• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

7YW Cannon Unit capture/recapture
10-02-2018, 05:51 AM,
7YW Cannon Unit capture/recapture
Something that seems odd to me is how when a cannon unit is captured, the capturing side auto crews it, and it can be fired the next phase.  But, if the original owning side recaptures the cannon unit, the cannon is uncrewed, and can't be used.  There doesn't seem to be a way to recrew the cannon, and it doesn't auto recrew like when it was captured.
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2018, 12:55 PM,
RE: 7YW Cannon Unit capture/recapture
I just did some checking, and it seemed to be working. Now, the crewing setup is kind of fussy. You need to leave an infantry unit in the hex with the cannon for a full turn. Also, if that creates an overstack, that gives some headaches.
Scenario Designer JTS Midway JTS Seven Years War JTS Wolfpack WDS Kriegsmarine
10-02-2018, 01:06 PM,
(10-02-2018, 12:55 PM)Gary McClellan Wrote: I just did some checking, and it seemed to be working.  Now, the crewing setup is kind of fussy.  You need to leave an infantry unit in the hex with the cannon for a full turn.  Also, if that creates an overstack, that gives some headaches.

Thanks Gary,
Most of the time I've been recapturing cannon with cavalry, so that explains the recapture and no crew question.

I have observed that even when capturing cannon with cavalry, the captured cannon is ready to shoot next player turn, no infantry involved. 

Just seems too easy for the capturing side to get those cannon back operating.  But, I don't know the history in detail, so I'm just guessing.  I just wanted to bring the situation up in case there is a problem.
10-02-2018, 01:34 PM,
I just did more testing and saw how capturing/recapturing with infantry will recrew the cannon after a turn. I'm sure this is as the designer intended.

When I did the same using cavalry, the cannon unit captured by cavalry did recrew in a turn, as if it had been captured by infantry. So the enemy cavalry was able to recrew the cannon.

The big difference is if the captured cannon is recaptured using friendly cavalry only, the original owner will not see the cannon recrew as long as cavalry is in the location. I cycled through 6 turns, with many good order Prussian cavalry with a recaptured Prussian cannon unit and it never recrewed.
10-03-2018, 05:11 AM,
Hrms, I'll have to do some testing on that on my end to see what all's going on. Thanks for the headsup
Scenario Designer JTS Midway JTS Seven Years War JTS Wolfpack WDS Kriegsmarine
10-03-2018, 05:31 AM,
I'm running 7YW with the patch sent out to make it version 1.01 in case that might matter.
10-04-2018, 06:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-04-2018, 06:06 AM by LFDLM.)
Do you notice that leave and recapture a gun cancel the out of ammo ? It's weird too...
10-04-2018, 06:15 AM,
Its very helpful if you could send a game file to the Support account illustrating an issue you see. Preferably one that will allow the situation to be recreated, not just the aftermath. This ensures we are seeing exactly what you are seeing and not some variation there of.
10-04-2018, 06:28 AM,
Ok, will do.
10-04-2018, 07:19 AM,
(10-04-2018, 06:15 AM)rahamy Wrote: Its very helpful if you could send a game file to the Support account illustrating an issue you see. Preferably one that will allow the situation to be recreated, not just the aftermath. This ensures we are seeing exactly what you are seeing and not some variation there of.

I just sent the file I made to Rich H at JTS.  I didn't see a way to attach a file in the JTS support page message box.

I learned something new.

While playing out the situation, I had the Austrians send infantry to capture a Prussian cannon, and as expected the cannon recrewed and was usable by the Austrians.  I had the Prussians retake the cannon later, and the cannon recrewed.  No surprises.

In another area I had Austrian cavalry capture a Prussian cannon, and as usual the cannon recrewed the next turn and was usable by the Austrians while the cavalry was still in the location with the cannon.

I moved Prussian cavalry to recapture the cannon, which they did.  I continued through a few turns, with the Prussian cavarly in the cannon location, and the cannon remained uncrewed.

I was going to show next Prussian infantry entering the recaptured cannon and then how it would recrew, so I moved an infantry unit next to the cannon, and moved Prussian cavalry out of the cannon unit's location. 

Next movement phase I tried to move the infantry in, but it couldn't due to overstacking.  I then moved some infantry skirmishers towards the cannon, but then checked the cannon and it showed that it had recrewed.

Once the Prussian cavalry exited the Prussian recaptured cannon location, the cannon recrewed from no source, there was no unit to recrew from!

So, the Austrian cavalry was able to capture a Prussian cannon, remain with the cannon, and the cannon would recrew and become usable.  The Prussian cavalry who recaptured a Prussian cannon and stayed in the location could not use the cannon as it would not recrew until the cavalry left the location.