• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Thirty Years War AAR
01-04-2019, 09:21 AM,
RE: Thirty Years War AAR
It's May 1621 and the armies of both sides are on the move.  Pressburg has been reclaimed and Bucquoy will move to get rid of those pesky Hungarians.  I've been playing the card to negotiate them out of the war for over a year now so my 20% chance of being successful should have occurred but I'm chalking it up to my usual luck.  Tilly is approaching Prague to see what the heretics are up to there.  Meanwhile another Protestant force has popped up and moved on Regensburg so Madarass is being sent there to deal with them.  Cordoba continues to invest Mannheim to see what he can accomplish there.

Here is a screenshot of the area from Wien to Linz to Prague

[Image: May-1621-A.jpg]

Now here is the screenshot of part of Bavaria and the Rhine.

[Image: May-1621-B.jpg]

Money continues to be a thorn in my side as I'm very limited in my ability to recruit more troops.  Put a "requistion" in on Pressburg so they can help pay for their salvation from the Protestants.
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2019, 11:48 AM,
Sorry for the long absence folks but had just enough time to do turns.  We pick up our story in September 1621.  HRE troops under Bucquoy have made made a cross country march and surprised the garrison and Protestant forces in Piilsen and in quick strike have taken the city and it's full treasury.  The Protestants sent a force to attack Regensburg but I was able to send Marradas over and drive them off and then he also marched on Pilsen in anticipation of a Protestant counterstroke that didn't appear.  VonMansfield seems content to sit in Prague for now.  However Tilly is about to see how serious he is about it.  The one dark spot on our late summer was that Cordoba was driven from Frankfurt and the city put under siege along with Phillipsburg.  Cordoba moved on Mannheim but isn't strong enough to do much there so he is marching to relieve Phillipsburg.  Marradas has also moved to Nurnberg in preparation for operations in conjunction with Cordoba to bring about the relief of Frankfurt later.  Gabor is still running around being a nuisance.  The Gabor card is supposed to have a 20% chance of removing him through negotiation but I've been playing that damn card for about two years now and still I can't get that necessary die roll to get him to go home.  Sorry about no screen shot but I'll do better next time.
01-18-2019, 08:38 AM,
Sorry no screenshots this turn as well.  Not only has Cordoba lost troops to Flanders he managed to get himself defeated and hurt outside of Karlsruhe.  Marradas is resting in Nurnberg and Bucqouy in Pilsen.  Tilly should be making a play against the Protestant army in Prague this turn.  Rest of my forces are shuffling supply wagons around trying to keep everyone fed and armed.  Bad weather is probably around the corner and if caught out of place I'll suffer some serious losses.  Gabor still labors on but I guess if he is doing a tour of Bavaria he isn't interdicting my supply efforts.  I just ask, how many chances does it take at 20% per turn before we negotiate him out of the war?
01-27-2019, 07:21 AM,
Winter comes again to Central Europe.  Tilly was unable to make any progress at Prague and so will return to Budweiss where a depot is under construction.  Bucquoy will winter in Pilsen and Marradas in Nurnberg.  My position along the Rhine is untenable and what's left of Cordoba's army will retreat to Nurnberg to join Marradas.  Did save the supply wagons that Cordoba had so that could be crucial in the campaigns coming next spring.

[Image: December-1621.jpg]
02-03-2019, 06:10 AM,
Not much new to report this turn except that Gabor still roams around the countryside despite my REPEATED negotiation efforts.  There almost has to be a bug or I have some of the worst luck in AGEOD history.  I know I have bad gaming luck but this is getting a bit ridiculous.  Tilly will overwinter in Budweiss while the HRE orders replacements to beef up the current units.
02-28-2019, 08:33 AM,
Well campaigning season is upon us again.  The main Protestant army went after Bucquoy in Pilsen but we had seen them coming and were leaving anyway as that Protestant army was showing a strength of 1200+ which was way more then he could handle and I didn't want to get stuck there in a siege.  He is headed to join up with the Spanish and see if we can restore some semblance of HRE presence on the Rhine.  Tilly is besieging Prague which should draw that Protestant army back in his direction though Tilly isn't really strong enough to handle him either.  Could sure use some more money to buy troops with!  And a few more leaders as well if you are listening Santa.  Gabor of course still roams around despite my REPEATED efforts to negotiate him out of the war.  Folks on the AGEOD forum agree that I'm just an unlucky SOB and if you've ever played me before you know that to be true.  Sorry about the lack of screen shots, I'll try to do better.
03-15-2019, 04:00 AM,
It is now July 1622 and the HRE seems powerless to stop anything the Protestants want to do.  I'm at a loss at how they are maintaining such a large army in the field when my just seems to bleed away if I amass that many in one spot.  Tilly is trying to get back to Budweiss before the Protestany horde can get there so we can defend the depot there but they have the interior position so it's going to be difficult.  Got some tax money this turn so more troops are ordered up.
03-28-2019, 08:25 AM,
Too depressed to note the month.  Tilly's army has completely disappeared and I'm not really sure why but they are gone.  Pretty sure this is a lost cause now.
05-15-2019, 07:41 AM,
Well a long delayed update.  There is nothing to be thankful for this November as the Protestants press us on all fronts with vastly superior numbers.  We have hunkered down in Linz and have more troops headed to Vienna to hold there.  I can only hope for intervention from our neighbors to bring salvation to the Empire.