• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bug with AI Assaults ? Please Check
06-05-2019, 02:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-05-2019, 02:59 AM by wiggum.)
Bug with AI Assaults ? Please Check
Hi !

I play with Phases turned on so in the Assault phase, if the AI assaults one of my hex (where my units are) i see the text result "Assault canceled" displayed 5 times in a row. I check the AI stack and it has 5 units in it.

Could it be that the AI is, instead of Assaulting once with all 5 units (and creating overwhelming odds in their favor), could it be that the AI is assaulting with each unit separately ? Could this possibly be a bug ?

I discovered this with France '40 Gold with the latest Patch.

By the way, the AI is trying to attack across a bridge.
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2019, 06:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2019, 02:35 AM by wiggum.)
RE: Bug with AI Assaults ? Please Check
Ok, i did some further testing and it is indeed a BUG. The AI is, at least if you play with Phases but most likely also in regular mode, UNABLE to put its units into TRAVEL MODE, which is necessary to assault across a bridge (or into a bridge hex) !

I just did a test in regular mode (no phases) and put the AI in a perfect position for an assault. The AI could have captured a 100 point objective hex by assaulting a DISRUPTED 50 men unit with 500 men as the attacking force. Problem was only that it had to assault across a heavy bridge (canal hexside). The AI NEVER assaulted (tested it 20 times). With no bridge in place (same map) the AI almost always assaulted and captured a 100 Point Objective during a similar situation elsewhere on the map.

So my current conclusion is that there is a BUG with the AI that makes it unable to assault across or into a Bridge hex (needs to be a hexside it CANT cross without a bridge) because the AI is UNABLE to put its units in TRAVEL MODE for an assault which would be necessary for this type of assault.

It should probably be investigated if this bug is also affecting "Panzer Battles" games.

Oh and yes, the bridge is 100% intact and NOT damaged or destroyed.
06-06-2019, 01:17 PM,
Thanks for the details wiggum. I didn't understand the first post situation, but the second seems very clear.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
06-06-2019, 08:41 PM,
(06-06-2019, 01:17 PM)Ricky B Wrote: Thanks for the details wiggum. I didn't understand the first post situation, but the second seems very clear.

Rick

I hope Strela and WDS or John Tiller can and will fix this since in my opinion it is a game-breaking bug.
06-07-2019, 06:29 AM,
Is there any way to contact John Tiller via email ?
06-07-2019, 09:34 AM,
Wiggum,

We’ve seen this post...

David
06-07-2019, 10:42 AM,
I did the following experiment for Minsk 44 Gold - Scenario 0623-13 Over the Pronya:

Phased Play

By turn 7, the Soviet AI had created two pontoon bridges and armored units were changing to travel mode and moving over the pontoon bridges. In addition, the infantry divisions had units that could change to travel mode and cross the river without the need for bridges.

Non-Phased Play

By turn 4, the Soviet AI had created one pontoon bridge and units were changing to travel mode to cross the pontoon bridge.
06-07-2019, 10:52 AM,
I have seen Japanese units that were broken rout to a bridge hex without using the "entrance" hex to it. It was a full hex bridge. This was noted some time ago during playtesting. Hope it also gets fixed.
06-07-2019, 07:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-07-2019, 10:03 PM by wiggum.)
(06-07-2019, 09:34 AM)Strela Wrote: Wiggum,

We’ve seen this post...

David

Thanks, do you think this will get fixed anytime soon ? It basically breaks gameplay against the AI in many scenarios. Would be awesome If it would get fixed.
06-07-2019, 07:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-07-2019, 10:07 PM by wiggum.)
(06-07-2019, 10:42 AM)wildb Wrote: I did the following experiment for Minsk 44 Gold - Scenario 0623-13 Over the Pronya:

Phased Play

By turn 7, the Soviet AI had created two pontoon bridges and armored units were changing to travel mode and moving over the pontoon bridges.  In addition, the infantry divisions had units that could change to travel mode and cross the river without the need for bridges.

Non-Phased Play

By turn 4, the Soviet AI had created one pontoon bridge and units were changing to travel mode to cross the pontoon bridge.

It its not about the AI movement across bridges, its about assaults across bridges (or into bridge hexes).
The AI will put units in travel mode for movement just fine but is unable to put units in travel mode to assault across a bridge (or into a bridge hex). Note: It is required to be in Travel Mode to assault across a bridge or into a bridge hex.

Also, if you test this, make sure the AI units CANT cross the hexside without a bridge (canal hexside for example).