• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

France '40 Gold Team Game
01-01-2019, 04:54 AM,
RE: France '40 Gold Team Game
I'm fine with waiting a little bit to see if any other players want to join in.

I'm also fine using the play sequence you outlined. I like the idea of the first player receiving the turn after the last player on the side has moved. It's a good idea to QA the turn before sending it to the other team. This scenario is so big that it's easy to overlook something.
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2019, 04:55 AM,
(12-31-2018, 07:51 PM)Plain Ian Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 06:02 PM)ComradeP Wrote: The replay for a scenario of campaign size might be as long as a movie   on turns with a lot of combat, but I agree that it's worth looking at by all players.

If the first player uses video capture software to make an avi/MP4 file then each player can fast forward it to their sector. The only snag might be that everyone is using different sized LCD's and the screen size is set by the first person. 

Nothing worse than watching a large PzC replay just to catch a part of it that interests you.

An excellent idea!  What software do you use for video capture?
01-01-2019, 08:29 AM,
(01-01-2019, 04:55 AM)Der Landser Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 07:51 PM)Plain Ian Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 06:02 PM)ComradeP Wrote: The replay for a scenario of campaign size might be as long as a movie   on turns with a lot of combat, but I agree that it's worth looking at by all players.

If the first player uses video capture software to make an avi/MP4 file then each player can fast forward it to their sector. The only snag might be that everyone is using different sized LCD's and the screen size is set by the first person. 

Nothing worse than watching a large PzC replay just to catch a part of it that interests you.

An excellent idea!  What software do you use for video capture?

I use Screenpresso. I use the freeware version so I'm restricted to recording and making avi files. I've tried attaching an avi file so you can watch it in Widows Media but they are not allowed.

Check out the website or search for similar software.
01-01-2019, 08:41 AM,
Thank you Ian, I'll check it out.
01-01-2019, 12:33 PM,
(01-01-2019, 02:53 AM)2-81 Armor Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 08:55 PM)Dodo98 Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 12:41 PM)2-81 Armor Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 11:43 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: The only thing or the main things I see with team games is watching your flanks with you partners unless you are told not to worry about them at this time and be willing to give or take forces on an as needed basis.  Other than what you(CinC) or somebody else as CinC decide on a plan at that time, you just play your game.  

The only rule I don't care for is locking ZOC.  Other than that, I'm good.  I will still play with it if majority wants it.

The last team I did was Minsk.  I didn't get to finish because a stroke put me out of action for a couple of years.  I just started playing again 3-4 months ago.

I'm more worried about getting the mechanics right for team play. The way I remember it, a side's CinC gets the game save from the other team's CinC and then (1) moves and conducts combat with any forces he directly controls, and performs any admin tasks needed (like placing reinforcements, etc). When he is done, he then (2) passes the game file, being careful NOT to select "end turn" to the next player on the team, who then moves and does combat with his forces. Each team member does the same thing, again being careful NOT to select "end turn". Once the last team member is finished he sends the game file back to the CinC , again NOT using "end turn". Once the CinC gets the game file from the last team member he then "ends turn", and sends it to the other team's CinC. That's what I remember. Do I have this right?

All the options and particulars about the scenario we choose to play along with "house" rules can be worked out once we've got the teams up and running. (For what it's worth I dislike locking ZOC's too, but will also go with what the majority wants.)

I'm also wondering if it would be feasible to use a voice/text chat program (like Discord - it's free) for planning and admin purposes as we get organized? We'd have to take into account the fact that everyone is not going to be in the same time zone or country, so we'd have to set days and times to use such a thing that works with everyone's schedule. The two teams could even establish separate "channels" in order to discuss strategies and coordinate among themselves. Just a thought...everybody might not have a headset or mic though. In that case the text chat feature could still be an option. Any opinions on this?

Right it looks like Allies: 2-81 Armor, Der Landser, ComradeP, and for the Germans: Leibchen and you (OJW). We'd need at least one more German at a minimum to get started I think, unless anybody else has a better idea?
I would like to join the german side. I had expressed my interest a few days ago, but that must have been overlooked.  Smile
Ok then, it looks like Allies: 2-81 Armor, Der Landser, ComradeP. Germans: Liebchen, Outlaw Josey Wales, Dodo98.
If everyone could confirm that would be great.

Should we close this now and lock the teams with three per side, or could we wait a little longer and see if we can add a 4th player to both or either sides? Four might get cumbersome, but on the other hand it would allow teams to have a dedicated CinC, with three field commanders if they want. 

On turn exchanges and replays, if I'm understanding things correctly, in order to have everyone view the replay we should have the first player to receive the .btl file from the other side send it everyone on his team, and once they have seen the replay, and say they have done so, player one then does his portion and passes THAT file down the line. Players then do their turns overwriting the file they viewed for the replay, (everyone being sure not to "end turn") until the last player in line is finished. The last player can either "end turn", and then send it to the other side, OR pass it back to his side's player one, who will "end turn" and send to the other side.

