• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Thirty Years War AAR
10-24-2018, 08:01 AM,
Thirty Years War AAR
Thought I would try my hand at an AAR in hopes of generating a bit more interest.  This won't be a detailed thing as I'm still learning the details myself but hopefully a big picture thing.

Spent the first months sending troops to relieve the siege of Budweiss and then hunkered down in Linz for the winter, where I had built a depot.  My big worry is keeping up with my supplies so as to not lose more of my army to attrition than combat.  I did get some desperately needed monetary assistance from the Spaniards and the Pope.  Hope they keep that up!  Spring has come with the mud but the pesky Protestant heretics had snuck in and taken Brun with just a Dutch cavalry regiment so we had to put some troops on the move to persuade those lads that they might like the brothels in Amsterdam better.  Moving supply wagons up to Linz so to have enough grub and bullets to accompany the army when we get clear weather. 

Promise to provide more details and some screenshots next time as I'm doing this a bit off the cuff today.
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2018, 10:00 AM,
RE: Thirty Years War AAR
Just a quick update.  The HRE has reclaimed Brunn after a short battle.  Two supply wagons arrive in Linz and join our main army which moves out of it's camps for Budweiss.  Plan to build a depot there to facilitate further moves against the heretics.
11-10-2018, 09:37 AM,
Well the forces of the Emperor seem to have been stalemated everywhere we turn.  I'm unable to advance beyond Budweiss primarily as the Protestant army opposing such a move has many more guns than I and I'm trying to rectify that.  My meager forces in Brunn have been kicked out and the Protestants have taken over there.  Have to regroup and come up with another plan.  In dire need of another leader or two but have never played far enough to know when I can expect another one to appear.  Also, praying nightly to all the saints that the Spanish decide to send some troops.  I've got an account to host pictures but now I've got to figure out how to take the screenshots.  I swear I'll have one here sooner or later.
11-10-2018, 03:47 PM,
Try this for screenshots:
http://www.gen.hardcopy.de/
11-11-2018, 11:24 AM,
Thanks but I've got a hosting site just needed to figure out how to take the screenshot.  Here we are in October of 1619.  The Hungarians just slapped around my cavalry so we are trying to negotiate with them and get them out of the war.  I have the troops but would sell a duke or baron or something to get another leader.

[Image: TYW-October-1619.jpg]
11-11-2018, 12:00 PM,
That program is for taking screenshots.
AFAIk there is no in-game screenshot function.
11-11-2018, 01:18 PM,
I just figured out the best way to alt-tab out to get to the snipping tool I use and then I was good
11-17-2018, 11:34 PM,
Wien is under siege!  Bucquoy is marching from Budweiss to lift the siege though it may not be necessary.  There is a very strong garrison there and winter is soon upon us.  We can send troops to lift the siege as the Spaniards under Marradas have shown up and will defend Budweiss for winter. 

[Image: TYW-November-1619.jpg]
11-19-2018, 03:47 AM,
December 1619 has arrived and with it the harsh weather.  I'm hoping that the harsh weather will send that large Protestant army home that is in the region next to Budweiss and give the Hungarians a reason to leave Wien.  if not I have Bucquoy on the way to relieve the capital and Marradas is firmly entrenched inside Budweiss.  Defensive works have been ordered for Budweiss, several provinces earmarked for further conversion to the One True Faith, and a supply wagon ordered in Linz with the idea that it will be sent to Budweiss to further build up that depot there.  Negotiations were ordered with Bethlen-Gabor to see if they will return home and let us put down the uprising without further interference from that quarter.  Since Marradas will be in Budweiss plans for the spring will have Bucquoy restore order in Pressburg and Brun since he will be in Wien anyway.

[Image: TYW-December-1619.jpg]
11-21-2018, 09:49 AM,
Well it's a new year in the Empire but the old troubles remain.  Bethlen-Gabor still holds Wien under siege but Bucquoy has a slight manpower advantage and we will sortie with another detachment so hopefully that is enough to drive him away.  More  Spanish reinforcements have arrived in Linz but they will sit tight until the weather improves and we make plans for the campaigning season.  I see the big Protestant army that had been threatening Budweiss has moved back towards Prague but was unable to make it in one month so I hope they are suffering in the winter weather.

[Image: January-1620.jpg]