• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

France '40 Gold Team Game
01-08-2019, 09:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2019, 09:15 PM by ComradeP.)
RE: France '40 Gold Team Game
Credit for trying to get the team game on the road should go to 2-81 Armor first, even though he bowed out after the thread took a negative turn.

The Allies have some A quality ships, but A quality ground units? The best divisions are (mostly, often with lower quality support units) B as far as I can tell.

The Germans do have the option of parking units somewhere for a few turns to recover fatigue, as it's a long campaign, and the Quality Fatigue Modifier would harm their D quality infantry as well. The vast majority of the Allied air units are recon flights, and unless the units are within visual range they can't be shelled or bombed if Indirect Fire/Air Strikes by the map is off. Note that units spotted by Patrolling units can't be targeted either.

After some consideration, I don't think it would actually harm the Allied E quality units all that much in a relative sense as they're likely to drop to No Morale fairly quickly anyway from something like Low Ammo+Disrupted. Those units are likely to melt away with or without the Quality Fatigue Modifier. Still, we might want to leave the QFM rule off if the campaign was balanced for play without it, even though I like the rule.

Visibility is an excellent 4-5 hexes for most days and 0 Storm chance, aside from the last week of May when there's a small chance of Soft conditions occurring and a 70% Storm chance on the 27th, as well as two days with a maximum visibility of 2 hexes: the 27th and 30th. Due to the fairly flat terrain, spotting enemy units shouldn't be too difficult without Recon Spotting, though there will be instances of both sides driving into something. That will always happen as there are not enough recon units to cover every hex anyway.

For Optional Rules, I'll put the following suggestion on the table:

As the game was seemingly balanced with Alt targeting rules active, we could play with 3 out of 4 as due to concerns for not being able to successfully assault bunkers mentioned earlier I don't think using the Alt Assault rule is a good idea.

All default rules minus Alt Assault.

-Alt Indirect Fire
-Alt Air Strike
-Alt Direct Fire
-Artillery Set Up.
-Low Visibility Air Effect
-Night Fatigue.
-Limited Air Recon.
-Programmed Weather as suggested by the scenario description.
-Delayed Disruption Reporting for gameplay (no cherry picking) and balance (the alt rules might lead to multiple disruptions from a single attack) reasons.

As the campaign was seemingly balanced for map-wide high local supply values due to not using VST, we might want to leave that option off.

Does anyone object to this?
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2019, 12:01 AM,
(01-08-2019, 09:03 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Credit for trying to get the team game on the road should go to 2-81 Armor first, even though he bowed out after the thread took a negative turn.

The Allies have some A quality ships, but A quality ground units? The best divisions are (mostly, often with lower quality support units) B as far as I can tell.

The Germans do have the option of parking units somewhere for a few turns to recover fatigue, as it's a long campaign, and the Quality Fatigue Modifier would harm their D quality infantry as well. The vast majority of the Allied air units are recon flights, and unless the units are within visual range they can't be shelled or bombed if Indirect Fire/Air Strikes by the map is off. Note that units spotted by Patrolling units can't be targeted either.

After some consideration, I don't think it would actually harm the Allied E quality units all that much in a relative sense as they're likely to drop to No Morale fairly quickly anyway from something like Low Ammo+Disrupted. Those units are likely to melt away with or without the Quality Fatigue Modifier. Still, we might want to leave the QFM rule off if the campaign was balanced for play without it, even though I like the rule.

Visibility is an excellent 4-5 hexes for most days and 0 Storm chance, aside from the last week of May when there's a small chance of Soft conditions occurring and a 70% Storm chance on the 27th, as well as two days with a maximum visibility of 2 hexes: the 27th and 30th. Due to the fairly flat terrain, spotting enemy units shouldn't be too difficult without Recon Spotting, though there will be instances of both sides driving into something. That will always happen as there are not enough recon units to cover every hex anyway.

As the game was seemingly balanced with Alt targeting rules active, we could play with 3 out of 4 as due to concerns for not being able to successfully assault bunkers mentioned earlier I don't think using the Alt Assault rule is a good idea.

-Alt Indirect Fire
-Alt Air Strike
-Alt Direct Fire
-Artillery Set Up.
-Night Fatigue.
-Limited Air Recon.
-Delayed Disruption Reporting for gameplay (no cherry picking) and balance (the alt rules might lead to multiple disruptions from a single attack) reasons.

As the campaign was seemingly balanced for map-wide high local supply values due to not using VST, we might want to leave that option off.

Works for me! Now we will have to see what the German side counters with!
01-09-2019, 01:27 AM,
Like I mentioned it before a few pages back, locking zones of control is the only rule I don't care for.
01-09-2019, 04:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2019, 04:59 AM by ComradeP.)
As the ZOC movement multiplier is 0, the only difference between the rule being on or off is that units cán move ZOC to ZOC into hexes occupied by friendly units if it's off, but otherwise can't move ZOC to ZOC.

I've never played with "true" locking ZOCs and don't fancy finding out what that's like. Being able to move into hexes held by friendly units has always seemed like an elegant mechanic to me and I like how it works in practice though if you're not careful, the rescuing unit might (also) be isolated.
01-09-2019, 05:33 AM,
I agree with ComradeP, true locking ZOCs, where a unit can not move into a friendly occupied hex, is not something I play with...I don't think it's realistic to not allow an isolated unit to move into an adjacent occupied hex.

It's still very cumbersome to try to get the units out, but more realistic IMO.
01-09-2019, 09:34 AM,
Guys,

Please do not start your game until we get a mini patch to you. Mike and team have fixed some issues in various scenarios and you will find 3rd Panzer is not released until very late in the campaign for example. I’m certain the Allies would be happy with that, the Germans less so!

David
01-09-2019, 12:00 PM,
(01-08-2019, 09:03 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Credit for trying to get the team game on the road should go to 2-81 Armor first, even though he bowed out after the thread took a negative turn.

-Alt Indirect Fire
-Alt Air Strike
-Alt Direct Fire
-Artillery Set Up.
-Night Fatigue.
-Limited Air Recon.

I second that, credit goes to 2-81 Armor for orchestrating this team game.

As for the Optional Rules, I agree with all suggested.
01-09-2019, 11:46 PM,
(01-09-2019, 09:34 AM)Strela Wrote: Guys,

Please do not start your game until we get a mini patch to you. Mike and team have fixed some issues in various scenarios and you will find 3rd Panzer is not released until very late in the campaign for example. I’m certain the Allies would be happy with that, the Germans less so!

David

Thanks for the heads up David!
01-10-2019, 01:36 AM,
Sorry I missed this.
01-10-2019, 09:39 AM,
(01-10-2019, 01:36 AM)iley Wrote: Sorry I missed this.

We haven't started yet, you can still join either team.