Am I right about that? Also, earlier OJW mentioned the possibility of somebody having their turn skipped by accident. That's why I believe player one on both teams should be the first and last to get the file, and be the one who sends it to the other team. Sort of a quality control measure.

You can have a "lead" player, or not. The important thing is that every player gets the enemy file. It's possible to send an end-turn file to the other team as a group, too.

In my last team game, someone would receive the file (who evolved as the game evolved and players came/went), and then share it with teammates. Then one player would usually volunteer to go, announcing it to their team so that no one else starts. They then distribute it to their teammates, and the last player can either hit "end turn" and send to the other team, or they can send it (un-ended) to their "team captain" for final review.
01-02-2019, 11:35 PM,
I'm sorry guys, but you will have to find someone else to play on the german side. I'm too busy in the coming months to participate in such a huge campaign game. I thought at first, I would get this done, but it would be too much to handle for me at the moment.
01-03-2019, 12:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2019, 02:36 AM by Kool Kat.)
Gents: Smoke7

Cautionary note.    Smile

Lead players, screen recordings, voice/chat programs, 3-4 players per side... your campaign game is ballooning into an unwieldy and super complex endeavor.   Yikes

I suggest you boil the complexity down to a more manageable simmer!  Wink

Proposed Structure:

- Two players per side. (Two Allies / Two Germans)
- Use Google Docs to store current turn file. 

Example of turn sequence:

(1.) German Player 1 moves his units / conducts battles. Does NOT end turn and uploads turn file to his Google Docs. Provides password (For German players only) to German Player 2. 

(2.) German Player 2 clicks on URL link to file in Google Docs, enters password, and downloads turn file to his PC. German Player 2 has set number of days to move his units / conduct battles. German Player 2 moves his units / conducts battles. Ends turn and sends turn file to Allied Player 1.

(3.) Allied Player 1 uploads turn file to his Google Docs (For Allied players only) and provides password for Allied Player 2. Both Allied Player 1 and Allied Player 2 have a set number of days to download and review the turn replay. 

(4.) Allied Player 1 clicks on URL link to file in Google Docs, enters password, and downloads turn file to his PC. Allied Player 1 moves his units / conducts battles. Does NOT end turn and uploads turn file to his Google Docs. 

(5.) Allied Player 2 clicks on URL link to file in Google Docs, enters password, and downloads turn file to his PC. Allied Player 2 has set number of days to move his units / conduct battles. Allied Player 2 moves his units / conducts battles. Ends turn and sends turn file to German Player 1.

(6.) German Player 1 uploads turn file to his Google Docs (For German players only). Both German Player 1 and German Player 2 have a set number of days to download and review the turn replay. 

Repeat Turn Sequences 1 - 6 until game end.

Advantages:

- Two players per side reduces complexity and eliminates need for CinC.
- A set number of days for players to conduct their turns helps facilitate and expedite turn exchanges. 
- Google Docs eliminates need for screen capture recordings and voice/chat programs. All players will have the opportunity to watch turn replays.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
01-03-2019, 02:59 AM,
There are 2 factors that are driving the 3 v 3 or greater play format.  The first is Mike Prucha's recommendation for a 3 v 3 play format.  The second is the sheer number of units per side.

The Allies command 3 French Army Groups including the BEF, the Belgian Army and the Dutch Army which totals 123+ Divisions and all manner of less than Division size attachments.  The Germans command 3 Army Groups and the OKH Reserve totaling 123+ Divisions and many less than Division size attachments.

While 2 players per side could handle these forces, it would become a cumbersome task to maneuver so many units.  I would rather play a 3 v 3 format in order to make the scenario more playable and enjoyable.
01-03-2019, 03:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2019, 03:52 AM by ComradeP.)
I don't think more players automatically leads to a more complex team game, as long as the number suits the size of the scenario. In this case, like Der Landser, I think less than 3 players per side would actually make things more complex due to the number of units each player needs to control and thus also the chance of missing a unit here and there.

Having a Lead Player/CinC makes sense as not everyone might have the time or desire to watch the turn replay, and it's helpful if at least one player watches the replay.

After a new German player is found, we can start the debate about which campaign we're going to play and the house/optional rules to be used.
01-03-2019, 03:58 AM,
Well guys, sorry to say that's it. I'm out, and I really do apologize to all of you for even suggesting this at all. Really, I am sorry, and I'll accept the blame for this not working out. My foxhole is dug pretty deep, and I'll accept all of the incoming.

Things have gotten completely out of hand, and as correctly observed by Kool Kat, it has slowly evolved into something I never envisioned - too big and cumbersome, for me to see any use in continuing.

I still believe that to play the full F'40 Gold campaign scenarios it will take teams due to their size, and unit density. However, I don't think I'm qualified to organize or manage such a thing.

Again, my apologies.