34 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: It was a real pity this series did not catch on at the club, one big issue was that neither the designer or playtesters were available to provide insights into how the rather unique way combat results were handled and because of the vacuum of information I believe many players became frustrated when the engine threw up results that did not seem to make sense and gave up.

Perhaps with the launch of a new title someone involved in the design of this series might become available to help players new to the system get the best out of it?  Wink

From what I have heard, original game files were lost or destroyed years ago, that is why the series ended.
08-18-2019, 01:39 PM,
(08-18-2019, 12:17 AM)Deturk Wrote:
(08-17-2019, 07:45 AM)Al Wrote:

From what I have heard, original game files were lost or destroyed years ago, that is why the series ended.

Nothing has been lost.

There is a definite review of this series and a range of derivatives. It's actually a very good engine and I believe with a few tweaks could be even better.

A bigger issue is keeping across the push to modernise all the Tiller titles vs push out new work. We're in a catch 22 where if we released a new title with the above graphics we would be asked when we were updating the previously released work. There is a lot more work around all of this than just knocking out a single title.

David
08-19-2019, 03:10 AM,
This series has great potential for strategic war gaming. WW1, WW2 and maybe ACW. I hope it's modernized and new games are developed.
08-19-2019, 01:48 PM,
I had some input with this series many years ago. I was involved in some early development of a new title. We needed some new code to enable some extra features that would allow us to build scenario's for some of the bigger and longer campaigns in the East and West. But at that time JT was reluctant to do the coding so I lost interest and left the team. It's gone nowhere since then. It's is a very good system with loads of potential.

I think part of the problem is that it's a totally different timescale and geographic scale to Panzer Campaigns and many of those players rejected it out of hand because of that. I truly hope someone, someday picks up the reins again and brings out either a East Front title or late war West Front, and also include a Campaign game. Interest in the series will then blossom.