• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Does anybody own War on the Southern Front?
07-21-2019, 08:50 PM,
Does anybody own War on the Southern Front?
Not sure if this is in the wrong forum, but I wondered if anybody owned War on the Southern Front, another of John Tiller's games? I'd love to get a little advice if anybody does.
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2019, 05:24 AM,
RE: Does anybody own War on the Southern Front?
I have both TFB and WotSF, bought them when they came out.  Played both games a good bit against the AI and against a couple opponents at the old PzC Club.  Unfortunately when that club closed down there didn't appear to be much  interest in the games. I haven't played them in a long time, 7-8 years I guess as that's about the last time I can find an email from the PzCC.  If you're looking for someone to play I'm willing to load them up again.
07-22-2019, 08:34 AM,
Thanks for getting back to me krmiller. I'm not quite at the PBEM stage just yet, just trying to get my head around the game, but perhaps in the future?

I was hoping to ask someone who played the game whether there was any sort of a battle report? When I initiate combat, there appears to be no information on the outcome of the battle. Sometimes your unit moves forward and the enemy retreats, or there's no movement at all from either side. And that appears to be the whole part of feedback. Or perhaps I'm missing something? I've read the manual but I still can't find anything on a combat report or similar.
07-22-2019, 01:29 PM,
First, these games are a part of the Tiller Operational Campaigns ladder, although there isn't a lot of play of the released games, probably for a few years now.

Regarding combat reports, all there is are the losses displayed, and then the attackers either take the hex, or fail. So very basic data on what happened, although at the strategic level there isn't a lot to report, I guess. After combat, you an review your attacking units and see if they can attack again - sometimes armor type units can keep attacking, especially if they were able to overrun the defenders in the prior attack.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
07-22-2019, 03:35 PM,
Thanks Rick, I see now I am in the wrong forum :-)

I did a search of the forums and found some discussions about the game, which tended to suggest what you've said, that there is little feedback in the way of combat reports. You can see the odds beforehand, but only by turning off FOW, which is a waste.

Still, it's a good little game. In my first scenario I was meant to be pushing the Italians back to Tripoli, but the AI outflanked me, surrounded me and pretty much wiped me out :-) I enjoyed it! Graphics are terrible of course, but I can live with that.
Cheers.
07-23-2019, 12:38 PM,
Glad you are enjoying it. You do get some feedback on the odds with FOW on, but it is general and you can be surprised with heavy losses and failures.

I can move this thread over to PzC if you like, just let me know.

Regards
Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
07-23-2019, 02:27 PM,
Thanks Rick, happy for you to move it across.
08-12-2019, 07:25 AM,
These games or rather the system had so much potential. I would have loved to have seen a Barbarossa game with this system. I actually built a WSF Campaign Game. Haven't touched the game in years though now.
08-12-2019, 09:19 AM,
Actually you are in the right forum. We just do not see as many games played in that series.

I like the series and really hope that eventually a game on the Eastern Front comes out. Its LONG overdue! For me it should have been the first game released as its probably the best fit for the series.
08-12-2019, 09:27 AM,
Last time I enquired about the series they said no one was working in it anymore. I think it's done.

I think the second game in the series should have been on the East or Late West and included a CG. I really think it would have kicked on then and either of those subjects with some new enhanced CG rules it would have gathered a following. Sad really because the series had such great potential to grow in to what was outlined for it when they first released TFB.