• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Korean War
04-26-2019, 03:11 AM,
c_Question Mark  Korean War
What is the consensus on SB Korean War ?  I am looking to get into SB, but am wondering what my first title should be.  I wanted to start with something that was non-WW2, and being that I'm a M*A*S*H nut, I thought maybe this title would be a good fit.
"Plans are nothing; planning is everything." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2019, 04:00 AM,
RE: Korean War
KW (Korean War) is a fun title just like 99% of the series.

http://johntillersoftware.com/SquadBattl...anWar.html

Best suggestion is to select a title that you have a strong interest in, and make that your first title to the SB series.

If you grew up playing Squad Leader or Advanced Squad Leader, you will get addicted to the SB series, as so many before you, have.

It is not uncommon to hear someone new to the series say that they had wished they heard or tried out the series years ago.

This series really shines and plays alot better when playing via PBEM.

There is a free Demo that is available for the SB series and that is located here.

http://johntillersoftware.com/Demos.php

There are also 3rd party scenario and art mods available for the series also located over at TF Echo-4

https://tfe4.wordpress.com/sb-game-resou...orean-war/

and here are the best Top-Down mods you can find.

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=71105

If you have any more questions about the series, feel free to ask.

Good Luck!
04-26-2019, 04:19 AM,
Thanks very much for the welcoming reply. I played a fair bit of ASL in high school, and later on in university (who the hell cares about quantum mechanics homework ! ASL modules await !)

Is there any, or a group of, SB title(s) that is/are considered to be a notch above the rest in terms of overall game experience ?

Thanks again !
04-26-2019, 07:55 AM,
Red Victory (RV) has always been arguable considered one of the top SB games to ever be released.

http://johntillersoftware.com/SquadBattl...ctory.html

Eagles Strike is also a long time favorite and very popular title due to the subject matter and also that there are many 3rd party scenarios available for it.

http://johntillersoftware.com/SquadBattl...trike.html

I would also personally recommend Advance of the Reich (AOTR) , Pacific War (PW), The Proud and the Few (PF), Korean War (KW), Dien Bien Phu (DBP), Tour of Duty (TOD), Vietnam (NAM).

I own all of the SB titles listed in above, and with you being an old ASL guy, I strongly feel that you can't go wrong with any of those titles.

It is not required however, if you plan on using 3rd party art mods, I highly suggest you use JSGME to easily help manage all of your non-stock files.

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=65299
04-26-2019, 09:23 AM,
I don't have them all, but love all the ones I have. The games are amazingly adroit at representing the era and armies involved. And they so bring to life the old army adage: 'No plan survives first contact." But, trust me, you need a plan!

I am a guy who just cannot spend thirty -forty minutes on one game turn in a PBEM contest. Real Life demands just don't allow it. That is one practical reason I love SqB! I can actually keep games up and going between 3 - 5 regulars and not feel overwhelmed (except for when THEY overwhelm me!).

SqB brings tactical combat to life. Lots of decisions. Lots of do-or-die risks. Lots of heartbreak and the occasional OMG! Joy and agony bespeak this series.

The later games are arguably better than the earlier releases, but even the early ones have additional scenarios with better balance. RV is personally my least favorite. Perhaps because for some reason I suck at it! I like Eagles Strike. DBP is interesting, but probably not best for a first game. I have Korea but have not played too many for some reason (maybe you could help there . . . ). Perhaps my fav is Pacific War. So many options and different 'feels' to that one. There's even a Japanese versus Soviets scenario (angle to play the Sovs!).

I agree with CR - pick the era/theater which most catches your interest and you will enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! Always some opps here at the blitz for PBEM - which is the way to go - the AI is, well, not so good. The ringers will wipe the floor with you, but if your ego can take it - you will learn from them.

When you start, play a few scenarios in "Hot Seat" mode - - i.e. you play both sides but can use the "Fog-of-War" options. This will greatly help you learn about spotting, cover, ranged fire. So much.

Welcome to the family!

Steve
04-26-2019, 09:37 AM,
(04-26-2019, 09:23 AM)Stejones82 Wrote: I don't have them all, but love all the ones I have.  The games are amazingly adroit at representing the era and armies involved.  And they so bring to life the old army adage: 'No plan survives first contact."  But, trust me, you need a plan!

I am a guy who just cannot spend thirty -forty minutes on one game turn in a PBEM contest.  Real Life demands just don't allow it.  That is one practical reason I love SqB!  I can actually keep games up and going between 3 - 5 regulars and not feel overwhelmed (except for when THEY overwhelm me!).  

