• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

7YW Cannon Unit capture/recapture
10-05-2018, 05:56 AM,
RE: 7YW Cannon Unit capture/recapture
(10-04-2018, 07:19 AM)panther421 Wrote:
(10-04-2018, 06:15 AM)rahamy Wrote: Its very helpful if you could send a game file to the Support account illustrating an issue you see. Preferably one that will allow the situation to be recreated, not just the aftermath. This ensures we are seeing exactly what you are seeing and not some variation there of.

I just sent the file I made to Rich H at JTS.  I didn't see a way to attach a file in the JTS support page message box.

I learned something new.

While playing out the situation, I had the Austrians send infantry to capture a Prussian cannon, and as expected the cannon recrewed and was usable by the Austrians.  I had the Prussians retake the cannon later, and the cannon recrewed.  No surprises.

In another area I had Austrian cavalry capture a Prussian cannon, and as usual the cannon recrewed the next turn and was usable by the Austrians while the cavalry was still in the location with the cannon.

I moved Prussian cavalry to recapture the cannon, which they did.  I continued through a few turns, with the Prussian cavarly in the cannon location, and the cannon remained uncrewed.

I was going to show next Prussian infantry entering the recaptured cannon and then how it would recrew, so I moved an infantry unit next to the cannon, and moved Prussian cavalry out of the cannon unit's location. 

Next movement phase I tried to move the infantry in, but it couldn't due to overstacking.  I then moved some infantry skirmishers towards the cannon, but then checked the cannon and it showed that it had recrewed.

Once the Prussian cavalry exited the Prussian recaptured cannon location, the cannon recrewed from no source, there was no unit to recrew from!

So, the Austrian cavalry was able to capture a Prussian cannon, remain with the cannon, and the cannon would recrew and become usable.  The Prussian cavalry who recaptured a Prussian cannon and stayed in the location could not use the cannon as it would not recrew until the cavalry left the location.

This from the User manual under the cavalry charge section, "Uncrewed artillery":

Unlimbered Artillery by itself is automatically overrun and becomes Uncrewed. In this state, the crew of Artillery unit is considered to have taken shelter, either under their guns or with friendly forces. While the Artillery unit is Uncrewed, it cannot be moved or fired. If at some later time, Infantry on the same side the Artillery unit return to this hex, then crew is considered to have returned their guns and the Artillery unit can be used again.
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2018, 06:08 AM,
(10-05-2018, 05:56 AM)rahamy Wrote:
(10-04-2018, 07:19 AM)panther421 Wrote:
(10-04-2018, 06:15 AM)rahamy Wrote: Its very helpful if you could send a game file to the Support account illustrating an issue you see. Preferably one that will allow the situation to be recreated, not just the aftermath. This ensures we are seeing exactly what you are seeing and not some variation there of.

I just sent the file I made to Rich H at JTS.  I didn't see a way to attach a file in the JTS support page message box.

I learned something new.

While playing out the situation, I had the Austrians send infantry to capture a Prussian cannon, and as expected the cannon recrewed and was usable by the Austrians.  I had the Prussians retake the cannon later, and the cannon recrewed.  No surprises.

In another area I had Austrian cavalry capture a Prussian cannon, and as usual the cannon recrewed the next turn and was usable by the Austrians while the cavalry was still in the location with the cannon.

I moved Prussian cavalry to recapture the cannon, which they did.  I continued through a few turns, with the Prussian cavarly in the cannon location, and the cannon remained uncrewed.

I was going to show next Prussian infantry entering the recaptured cannon and then how it would recrew, so I moved an infantry unit next to the cannon, and moved Prussian cavalry out of the cannon unit's location. 

Next movement phase I tried to move the infantry in, but it couldn't due to overstacking.  I then moved some infantry skirmishers towards the cannon, but then checked the cannon and it showed that it had recrewed.

Once the Prussian cavalry exited the Prussian recaptured cannon location, the cannon recrewed from no source, there was no unit to recrew from!

So, the Austrian cavalry was able to capture a Prussian cannon, remain with the cannon, and the cannon would recrew and become usable.  The Prussian cavalry who recaptured a Prussian cannon and stayed in the location could not use the cannon as it would not recrew until the cavalry left the location.

This from the User manual under the cavalry charge section, "Uncrewed artillery":

Unlimbered Artillery by itself is automatically overrun and becomes Uncrewed. In this state, the crew of Artillery unit is considered to have taken shelter, either under their guns or with friendly forces. While the Artillery unit is Uncrewed, it cannot be moved or fired. If at some later time, Infantry on the same side the Artillery unit return to this hex, then crew is considered to have returned their guns and the Artillery unit can be used again.

I confess I did not read all the user manual, but what you quoted doesn't seem to address what I experienced with cavalry, both when capturing and then recapturing artillery.  I would still suggest that something is not working quite correctly, but perhaps I am missing the designer's intent.
10-05-2018, 08:29 AM,
From the peanut gallery:
Seems like a mismatch of inserting the ACW artillery capture module and the "worse" NB/M&P artillery uncrewing routine. I'd suggest just rewriting the ACW artillery module with the M&P strings and deleting the standard routine. Uncrewing (permanently) by fire like in ACW should also be installed. ACW has better program logic but, worse design implementation than NB and M&P.