• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Korean War
05-03-2019, 07:35 AM,
RE: Korean War
Wow, good work ! I didn't do nearly as well, Steve. I finished the Easy version as the Brits and wound up with a Minor Victory. I'm learning the mechanics of the system as I play. Its a helluva lot of fun !
"Plans are nothing; planning is everything." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2019, 08:44 AM,
RE: Korean War
(05-03-2019, 07:35 AM)beldurax Wrote: Wow, good work !  I didn't do nearly as well, Steve.  I finished the Easy version as the Brits and wound up with a Minor Victory.  I'm learning the mechanics of the system as I play.  Its a helluva lot of fun !

Glad you are enjoying!!  

Remember my suggestion:  After you play a few for fun and basic familiarity - try playing a scenario in "Hotseat" mode with FOW ON.  

This will allow you to play BOTH sides, but still in Fog Of War.  In this mode you can see which of each side's units are visible to the other - - see how your moves as one side are or are not visible to the other side.  See how ranged fire works.  Learn to take advantage of terrain. I always suggest new players do this for a game or three to get an even better feel for how the game mechanics work. 

And a very important tip:   HOLD FIRE

SqB has a sort of weird thing.  Weapons have a quality factor which affects how quickly the effectiveness decreases.  The engine mechanics are attempting to abstract things like ammo depletion; barrel temp; soldier fatigue; tendency to jam or fail mechanically (think M-16 Vietnam:  yikes, ya get like one shot before you're down to throwing rocks!).  You can search this board and see gobs of discussions regarding weapon effectiveness pro and con, but I doubt it will ever go away.  

So Command:Toggle Hold Fire is important.  This prevents the engine automatically firing the weapon as opportunity fire when the other side is moving/firing.  This can also prevent disclosing your location to the enemy.  You must manually select each weapon (or double click a unit or stack) and toggle hold Fire.  Some games have a hotkey for Hold Fire, but KW does not. Learning "Hold Fire" management is KEY to success!
Quote this message in a reply