SqB brings tactical combat to life.  Lots of decisions.  Lots of do-or-die risks.  Lots of heartbreak and the occasional OMG! Joy and agony bespeak this series.  

The later games are arguably better than the earlier releases, but even the early ones have additional scenarios with better balance.  RV is personally my least favorite.  Perhaps because for some reason I suck at it!  I like Eagles Strike. DBP is interesting, but probably not best for a first game.  I have Korea but have not played too many for some reason (maybe you could help there . . . ). Perhaps my fav is Pacific War. So many options and different 'feels' to that one.  There's even a Japanese versus Soviets scenario (angle to play the Sovs!).  

I agree with CR - pick the era/theater which most catches your interest and you will enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!  Always some opps here at the blitz for PBEM - which is the way to go - the AI is, well, not so good.  The ringers will wipe the floor with you, but if your ego can take it - you will learn from them.

When you start, play a few scenarios in "Hot Seat" mode - - i.e. you play both sides but can use the "Fog-of-War" options.  This will greatly help you learn about spotting, cover, ranged fire.  So much.  

Welcome to the family!  

Steve

Thanks so much, Steve ! :)  I am going to go with SB Korean War, but am wondering about the download links to ftp://wargamer.com for the SB Korean War extra scenarios that are detailed on Task Force Echo 4.  Perhaps Compass Rose could help with that ?  I don't know.
Once I get my bearings with KW, I will definitely keep you in mind as a potential PBEM opponent !

All the best,
Travis
04-26-2019, 10:12 AM,
Hey Travis,

Feel free to email me and let me know exactly what scenarios and/or art mods you are interested in getting, and I will make sure you get them.

Chad
05-01-2019, 10:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2019, 01:19 AM by beldurax.)
Thumbs_Up  Completely hooked
(04-26-2019, 10:12 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Hey Travis,

Feel free to email me and let me know exactly what scenarios and/or art mods you are interested in getting, and I will make sure you get them.

Chad

Thanks Chad for getting all of those mods to me via email.  I play with the scenario mods enabled, but not the graphics mods, as I like to see the game as it was originally intended.

For the first week I have been reading the user manual and the getting started document and to be honest have been a bit intimidated.  It was not until this morning before work did I decided to tackle the Commando Courage scenario.  Now I am completely hooked on the SB system.  It sucked me right in.  I almost crapped my pants when the Chinese first executed a human wave, I could not believe it !  So much fun, I don't know how much work I am going to get done here at the office today, I am going to be thinking about that scenario today (I left off at turn 9 of 12)

Thanks for all of your help, Chad !
All the best, Travis
05-02-2019, 03:31 AM,
RE: Completely hooked
For the first week I have been reading the user manual and the getting started document and to be honest have been a bit intimidated.  It was not until this morning before work did I decided to tackle the Commando Courage scenario.  Now I am completely hooked on the SB system.  It sucked me right in.  I almost crapped my pants when the Chinese first executed a human wave, I could not believe it !  So much fun, I don't know how much work I am going to get done here at the office today, I am going to be thinking about that scenario today (I left off at turn 9 of 12)

Thanks for all of your help, Chad !
All the best, Travis

Hmm ------ I'm beginning to wonder if KW is the forgotten game, Like Korea was the forgotten War.  I played the Commando Courage - Hard as the ALlies this morning.  Great fun.  I got the major victory!  

I advanced to take the objective and then threw some Bren-armed troops on the Hills and a defensive line between.  All was going pretty well until Lo and Behold, troops Beam down behind my right flank!! Where-the-hell-did-they-come-from!!! Fortunately, I had the Co Squad with the bazooka right there, and they got a pin first volley.  I also had goofed on my arty call, so had one mission left which got the other pin.  That pretty much took care of that.  

Withstood the Human Waves and ended up with some minor pushing back (mostly to capture the flamethrower ... ... ... I love flamethrowers!).  Casualty ratio was 4 Chinese to 1 Brit - not bad for me, and pretty typical for the real war, if I am not mistaken! 

Anyway, it was a great fun scen to play solo, and has intrigued my interest in KW!
05-03-2019, 05:37 AM,
Finished the Commandos Courage - Hard scenario as the ChiComms today. Major Victory with total annihilation of all British troops - the poor blighters. It was fun! Casualty ratio was 2 Brit to 1 Chinese.