• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bug with AI Assaults ? Please Check
06-08-2019, 05:16 AM,
RE: Bug with AI Assaults ? Please Check
OK.

Minsk 44 Gold - Scenario 0623-13 Over the Pronya

I played the scenario as the Soviets and on turn two was able to assault across the river even though there was no bridge. I did this in two locations.

In both the phased and non-phased AI controlled scenarios, the Soviet AI did not launch an attack across the river even though it had units in travel mode at the locations where I was able to assault across the river. Once the German units were broken and no longer in the hex, then, the units did cross the river in travel mode.

So this bug not only applies to bridge hexes, but, to units that can assault across river hexes without the benefit of a bridge.
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2019, 10:09 PM,
Thanks for testing and confirming the bug wildb.
06-18-2019, 08:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-18-2019, 08:22 AM by wiggum.)
Sorry that i have to ask but... Strela are your guys able to fix this Bug or is it something only tiller can fix ? Is He already aware of this Bug ? How big is the Chance that this Bug ever gets fixed ?
It would bei important to know because aus Long as this ist Not fixed, many campaigns and scenarios are basically unplayable (or should i say pointless) against the AI.
07-05-2019, 05:23 AM,
Just so that everyone knows. This Bug has been confirmed by the WDS guys and John Tiller is aware of it. Lets hope for a fix !
07-05-2019, 05:39 AM,
(07-05-2019, 05:23 AM)wiggum Wrote: Just so that everyone knows. This Bug has been confirmed by the WDS guys and John Tiller is aware of it. Lets hope for a fix !

This is great news man !
"Plans are nothing; planning is everything." Dwight D. Eisenhower
07-10-2019, 07:02 PM,
Any news on a fix for this Bug ? Is John Tiller already working on it (maybe someone knows) ?
Currently its keeping me away from PzC (and away from purchasing another title) since its basically pointless to play against the AI in many scenarios (and i play mostly against the AI).
Hope he is already working on it.

Greetings.
07-10-2019, 07:24 PM,
(07-10-2019, 07:02 PM)wiggum Wrote: Any news on a fix for this Bug ? Is John Tiller already working on it (maybe someone knows) ?
Currently its keeping me away from PzC (and away from purchasing another title) since its basically pointless to play against the AI in many scenarios (and i play mostly against the AI).
Hope he is already working on it.

Greetings.

As mentioned, John is aware of it and it is in his queue.

As written to you separately, this will only be rolled out as we do patches for each title. We're not going to magically patch all 22 titles for this single issue, but once we have enough other issues. For all that are wondering, we have halted the release of the patch for Japan '45 to ensure this fix is in it - just in case you're wondering.

I also want to be clear that though the AI may not auto assault across a bridge as discussed, I have found that this is not an absolute showstopper. In the Minsk scenario that was specifically called out in this thread, I tested extensively and I saw the AI manage to infiltrate across rivers using engineers and/or shoot to death the defenders on the bridge. The infiltrators were very happy to assault any defenders when they were on the same side of the river. So I didn't find that AI completely hobbled from this issue.

I also want to mention that it has been said many times that the AI is better on the defence than the attack. To stop playing the series due to this flaw is a pity as you are focusing on what is a pretty rare occurrence; AI attacking across a river to take a bridge.

Anyway, that will be your call, but this fix once available may still take quite a while to make it to your favourite game.

David
07-12-2019, 07:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2019, 07:16 AM by wiggum.)
(07-10-2019, 07:24 PM)Strela Wrote: As written to you separately, this will only be rolled out as we do patches for each title. We're not going to magically patch all 22 titles for this single issue, but once we have enough other issues.

Ok, but lets say, for example, that there are no other issues found in France'40 for over a year. Or only one small other issue with a scenario. When are we going to see a fix ? It should not be this way.
As far as i can tell the core engine used for all games and the core rules are all the same for all titles basically. Most likely, the code change that fixes this problem can easily be ported to all titles once fixed and most likely only a single file needs to be replaced.
So why wait for other issues to be found ?
Lets say it takes a year or two for other issues to pop up (the game is already "Gold" for a reason) for some titles.
Customers would have to wait a unacceptably amount of time for a simple fix while customers of other titles(with more issues) can already enjoy the fixed bug. Sorry for being a demanding customer but i think this needs some clarification. Im involved in a large german wargaming group and was getting people excited for Panzer Campaigns at the same time as i discovered this bug. I already made a youtube tutorial for Panzer Campaigns, im clearly a fan of the series. But i will tell everyone to not buy as long as this bug is not fixed (or will make sure to tell them to only buy the already fixed titles). Sorry, no offense, you are doing great work.
But whats the problem with releasing a hotfix for all titles once this issue has been fixed ? There was a hotfix for example for France'40 (Patch 2.02), so why would that be a problem to do it that way ? I really like the customer support from WDS and John Tiller so that would be what i expected.

(07-10-2019, 07:24 PM)Strela Wrote: I also want to mention that it has been said many times that the AI is better on the defence than the attack.

That might be true but thankfully the AI is able to counterattack, even if on the defense. I discovered the bug while being the attacker and i saw a AI counterattack (that would have been devastating for me) fail because of this bug. So in my opinion it indeed has a very large impact on gameplay (since most scenarios have some rivers and canals).
07-12-2019, 10:41 PM,
As has been noted, David has been able to recreate this issue so it can be resolved. We do not however stop all other activities to issue hot fixes - unless we have a crash bug which renders the program completely inoperable...which almost never happens.

Once it has been resolved - which it's in line behind a couple of other things for other series - we'll get the Japan '45 update out. If there's a specific title that people are having this issue in right now I'll look at issuing a hot fix for that title, but we're not going to issue hot fixes for 22 games. The fix would then be rolled out in the normal patch process.

While we did have a rather long lag time on the Panzer Campaigns series where no updates were released and no new titles, we have multiple games in the works now - so it is not planned to have the huge lag again. We will not set a definitive timeline however as there are many factors that impact things. Not the least of which is that JT is the only full time person, and the only programmer for this, and most of the other series of games.
07-12-2019, 11:12 PM,
(07-12-2019, 10:41 PM)rahamy Wrote: If there's a specific title that people are having this issue in right now I'll look at issuing a hot fix for that title, but we're not going to issue hot fixes for 22 games.

If ran into this issue now multiple times in France'40 (here it is very noticible because there are many rivers and canals) as well as in Tunisia '43. The Demo Mius '43 is also affected as well as East Prussia '14.

But really France '40 with its many rivers and canals seems to be most affected by this bug.

Thanks.